Poll: Do you listen to the podcasts regularly?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Do you listen to the podcasts regularly?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2013, 02:59 AM
RE: Do you listen to the podcasts regularly?
I just found them on the weekend. I spent Sunday downloading as many as I could fit on my phone. I spend a lot of my day on a forklift, and I'm getting through 4 a day.. Is that regular enough for you?

I wish I could listen live and participate, but the time difference makes it nearly impossible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2013, 11:04 AM
I don't listen all that regularly, but that's just because I get on "kicks" of various topics - like, if I'm on a writing kick, then I'll be looking up everything to do with writing, really immersing myself in it, whereas if I'm on an atheism kick I'll be listening to Hitchens' debates or TTA videos on YouTube, etcetera. So the desire to immerse myself in any one topic comes and goes.

10-11-2013, 12:38 PM
VERY regularly. I use the Stitcher app on my phone. TTA is on my favorites list so when the new one is up, I can consume it right away. I rarely listen to any live shows other than NPR and that's only when I do not have new podcasts to listen to.
26-05-2014, 09:21 PM
I read Deconverted a year or so back and I have just now finished listening to the (Audible) audio book version.
The difference in audio quality between the podcast and audio book is night and day.
I assume the audio book was recorded in Seth's home studio where he does the podcasts. It would be great if they could up the bitrate on their encodes or if Blogtalk radio had an option to use aac encoding instead of mp3 which would give a better quality at a lower bitrate.

Can't comment on the podcasts available from itunes as I don't have itunes or even any apple or windows products that would allow me to use it - as apple refuses to support Linux.
27-05-2014, 07:55 AM
(26-05-2014 09:21 PM)farcus Wrote:  I read Deconverted a year or so back and I have just now finished listening to the (Audible) audio book version.
The difference in audio quality between the podcast and audio book is night and day.
I assume the audio book was recorded in Seth's home studio where he does the podcasts. It would be great if they could up the bitrate on their encodes or if Blogtalk radio had an option to use aac encoding instead of mp3 which would give a better quality at a lower bitrate.

Can't comment on the podcasts available from itunes as I don't have itunes or even any apple or windows products that would allow me to use it - as apple refuses to support Linux.

I only understood around 50% of what you said but welcome to the forum anyway.

Smile

27-05-2014, 08:01 AM
(27-05-2014 07:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I only understood around 50% of what you said but welcome to the forum anyway.

Smile

hmmmm . . . Smile
A little earlier in this thread there was a discussion about the poor audio quality of the podcasts. I was commenting on that and that I agree. Compared to the audio quality of the audiobook version of Deconverted (recorded in the same studio by the same reader/broadcaster as the podcasts) the audio quality of the podcasts is quite poor. You can hear the artefacts in the podcast audio suggesting an overly compressed mp3 file.

But thanks for the welcome. I've actually been listening to the podcasts for more than a couple of years now but just joined the forums today. Smile
27-05-2014, 08:05 AM
(27-05-2014 08:01 AM)farcus Wrote:  
(27-05-2014 07:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I only understood around 50% of what you said but welcome to the forum anyway.

Smile

hmmmm . . . Smile
A little earlier in this thread there was a discussion about the poor audio quality of the podcasts. I was commenting on that and that I agree. Compared to the audio quality of the audiobook version of Deconverted (recorded in the same studio by the same reader/broadcaster as the podcasts) the audio quality of the podcasts is quite poor. You can hear the artefacts in the podcast audio suggesting an overly compressed mp3 file.

But thanks for the welcome. I've actually been listening to the podcasts for more than a couple of years now but just joined the forums today. Smile

Good to have you here.

This is an older thread so there are unlikely to be many replies.

Jump right in to some of the newer ones and fill yer boots. Smile

27-05-2014, 09:30 AM
Do you listen to the podcasts regularly?
(26-05-2014 09:21 PM)farcus Wrote:  I read Deconverted a year or so back and I have just now finished listening to the (Audible) audio book version.

You can download them all here in mp3 format:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast

And even though there's no native iTunes support, there is a workaround for Linux users:

http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunesu...-Linux.htm

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
27-05-2014, 09:39 AM
I think I've listened to one or two, I normally don't have the attention span.
27-05-2014, 10:19 AM
(27-05-2014 09:30 AM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  You can download them all here in mp3 format:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast

And even though there's no native iTunes support, there is a workaround for Linux users:

http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunesu...-Linux.htm

Thanks. I'm aware of workarounds to get itunes on linux . . .but I have no desire to use such a closed off platform.

Googling around it seems that poor audio quality is a common complaint among blogtalk radio listeners.

The audio link put up on The Thinking Atheist website is just a link to blogtalk radio downloads. What would be great is if Seth was to host and upload higher quality audio on the TTA website rather than just linking to Blogtalkradio.
[+] 1 user Likes farcus's post