Do you sin less as an athiest?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
18-01-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: Do you sin less as an athiest?
I'm freer to act morally as an atheist. I don't have to "hate the sin and love the sinner". I can actually love a person without hating what they might do in their free time. I'm freer to understand the fundamental physics of the universe without wondering where god fits into all of that. I'm freer to understand the history of our planet and to take note of where its future is heading without wondering how Biblical history is supposed to reconcile with actual history and without wondering if God will step in and save us from our fate. I'm more moral. I'm a better person than I was. I'm a better citizen than I was. I appreciate what others have done for me more and what my society has done for me more. I'm planting better seeds for tomorrow. I'm better not in big ways, but in just a few specific small yet important ways.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
19-01-2014, 11:06 AM
For me, I found that when I started questioning the motive, reasons and rationality behind things religious, it left me open to be less - not more - critical of others.

For example, things that I considered offensive - albeit innocuous - like putting your elbows on the table, let me to question why I found it offensive. After I looked at where the custom came from: 1) people were not that hygienic in the 18th and 19th century when table manners were important, so their elbows were dirty; 2) people had a lot larger families. Putting your elbows on the table took up more room than you needed.

Now that these rationales are pretty much moot, I could finally stop wasting my time getting offended at something just because I was told I should be offended by it. That make sense?

I was finally free to think for myself. And that made me a hell of a lot nicer person. Just for the sake of it.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
19-01-2014, 12:24 PM
I do not believe in the concept of sin.

I am just as moral as an atheist as I was as a Christian. The only difference is that a belief in a deity is no longer required for me to understand that I can be a good person without that belief system.
19-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I've never "sinned" for sin isnt real.

I am a good person who makes silly or not good decisions sometimes.
19-01-2014, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2014 09:05 AM by EvolutionKills.)
I'm sure I'd sin more than if I was a Christian, seeing as how it would really cramp my masturbation habit. But I'd also be more inclined to believe unfounded shit on bad evidence; then I'd start down the dark path of intercessory prayer, creationism, and voting for Republicans...

Fortunately sin is a bullshit human concept made to codify and enforce cultural and religious taboos, so fuck that noise.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
22-01-2014, 07:13 AM
(19-01-2014 10:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm sure I sin more than if I was a Christian, seeing as how it would really cramp my masturbation habit. But I'd also be more inclined to believe unfounded shit on bad evidence; then I'd start down the dark path of intercessory prayer, creationism, and voting for Republicans...

Fortunately sin is a bullshit human concept made to codify and enforce cultural and religious taboos, so fuck that noise.
My question was meant to prove the point that athiest tend to be better people, ethically speaking, than Christians. I know that "sin" is a Christian concept.
[+] 1 user Likes bslats's post
22-01-2014, 08:01 AM
I am without sin. I was "immaculately conceived", and remain so.
I'm also not proud, (as you can tell). Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
22-01-2014, 09:13 AM
(22-01-2014 08:01 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I am without sin. I was "immaculately conceived", and remain so.
I'm also not proud, (as you can tell). Weeping

It's wonderful to see someone who takes great pride in his humility. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-01-2014, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2014 04:23 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(22-01-2014 07:13 AM)bslats Wrote:  
(19-01-2014 10:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm sure I sin more than if I was a Christian, seeing as how it would really cramp my masturbation habit. But I'd also be more inclined to believe unfounded shit on bad evidence; then I'd start down the dark path of intercessory prayer, creationism, and voting for Republicans...

My question was meant to prove the point that athiest tend to be better people, ethically speaking, than Christians. I know that "sin" is a Christian concept.

Therein I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think the deciding factor would be related to being a good critical thinker and demanding evidence for your beliefs. Now I think that anyone who is a good critical thinker would reject the concept of sin for those reasons, but not every atheist is an atheist for those reasons. There are plenty of people out there who are not Christians or believe in sin, but instead subscribe to whole other worlds full of unsubstantiated woo-woo; such as the Heaven's Gate cult.

Or in other words, you're making a correlation fallacy; correlation does not necessarily infer causation. They may be related, but no causal.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
22-01-2014, 10:20 AM
I sin just as much as an atheist as I did as a Christian, which is to say, I don't sin.

Sin is a crime against God. God doesn't exist. Therefore, sin doesn't exist.

I commit no more acts of dishonesty as an atheist than I did as a Christian. I'm more accepting of homosexuality (although I have not experimented and don't have any desire to). Christians would consider my more accepting attitude to be sinful (leading others away from the truth of God's Word). They are wrong. I'm less uptight about premarital sex (not that being a Christian stopped me much). I do not engage in extramarital sex.

But I haven't committed a single "sin" since leaving Christianity, because sin does not exist.