Do you pretend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 11:01 AM
Do you pretend?
My fellow Atheists, do you pretend to be a Christian at times? If so, what are the circumstances?

I pretend if I think it will hurt me professionally. I also pretend around Christians as a form of entertainment (being a POE). It's amazing how an Atheist can get the holy spirit fired up in a Christian. Funny shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
19-12-2016, 11:09 AM
RE: Do you pretend?
No. There are situations where I just don't say anything, but I don't ever pretend to be a believer.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
19-12-2016, 11:10 AM
(19-12-2016 11:01 AM)KUSA Wrote:  My fellow Atheists, do you pretend to be a Christian at times? If so, what are the circumstances?

I pretend if I think it will hurt me professionally. I also pretend around Christians as a form of entertainment (being a POE). It's amazing how an Atheist can get the holy spirit fired up in a Christian. Funny shit.

I'm still trying to pretend the deus deceptor ain't making all this shit up.

#sigh
19-12-2016, 11:10 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 01:36 PM by Loom.)
I do it at work. Normally it's due to customers, who insist on telling me about gawd's beautiful creation while I'm working in the garden center. I usually nod and agree everything is beautiful without mentioning god. Other times I have to feign pure Christianity. I'm too scared not to.

Had a lady last year ask me not so politely to tell her Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, and I went along with it just to keep her moving.

It sucks but most people seem to assume I'm Christian because of how nice I am (cuz obviously atheists aren't...y'know, nice people!), so I end up acting the part so as to maintain a good relationship.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 4 users Like Loom's post
19-12-2016, 11:19 AM
I have not had to do that in decades, the most I will do is nod and mutter nice things, but only a complete fool would interpret it as a sign of faith. Sadly it works on most of the faithful.
19-12-2016, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 19-12-2016 11:38 AM by jennybee.)
(19-12-2016 11:10 AM)Loom Wrote:  I do it at work. Normally it's due to customers, who insist on telling me about gawd's beautiful creation while I'm working in the garden center. I usually nod and agree everything is beautiful without mentioning god. Other times I have to feign pure Christianity.

Had a lady last year ask me not so politely to tell her Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, and I went along with it just to keep her moving.

It sucks but most people seem to assume I'm Christian because of how nice I am (cuz obviously atheists aren't...y'know, nice people!), so I end up acting the part so as to maintain a good relationship.

When people say M. Christmas to me, I usually just respond with "Happy Holidays."

oops--just reread your post--lovely, she made u wish her one Facepalm some people Dodgy

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
19-12-2016, 11:26 AM
(19-12-2016 11:10 AM)Loom Wrote:  I do it at work. Normally it's due to customers, who insist on telling me about gawd's beautiful creation while I'm working in the garden center. I usually nod and agree everything is beautiful without mentioning god. Other times I have to feign pure Christianity.

Bolding mine. That is a very good example of xtian privilege!

I will never pretend to be xtian. If a person writes me off for atheism, I'm better off with them not around. Of course, since I'm retired, it isn't a job threat.
19-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Depends on the situation. I have zero compunction about lying about this if I decide to, but it's rare that I feel the need. Mostly it's when some super-Christian clown comes rushing up to me and I need to end the conversation as quickly as possible. The other day it was being asked to say grace at the table when my Mom's religious friend was visiting.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Yeah. Sometimes for practical reasons like getting free food or getting a visa application approved in a country that doesn't allow atheists, sometimes for my entertainment. And I must say, I play a pretty convincing Christian if I feel the need.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
19-12-2016, 11:35 AM
I don't pretend to BE a Christian and if directly asked I own up to my disbelief. But we have dinner once a week with my wife's 89-year-old grandmother who is a devout Catholic. She says grace over the meals she prepares for us in her own home. I remain quiet and bow my head to show respect to her. If I'm at a wedding, or a funeral, or big holiday party or something and there's a group prayer, I don't protest or object, I "allow" it to go on around me.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post