Do you speak, what any religion is a lie?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
09-12-2016, 07:56 AM
RE: Do you speak, what any religion is a lie?
(09-12-2016 04:09 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Luckily, we were never the scientists. I would not wonder, if scientists are reptilians (reptiloids?) or something.

To the best of My knowledge and belief I am Homo sapiens sapiens at the moment, but I officially go on record as saying that I would much rather be a reptilian than be you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2016, 09:35 AM
(09-12-2016 07:33 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ......... we start looking for real explanations, .......

Let us start then. You have the working brain. I have the working brain.
All materials are in the web. So, let us start. 1) how Cosmological Singularity can be avoided?
Find all posts by this user
09-12-2016, 09:51 AM
(09-12-2016 09:35 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 07:33 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ......... we start looking for real explanations, .......

All materials are in the web. So, let us start. 1) how Cosmological Singularity can be avoided?

Ω < 1.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-12-2016, 10:08 AM
(09-12-2016 09:51 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ω < 1.

*knowing smile from science geekgrrl who grew up in household with an electronics engineer*

As for theBorg's question about how a Cosmological Singularity can be avoided, I prefer to gently apply the brakes and steer around it, shoulder-checking for speeding quarks in the passing lane.
[+] 2 users Like Astreja's post
09-12-2016, 10:13 AM
(09-12-2016 10:08 AM)Astreja Wrote:  As for theBorg's question about how a Cosmological Singularity can be avoided, I prefer to gently apply the brakes and steer around it, shoulder-checking for speeding quarks in the passing lane.

Ah the old Kobayashi Maru maneuver.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-12-2016, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2016 12:59 PM by Reltzik.)
(09-12-2016 09:35 AM)theBorg Wrote:  

Well that's a non-sequitur.

If by Cosmological Singularity you mean the Big Bang, we can avoid it by not being there when it happens.

OH LOOK, WE'RE NOT.

But that's completely off-topic from what I was talking about.

You said that God of the Gaps isn't a problem.... here, exact quote.

(08-12-2016 09:51 PM)theBorg Wrote:  What are the problems with the God of the Gaps? No problems.

Perhaps your translation software is leading you astray... again... so I'll clarify. In English, the phrase "God of the Gaps" does not refer to any particular religion's god. Rather, "God of the Gaps" refers to a logical fallacy in which some currently unexplained phenomenon -- the "gap" in our understanding -- is attributed to a god as the default explanation.

For example, cancer was once thought by many to be an affliction placed upon people by God as punishment for some sin or another. Then some people stopped believing that God was the default explanation and looked for real explanations. They did science. The result has been treatments, preventative measures, and in some cases cures. Lives have been saved by this. Not only was setting aside God of the Gaps necessary to save those lives, but the people who didn't set aside God of the Gaps fought against this life-saving research.

Same with AIDS. Christians in America declared AIDS to be God's righteous revenge against the gay community. They opposed funds for research, care for the sick, preventative measures, and education. When scientists discovered that the explanation was HIV, not God, new treatments became possible, prevention became possible, and the disease became manageable.

Over and over again, getting rid of the God of the Gaps assumption has been the key to discoveries that save human lives, reduce human suffering, and generally make the world happier and more prosperous.

Get this through your head. God of the Gaps... meaning, assuming "God" as the explanation for any phenomenon you don't have an explanation for... gets in the way of real science. That's true whether you're the scientist, or the one getting in the way of the scientists. Either way, the unit of measurement for the result of God of the Gaps is corpses.

EDIT: Here, have a link to Wikipedia on God of the Gaps. It looks like there's a translation available in Russian, or Ukranian, or maybe whatever your native language is if it's not one of those.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
09-12-2016, 10:37 AM
In the final analysis:

Religion causes more problems than it solves.

Science solves more problems than it causes.

Science > Religion.
[+] 4 users Like Astreja's post
09-12-2016, 10:42 AM
(08-12-2016 09:51 PM)theBorg Wrote:  What are the problems with the God of the Gaps? No problems. So, be the theist.

In case Reltzik's explanation goes over your head (again), here's something a little more simple.

According to god of the gaps thinking:
The Abrahamic god created the universe
and
Thor created the universe
and
Re created the universe
and
The flying spaghetti monster created the universe
and...

...because you don't get to arbritrarily insert a specific god just because you claim a god fills the gaps best.

So that, of course, means you need evidence for which god (if any).

And that means, throw out all god assumptions, and start over...

The gaps have no 100% known explanation. Now go from there.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
09-12-2016, 10:45 AM
(09-12-2016 10:32 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  If by Cosmological Singularity you mean the Big Bang, we can avoid it by not being there when it happens.

I think he was talking about the Big Crunch but you can never be sure what he's talking about. Either way we won't be there.

#sigh
10-12-2016, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 04:50 AM by theBorg.)
(09-12-2016 10:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-12-2016 10:32 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  If by Cosmological Singularity you mean the Big Bang, we can avoid it by not being there when it happens.

I think he was talking about the Big Crunch but you can never be sure what he's talking about. Either way we won't be there.

Don't be selfish! The others and Nature could be there! You are made of nature. The Nature can not survive a Cosmic Singularity (or any singularity whats or ever). How the Cosmic Singularity can be avoided?