Do you sin less as an athiest?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
18-01-2014, 03:06 AM
Do you sin less as an athiest?
I'm curious if anyone else has found that they are a much better person, using the christian standard, now that they are an athiest?
I have found myself being more cognizant of how I treat others, and my overall morality in general. As a Christian I believed in eternal salvation or "once saved always saved". Looking back that seems to be a very dangerous belief. All the fallen ministers we see in the news crying over what ever their poison was. Has anyone ever heard them say "Well, I'm fucked now. Its hell for me"?
I heard Hitch say more than once we have one life to live and we should make the most of it. The only way we can live after death is to leave a legacy. Be a good parent, citizen, brother, sister, husband or wife. We can live on by leaving a positive example for others.
Since I live in the buckle of the bible belt I only know a few open atheist, and I can honestly say they are some of the most generous, morally upright, men and women of strong character that I have ever met.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bslats's post
18-01-2014, 03:33 AM
RE: Do you sin less as an athiest?
I'm just happier with who I am. No need to maintain cognitive dissonance. Dunno if I'm a better person, I wasn't that into rapine and pillage even when I was a Christian.

On a side note I think fuckle is a nice word. Like fucking and cuddling at the same time...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
18-01-2014, 03:45 AM
Christian standard? Hell no. I work on sunday all the time, I eat pork and seafood, I don't follow the part of the 10 commandments where I'm supposed to suck yahweh's titties because he's insecure and worst of all I sometimes wear mixed fabrics. I'm super fucked.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
18-01-2014, 04:03 AM
(18-01-2014 03:45 AM)Logisch Wrote:  Christian standard? Hell no. I work on sunday all the time, I eat pork and seafood, I don't follow the part of the 10 commandments where I'm supposed to suck yahweh's titties because he's insecure and worst of all I sometimes wear mixed fabrics. I'm super fucked.

That sounds more like the Jewish standard but I see your point. My original question should have said hypocritical baptist standard. I was thinking more along the lines of lying, cheating and charity.
18-01-2014, 04:51 AM
I think I am a better person as I no longer think its ok to do and put up with things 'because everyone else does it' aka the christian way.

My family feels awkward around me now because i will rip into them if they are racist or bigoted( in a mean way) around the grand kids.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
18-01-2014, 04:59 AM
As sin is essentially a transgression against religious law, theists would consider that we are all committing a whopper . . . apostasy. As atheists lack belief in god/s, then the laws purportedly handed down by these non-existent tyrants are moot. Ergo, atheists are without sin. Angel

Do I break the law? No. Am I more inclined to break the law because I don't fear eternal damnation? No.

I don't need religion or god to positively contribute to society and strive to ensure that I do nothing that will prevent others from enjoying their life.
[+] 5 users Like TristramLennard's post
18-01-2014, 05:03 AM
Considering I was never a theist, I'm gonna say yes.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
18-01-2014, 05:07 AM
(18-01-2014 04:59 AM)TristramLennard Wrote:  As sin is essentially a transgression against religious law,

That is the dictionary definition, but I think most people equate a sin as a bad/immoral act.

It feeds into a theist justification of evil atheism if we tell them that sin is irrelevant to us.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
18-01-2014, 05:09 AM
Hell, no! Imma

one eyed
one horned
flying purple people eater

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-01-2014, 05:36 AM
(18-01-2014 05:07 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 04:59 AM)TristramLennard Wrote:  As sin is essentially a transgression against religious law,

That is the dictionary definition, but I think most people equate a sin as a bad/immoral act.
Because a majority of people do so, doesn't mean they're correct --- or that I, or anybody else should tolerate or comply with that interpretation.

(18-01-2014 05:07 AM)sporehux Wrote:  It feeds into a theist justification of evil atheism if we tell them that sin is irrelevant to us.
That depends upon how the position is presented to them. It also makes a great segue into a discussion on the number of commandments that they don't comply with on a daily basis ... the other 600 or so ....
[+] 1 user Likes TristramLennard's post