Do you pretend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 01:35 PM
RE: Do you pretend?
I don't pretend but I will be respectful when in their 'house'.

If I am at someone's home or a function and there is a prayer then I will be silent and wait. I don't declare my atheism but I also don't deny it. It's really no one's business. I have no need to make any sort of public display like the religious do to 'prove' they are believers.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
19-12-2016, 01:38 PM
No, but then the occasion to pretend rarely presents itself.

I had to think of the last time this came up, and I believe it was at my aunt's funeral when they said the prayer. I just bowed my head, but didn't recite the prayer.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
19-12-2016, 01:40 PM
(19-12-2016 01:15 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 11:35 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I don't pretend to BE a Christian and if directly asked I own up to my disbelief. But we have dinner once a week with my wife's 89-year-old grandmother who is a devout Catholic. She says grace over the meals she prepares for us in her own home. I remain quiet and bow my head to show respect to her. If I'm at a wedding, or a funeral, or big holiday party or something and there's a group prayer, I don't protest or object, I "allow" it to go on around me.

A family friend's son got married in a Catholic church a few years ago. The place is really tarted up inside. I just sat there and mentally smh at the ornateness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:San_F...terior.JPG
I'm pretty sure if we chop up that high altar and sell off the components for cost of materials, I would solve my parish's budget issues for about a good decade or more. Tongue One guy I know, was possibly quoting Cracked, but made a snarky comment about how 90% of the time now, a Catholic church looks more like a DMV and it's the others who tend to go full moneybags everywhere. But sometimes, boy do we still go for onate, like in that case.

During grad school, at the parish I went to, it was very minimalist but had gorgeous woodworking in the form of the altar and chairs up around it, the lectern, etc. I asked about it once, because it seemed out of place compared to how spartan everything else was (aside from a giant sculpture on the wall) and it turned out that a local dentist did carpentry as a hobby on the side and made them for the parish. I feel like the high altar in that photo was not someone doing it as a hobby... Tongue

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2016, 01:49 PM
There is a difference between pretending to be and tolerance. I think generally I am tolerant of religion when I am in direct contact with it. When someone demands to say grace or to offer a prayer, I'll be quiet but I won't bow or close my eyes. This fall my employer had a community service day and I signed up to help out at a Salvation Army location. The local leader gathered the 50 so of us and asked for us to join him in prayer. Funny to look around and see others who aren't closing their eyes or bowing.

I won't say a prayer or grace. My wife knows that so I figure if during one of the outings with her family she'll run interference if someone gets the idea to nominate me. As for my family, I've made it known that religion is an unwelcome topic. They can have their views and I can have mine, never the two shall mix.

The story above about the woman demanding to be told Merry Xmas is a riot. How fricking self-important can you be?

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
19-12-2016, 01:50 PM
(19-12-2016 11:01 AM)KUSA Wrote:  My fellow Atheists, do you pretend to be a Christian at times? If so, what are the circumstances?

I pretend if I think it will hurt me professionally. I also pretend around Christians as a form of entertainment (being a POE). It's amazing how an Atheist can get the holy spirit fired up in a Christian. Funny shit.

Nope; outside of jokes with people who know better, I've never pretended to be anything more than I am. I'm an atheist, so that's what my sleeves say.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
19-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Well there was this one time when I needed an insurance claim to go through and poured all the christian saying I could into an email.

Damn insurance company held me up for 2 months investigating my claim. I finally won, but it took forever.

They found it suspicious that I got insurance on Jan 2nd and had an accident on Jan 3rd.

I said "Is there some kind of divine intervention that prevents accidents from happening for a certain duration after you get insurance ? Cause I prayed and prayed and god said NO, there is not."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
19-12-2016, 02:58 PM
(19-12-2016 11:01 AM)KUSA Wrote:  My fellow Atheists, do you pretend to be a Christian at times?

Hard to do while wearing T shirts like this.

[Image: 20161113_113201-1_zpse68ix7ph.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 11 users Like Banjo's post
19-12-2016, 03:21 PM
(19-12-2016 02:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 11:01 AM)KUSA Wrote:  My fellow Atheists, do you pretend to be a Christian at times?

Hard to do while wearing T shirts like this.

[Image: 20161113_113201-1_zpse68ix7ph.jpg]

That cock on the t-shirt is massive.
Dude you are #1

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
19-12-2016, 03:23 PM
I despise christians too much to pretend being one of them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-12-2016, 03:23 PM
If people say "Merry Christmas" to me, I just return a "Same to you" response—out of politeness. But I never initiate any Christmas greeting myself.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post