Do you pretend?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-12-2016, 04:00 PM
RE: Do you pretend?
I don't mind wishing people a happy whatever turns them on. It just doesn't bother me.

I won't pretend to pray though.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2016, 05:01 PM
The splash page at Atheist Forums says 'Heathen's Greetings!". I like that. Turns out my youngest son is also out as an atheist. I'll using that term around the house.
19-12-2016, 09:35 PM
No, religion isn't really mentioned much around me, and if it is I generally respond ambiguously. Recently I went to a dinner event where they had a prayer before the meal, and I just sat there and stared at the wall. My dad and I were the only ones who didn't join in. My mom and sister said they felt like they had to. No one ever has to pray, if you ask me! It's not as if they'll get mad at us.
19-12-2016, 09:49 PM
(19-12-2016 11:09 AM)jennybee Wrote:  No. There are situations where I just don't say anything, but I don't ever pretend to be a believer.

Same here. I would of course tell the truth if ever questioned, and if I were ever asked why I don't just bow my head to "keep from rocking the boat," I have a response already prepared: "Would you as a Christian pretend to be a Hindu or Muslim if you attended such a service?" The answer would of course be no. I certainly hope this would help them understand my position a little better.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
20-12-2016, 12:39 AM
No, I don't pretend to be but I don't always point out I'm not one too when entitled xtians go off. Just depends on the circumstances and my mood.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
20-12-2016, 06:42 AM
In my university days, there were so many things I could ignore about a womans behavior in order to get to know them much better.

If she smoked, had kids, was deep into religion, I could ignore it all. Hormones seem to trump all when you're young. But at no time did I ever take up smoking or pretend to be religious.

I did however go to a large convention of some 30,000+ cult like Jehovah Witnesses. This 3 hour long freakish sideshow was fascinating & hilarious. They had everyone stand up and sit down on command every 10 minutes. Conditioning at its roots.

I was grateful for that experience, because it really nailed the coffin down concerning just how batshit crazy these people were.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
20-12-2016, 07:07 AM
In Britain we are lucky no one gives a shit if you are religious or not and certainly unlike the USA no one is going to fire you or withhold business from you for not being a believer. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in an environment where you have to take those things into consideration.
20-12-2016, 07:53 AM
For me at least, I have come to view my interactions with practitioners of religion as an opportunity to enhance my intercultural competence: I will give it my best shot to respect their customs/ways and to learn from them. If I find that the individuals I'm talking to are open-minded/inquisitive and I'm given an opening to share my different way of interpreting reality, then IMO, it is helpful to follow this up with some sort of shared commonality, which shows that it is possible to think differently and still value and/or appreciate the same things.

"I'm fearful when I see people substituting fear for reason." Klaatu, from The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
20-12-2016, 08:00 AM
(19-12-2016 09:49 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(19-12-2016 11:09 AM)jennybee Wrote:  No. There are situations where I just don't say anything, but I don't ever pretend to be a believer.

Same here. I would of course tell the truth if ever questioned, and if I were ever asked why I don't just bow my head to "keep from rocking the boat," I have a response already prepared: "Would you as a Christian pretend to be a Hindu or Muslim if you attended such a service?" The answer would of course be no. I certainly hope this would help them understand my position a little better.

Same for me, if asked I would definitely tell them I'm an atheist. Although, lately I have been saying I'm spiritual but not religious, which is the truth as well. I'm a yoga practitioner and have incorporated many of the yogic principles into my life. Of course, I don't believe in any of the Hindu deities, but I like their stories Wink
20-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Jassus all you guys are so good about never telling a lie Tongue You should try being crooked a bit. Straight arrow life so boring.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.