Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
18-01-2014, 05:44 AM
RE: Do you sin less as an athiest?
(18-01-2014 05:09 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  flying purple people eater

I guess you go hungry quite a lot...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2014, 05:56 AM
(18-01-2014 05:44 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(18-01-2014 05:09 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  flying purple people eater

I guess you go hungry quite a lot...

I'm the purple one, silly. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-01-2014, 06:05 AM
Based on the Christian standard? No; certainly not. I have more sex, I drink, I swear, I listen to "devil music", I watch shows/films that deal with spiritistic/Satanic themes, I alter my body in various ways which are considered unnatural, I have lustful thoughts, I lie (when it is necessary), I do pretty much all of the things normal people do/want to do.

The difference, now, is that I do them freely without fear of eternal reproach. I can now masturbate without feeling the eyes of thousands of angels glaring down at me. I can swear without feeling I've "abused my gift of speech" in some way. I can fuck a chick without feeling that I've committed the terrible sin of fornication.

Ultimately, while I am a much worse person by Christian standards, I am a much better person for myself, because I can now spread my wings and be a human being. I aim not to hurt people. I feel badly when I do. That is my moral code. My own, personal version of "sin". Hurting others. But that is not a sin against some omnipresent deity; it is a sin against myself and against them. And so long as I'm not hurting others, I have not "sinned", and thus, have committed no wrong.

The Christian god would hate me. But I and others love me. And in the end, "I and others" are all there really is.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
18-01-2014, 06:21 AM
Since I realized there was no Sky Daddy I now eat babies left and right, yum!

I'm always amazed and disgusted by anyone who asks this question. It just shows what a thin veneer of self restraint they possess. These people scare the beejeezus out of me!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
18-01-2014, 07:05 AM
"Sin" is such an idiotic word and has absolutly no meaning in a legal code unless you live in Saudi Arabia or Iran.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
18-01-2014, 07:12 AM
It still seems to me that it means more to be a good person because you know it's the right thing to do and not to please or keep from angering some god.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
18-01-2014, 07:16 AM
(18-01-2014 07:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  It still seems to me that it means more to be a good person because you know it's the right thing to do and not to please or keep from angering some god.

That was the direction I was headed in. Thanks.
18-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Sin? What's that? Huh

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
18-01-2014, 07:22 AM
(18-01-2014 06:05 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Based on the Christian standard? No; certainly not. I have more sex, I drink, I swear, I listen to "devil music", I watch shows/films that deal with spiritistic/Satanic themes, I alter my body in various ways which are considered unnatural, I have lustful thoughts, I lie (when it is necessary), I do pretty much all of the things normal people do/want to do.

The difference, now, is that I do them freely without fear of eternal reproach. I can now masturbate without feeling the eyes of thousands of angels glaring down at me. I can swear without feeling I've "abused my gift of speech" in some way. I can fuck a chick without feeling that I've committed the terrible sin of fornication.

Ultimately, while I am a much worse person by Christian standards, I am a much better person for myself, because I can now spread my wings and be a human being. I aim not to hurt people. I feel badly when I do. That is my moral code. My own, personal version of "sin". Hurting others. But that is not a sin against some omnipresent deity; it is a sin against myself and against them. And so long as I'm not hurting others, I have not "sinned", and thus, have committed no wrong.

The Christian god would hate me. But I and others love me. And in the end, "I and others" are all there really is.
I do those things too. I also did those things as a christian much like most of the Christians I knew. Then I thought since I was saved I would still go to heaven. Now I'm in a monogynous relationship with my girlfriend as oppose to cheating on my wife when I was a christian. Now I look to help the indigent in my community as oppose to praying that god will help them. Do you see what I mean?
18-01-2014, 07:24 AM
"Sin" is by it`s very definition the violation of religious law.

Meaning that atheists dont need to give a rats ass about these laws.

Other than that, every religious person in the world sins as they do not abide to the laws of other religions.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]