Do you live dangerously?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2016, 08:17 AM
RE: Do you live dangerously?
(28-12-2016 08:09 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(28-12-2016 06:46 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Let's leave Norm out of this...

Surely you must be joking.......

{waiting for it}

Don't call me Shirley!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2016, 08:17 AM
When my good friend Jim died of leukemia when he was only in his 30s, he said to me:

"It just isn't fair. I eat right, exercise, I did everything right. You eat what you want, drink what you want, smoke what you want and just generally ignore your health, and I have to die now while you probably live for ever.

He was right, life isn't fair. You can better your chances at a few extra years by living for physical health. Jim was successful - he didn't have a heart attack or stroke, nor many other things you can get from living dangerously.

Me, I'm hoping for that massive heart attack some day (although I take my blood pressure meds). Massive heart attacks are quick...many, like my dad's, so fast that you are never aware...

For me, it's not about tacking a few extra years on when your body is already failing you in so many ways. For me it's about a life well lived and enjoyed, and a painless death.

So, yes, I live dangerously. So do you, even if you "do everything right".

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
28-12-2016, 10:10 AM
B.C. (before child), I was one to try just about anything once.

Now I am decidedly more cautious because I am responsible for other human life.
Living on the edge now means two glasses of wine instead of one. lol

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
28-12-2016, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't say I live dangerously but I like adventure: like learning Krav Maga, rock climbing, ultralight backpacking, practicing contortion, swimming with sharks, and I would love to try sky diving. I feel I take calculated risks and try to do everything as safely as possible, so not really living dangerously, but living life.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
28-12-2016, 10:26 AM
I drink more than I should, take mass transit and the subways in NYC. Sometimes I eat food from street vendors. It's a miracle I'm not dead yet.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
28-12-2016, 10:43 AM
I used to be a thrill seeker in my twenties if you count motorcycling, climbing and spelunking. I was never mindful of what I ate either.

But now I think it matters a great deal what I eat and I try to avoid putting myself in harm's way. At 63, extra weight on top of creaky joints and less nimble reflexes is not a good combination. I've got my weight down to 200 and plan to go after my target weight of 175 in the new year. Right now I'm immersed in a big effort to get my garden ready for a garden conservancy open day in April. But after that I want to explore yoga.

For me it isn't so much a question of tacking on a couple more dreary years as making the dregs more enjoyable by being fitter and more energetic. How we fuel our old bodies is a lot more critical than what you throw in a twenty year old body. I've always enjoyed doing things but no longer need to "test my limits" - since that wouldn't be too hard to do anyhow. Right now the most dangerous thing I do is climb ladders with chainsaws .. something I'm very ambivalent about. But so long as it feels like I can take enough precautions, I'll probably go on being a cheap bastard.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
28-12-2016, 11:08 AM
I dick around with my neurotransmitters.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-12-2016, 11:12 AM
(28-12-2016 08:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  When my good friend Jim died of leukemia when he was only in his 30s, he said to me:

"It just isn't fair. I eat right, exercise, I did everything right. You eat what you want, drink what you want, smoke what you want and just generally ignore your health, and I have to die now while you probably live for ever.

He was right, life isn't fair. You can better your chances at a few extra years by living for physical health. Jim was successful - he didn't have a heart attack or stroke, nor many other things you can get from living dangerously.

Me, I'm hoping for that massive heart attack some day (although I take my blood pressure meds). Massive heart attacks are quick...many, like my dad's, so fast that you are never aware...

For me, it's not about tacking a few extra years on when your body is already failing you in so many ways. For me it's about a life well lived and enjoyed, and a painless death.

[Image: 0373469253cc5924bf23cd227e239146.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
28-12-2016, 11:57 AM
I work on a farm. There's pretty much a limitless amount of ways I can get flattened, fall to my death, blown up, incinerated or chopped to pieces. I can avoid all of them if I try not to work like an idiot or work with idiots.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
28-12-2016, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2016 01:21 PM by Gloucester.)
(28-12-2016 08:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  When my good friend Jim died of leukemia when he was only in his 30s, he said to me:

No, you do not really want a heart attack unless it kills you before you even realise what is happening!

I think I had two, or one in two parts. I still remember the incredible pain, cold sweat literally dripping off my hands when I staggered into the loo and dumped everything in my digestive system.

I had no idea what was happening, totally confused, dizzy and feeling like I had been shot in the chest. I almost crawled back to sort of lie on the bed and then passed out.

Only to have it all happen again about 3 hours later.

I managed to get my neighbour to take me to the hospital, took every bit of determination I possesed to make thst phone call and get trousers and a sweat shirt on. I made it to ER reception before collapsing again.

No, you do not want anything like that. Better a nice aortic aneurism or a swift dose of ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation. Then you just feel a bit dizzy and . . .

No pain at all.

(Had the ventricular tachy, seven times, my implant stopped it before it made me at least brain damaged - I think...)

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.