Poll: Do you listen to the podcasts regularly?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Do you listen to the podcasts regularly?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2013, 02:59 PM
RE: Do you listen to the podcasts regularly?
(23-03-2013 12:48 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(23-03-2013 11:30 AM)Heathen Wrote:  I listened to my first podcast last night (#89) and really enjoyed it! Seth was outstanding!

My only complaint is the audio quality. It sounded as though everything was miked and recorded properly but then put through a meat grinder to encode it to mp3. This is a common problem with podcasts and it annoys the shit outta me. If not for the quality of the content I would have bailed after 2 minutes. Still looking for recommendations and hoping for better audio on subsequent episodes

I've always been disappointed in the audio quality. But when you think about it, if it were any higher quality and still > 1 hour it would be really big, take much longer to download, and take up eve more space on our devices.

I do wish there were a way to get better sound quality at that compression level though. Perhaps it's the codex being used.

I think Seth has blamed BTR for the audio quality in the past.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2013, 03:08 PM
This is an area (mp3 encoding) that I do know a bit about. Space has become a non-issue over the past decade, as has download speed. There is no reason for people to subject their ears to substandard audio these days. If I had to guess, this is 16K using a codec that is so bad I've never heard of it. I love listening to Seth (I'm half way through the 100th episode) but it's worse than listening to Stephen Hawking in a sewer, but Stephen I can excuse. This is really frustrating. Outstanding content but barely listenable. I listened to his recent message about the whole podcast/ pay for service issue. I'm going out on a limb here but based on what I've heard so far I think I would be willing to actually pay for better audio. Considering a donation anyway though.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
23-03-2013, 03:23 PM
(23-03-2013 03:08 PM)Heathen Wrote:  This is an area (mp3 encoding) that I do know a bit about. Space has become a non-issue over the past decade, as has download speed. There is no reason for people to subject their ears to substandard audio these days. If I had to guess, this is 16K using a codec that is so bad I've never heard of it. I love listening to Seth (I'm half way through the 100th episode) but it's worse than listening to Stephen Hawking in a sewer, but Stephen I can excuse. This is really frustrating. Outstanding content but barely listenable. I listened to his recent message about the whole podcast/ pay for service issue. I'm going out on a limb here but based on what I've heard so far I think I would be willing to actually pay for better audio. Considering a donation anyway though.
I am just wondering, how are you listening to it?

I don't have sound problems when I listen through iTunes (aside from with early episodes).
Maybe it's just because I don't know the first thing tech wise about recording and am used to hearing poor quality audio?

23-03-2013, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2013 06:46 PM by Heathen.)
I'm getting it from iTunes.
Yes, I think that you are. It's awful.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
23-03-2013, 07:04 PM
(23-03-2013 06:31 PM)Heathen Wrote:  I'm getting it from iTunes.
Yes, I think that you are. It's awful.

You people have such ridiculously high standards.

It's sounds fine for me.

23-03-2013, 07:26 PM
I can get the podcasts with good quality from both. Now there is a lag of a day or two before they are on Itunes.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
23-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Yes, I demand a high standard when I'm listening to music.

Spoken word is a different animal. This a common issue and TTA is not alone. Spoken word does not require much to sound acceptable. We're really only talking about a difference of seconds in the download process and a file size that's equivalent to a couple average quality music tracks for a one hour program to make a HUGE difference. I listen to a lot of podcasts and I'm pretty forgiving but this is really awful. Please don't think that I'm picking on TTA specifically.

I'm glad that you enjoy it! I wish I could too, but I'm having a hard time with it.

23-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I guess I am used to it. I starting listening to the podcast of a radio talk show I liked that stopped being carried in my area. Then we moved several states away and I kept on with the podcast. It did take a little while to get used to it and I made some changes to settings on my headphones till I got it where it was okay. The transition to TTA wasn't too bad for me.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
23-03-2013, 07:39 PM
I'm going to stick with it. The content is certainly well worth it.

[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post
23-03-2013, 08:56 PM
Do you listen to the podcasts regularly?
What I find interesting is that the sound quality being provided to Seth is even substandard as some other podcasts go. The Nature and Science Friday casts have far superior sound quality. Neither of them are frustrating to listen to. Their content is usually abut shorter than Seth's though. That's where I got the idea perhaps TTA casts were being streamlined. Who is BTR?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Listen to TTA podcasts on Android Caveman 5 659 24-01-2014 07:29 PM
Last Post: lucradis
  Transcibing the Podcasts idea Near 5 737 02-11-2013 03:57 PM
Last Post: Paj