Do you speak, what any religion is a lie?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
06-12-2016, 07:30 PM
RE: Do you speak, what any religion is a lie?
(applauds wildly at quote from "When the Music's Over") The Doors FTW!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post
06-12-2016, 08:05 PM
I'm sorry... but every time I see this thread pop on the list, I ask myself what in the world the first half of the title sentence has to do with the second half?

"Do you speak?" Yes, I do.

"What any religion is a lie?" Poor grammar being excused here, what does this have to do with my ability to speak?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
06-12-2016, 08:11 PM
(06-12-2016 08:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm sorry... but every time I see this thread pop on the list, I ask myself what in the world the first half of the title sentence has to do with the second half?

"What any religion is a lie?" Poor grammar being excused here, what does this have to do with my ability to speak?

Yeah. I'm with you. I can't even begin to understand what the thread is about.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
06-12-2016, 10:33 PM
I can't imagine trying to engage in debate with people when I can't even speak their language. Seems rather pointless.
06-12-2016, 10:39 PM
(06-12-2016 10:52 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Soon comes the final day.
The atheists sees the hell of fire,
And he prays the Lord
Forgive his sin.
But its too late,
The gates are closed,
And fire hurts, and satan mocks.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pid1099484

Christians have been saying that the "final day" is coming soon for at least 19 centuries.

Either the word "soon" doesn't actually mean anything, or they've been wrong for at least 18 of those centuries.

If they ever turn out to be right, for once.... well, I'd compare it to a broken clock being right once per day, but once per day would be almost 7 orders of magnitude of improvement over their current average. (And that number keeps getting worse and worse the longer they keep being wrong.)

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
06-12-2016, 10:44 PM
(06-12-2016 08:05 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I'm sorry... but every time I see this thread pop on the list, I ask myself what in the world the first half of the title sentence has to do with the second half?

I think it's supposed to translate as "Do you SAY THAT EVERY religion is a lie?"

But I'm not sure. Because Borg's translation software is so bad, it's almost gibberish.

Also, someone corrected him on the what/that thing, and he responded by insisting that the what/that distinction was leading to the rise of the LGBT community and thus hurricanes. That has me something like 80% certain that he's a Poe, but really, who know how his refractory translator rendered that from English.

.... yes, that's a pun on "render".

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
06-12-2016, 10:56 PM
(06-12-2016 10:44 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  

I think it's supposed to translate as "Do you SAY THAT EVERY religion is a lie?"

But I'm not sure. Because Borg's translation software is so bad, it's almost gibberish.

Also, someone corrected him on the what/that thing, and he responded by insisting that the what/that distinction was leading to the rise of the LGBT community and thus hurricanes. That has me something like 80% certain that he's a Poe, but really, who know how his refractory translator rendered that from English.

.... yes, that's a pun on "render".

Oh shit, of course! Translation software! That didn't even occur to me. You're spot on with that, and the nutty things he says makes so much more sense now.
06-12-2016, 11:19 PM
(06-12-2016 10:56 PM)Aliza Wrote:  the nutty things he says makes so much more sense now.

Hey now, let's not get carried away here.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
06-12-2016, 11:21 PM
(06-12-2016 10:56 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Oh shit, of course! Translation software! That didn't even occur to me. You're spot on with that, and the nutty things he says makes so much more sense now.

I make occasional use of Google Translate, but I came up with a simple method to help preserve the meaning of what I'm translating:
  1. Write a simple sentence, avoiding idioms as much as possible.
  2. Translate into the destination language.
  3. Take the translation, paste it back into the "source" box and translate it back to English.
  4. If it comes out as gibberish, restructure the original sentence and try again.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
06-12-2016, 11:23 PM
(06-12-2016 11:21 PM)Astreja Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 10:56 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Oh shit, of course! Translation software! That didn't even occur to me. You're spot on with that, and the nutty things he says makes so much more sense now.

I make occasional use of Google Translate, but I came up with a simple method to help preserve the meaning of what I'm translating:
  1. Write a simple sentence, avoiding idioms as much as possible.
  2. Translate into the destination language.
  3. Take the translation, paste it back into the "source" box and translate it back to English.
  4. If it comes out as gibberish, restructure the original sentence and try again.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Borg's not bothering with any of that. You can make a pretty sensible translation out of Google Translate if you spend time closely examining each word for a minute or two. Borg.... probably doesn't even give the result a second glance before he copy-pastes.