Do you pretend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 11:41 AM
RE: Do you pretend?
(19-12-2016 11:26 AM)Fireball Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 11:10 AM)Loom Wrote:  I do it at work. Normally it's due to customers, who insist on telling me about gawd's beautiful creation while I'm working in the garden center. I usually nod and agree everything is beautiful without mentioning god. Other times I have to feign pure Christianity.

Had a lady last year ask me not so politely to tell her Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays, and I went along with it just to keep her moving.

It sucks but most people seem to assume I'm Christian because of how nice I am (cuz obviously atheists aren't...y'know, nice people!), so I end up acting the part so as to maintain a good relationship.

Bolding mine. That is a very good example of xtian privilege!

I will never pretend to be xtian. If a person writes me off for atheism, I'm better off with them not around. Of course, since I'm retired, it isn't a job threat.

Yup! She even went on a tirade about the war against Christmas that I had to smile and nod through. Even my Christian coworkers thought she was a wacko.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
19-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Well, when I was a kid I used to pretend I was a dog named Arffy-Darffy and bark at people. Does that count?

No. I've never pretended to be a Christian. I never WAS a christian to begin with.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
19-12-2016, 11:47 AM
Do you pretend?
(19-12-2016 11:34 AM)yakherder Wrote:  And I must say, I play a pretty convincing Christian if I feel the need.

I could probably pass as a Pastor around the typical Christian. It's so easy.
19-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Nope. I live in a diverse area where there are quite a few different sects and religions and non-religious types, though, and people generally don't ask.

When I do church jobs or Christmas gigs, I sing or play what they tell me to. Nobody has ever asked me about my religious views in those settings. They don't care--I'm the hired help. I sit politely through the services without bowing my head or closing my eyes, keep my boredom to myself, and cash the checks.

I wouldn't pretend to be Christian for shits and giggles; I don't like the condescension and mean spiritedness of that kind of trolling (or any kind of trolling, actually).
19-12-2016, 12:20 PM
No, I don't pretend. I just stand quietly with eyes open if other people are praying, and don't recite anything. Haven't run into any problems, but Canada tends to be more laid-back about it than the States.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
19-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Sometimes I like to go onto Atheist forums and pretend like I don't believe in imaginary beings.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
19-12-2016, 01:15 PM
(19-12-2016 11:35 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I don't pretend to BE a Christian and if directly asked I own up to my disbelief. But we have dinner once a week with my wife's 89-year-old grandmother who is a devout Catholic. She says grace over the meals she prepares for us in her own home. I remain quiet and bow my head to show respect to her. If I'm at a wedding, or a funeral, or big holiday party or something and there's a group prayer, I don't protest or object, I "allow" it to go on around me.

A family friend's son got married in a Catholic church a few years ago. The place is really tarted up inside. I just sat there and mentally smh at the ornateness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:San_F...terior.JPG
19-12-2016, 01:19 PM
I'll put my head down and pretend to pray during family gatherings. I keep my eyes open though, heh. It's only out of respect for whoever's house I'm at.
19-12-2016, 01:31 PM
I was maybe 14 or 15 the last time I pretended to be Christian, I was in school, my teacher asked everyone who was Christian to raise their hands as an informal poll and everyone's hand shot up and I would've been the only one not raising my hand and I knew my teacher was going to ask me what religion I was or wasn't or whatever and being one of the only atheists in a small town in Oklahoma I just raised my hand to avoid the hassle.

Afterwards I felt dirty and stupid, I should've been true to myself. After that I never once again ever pretended to be Christian. I stuck to my guns and in school situations it even got me bullied and even pushed into my locker once and a book I was reading got torn in two and even though it didn't have anything to do with religion.

I mean seriously I was just sitting there reading and these two Christian girls come up asking if I'm a witch or a Satanist because they heard I don't believe in God, grabbed my book and tore it in half, fucking bitches. I mean sure, hate me but what did the book ever do to you?

Yes sometimes it may be more comfortable to pretend to be Christian but it's not worth it unless it's life or death and even then it's arguable. It's funny how many Christians in this country act like they are being attacked or they're a minority but it's not true, they don't know what it's really like to be ostracized for their beliefs or non-beliefs, they really couldn't fucking handle it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
19-12-2016, 01:32 PM
Nope. I was never religious. Have no nostalgia for previous beliefs, don't care about others' expectations.