Do you stereotype based on religious beliefs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2012, 10:55 PM
RE: Do you stereotype based on religious beliefs?
(11-04-2012 04:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I know people generally believe that atheists are smarter than theists (Christians particularly). This is a common stereotype just like Republicans are Christians and love guns.

So, here are my questions:

1) When someone reveals that they are a Christian (on the Internet or IRL), do you automatically feel intellectually superior?

If yes then -

2) When a Christian shows that they are intellectually competent, do you still feel superior despite the fact that you may not be; however, subjectively you feel so because the idea of Christianity to you is so ridiculous that it automatically nullifies any intelligence?
1. I try not to. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It generally doesn't begin with the fact that they are religious or hold a specific belief. Generally the assumptions begin with their argument. My interactions thanks to places like TTA and other atheist forums have shown me there are some vastly polite and intelligent religious people. For instance.. the "you can't explain it therefore" and arguments full of logical fallacy make me shake my head and I feel happy that I at least have researched the subject rather than just going off of any reason to excuse it.

2. Depends. I think this is dependent on the actual argument or discussion taking place. I think there are times when people do have a well thought out argument, there are times when I am not familiar with the argument and will happily go and research it. But it doesn't make me feel stupid or superior to the said individual, it simply gives me a reason to go learn and search out more things so I can see both sides. I don't think that it automatically nullifies intelligence. I think that we have only skimmed the surface of science and the universe, so I think we would be doing all of ourselves a disservice to assume we know it all.

An ego is a fragile thing. It can make or break the difference between an open mind and a mind that has shut itself down from thinking it's too smart.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Creationists, yeah; Christians not so much. There's two kinds of assholes in the world. My kind, without malice; the other kind, that's full of shit. Christians that get all "Christian" about it tend towards the latter. As for intellectual superiority, what, I'm gonna lie about it? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
17-04-2012, 03:45 PM
I hate to say it, but I do find myself doing it sometimes. I never confront them about their beliefs though; it's their right to believe whatever they want. And while I might see them as less competent at first, I never refuse themselves the chance to prove themselves as intelligent. I find that a lot of time, they don't actually know about what they're subscribing to anyway, and when I tell them some of the things that put me off from Christianity, they think it's kind of crazy as well. I enjoy the sense of harmonious coexistence that I can, at times, experience between a theist and myself.
17-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I know way too many intelligent religous people to ever make that jump. Which is what is so frustrating to me. They use their intellect in every part of their lives except for their religous beliefs. With those they take myths and superstitions as fact.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
[+] 1 user Likes free2011's post
17-04-2012, 04:57 PM
(11-04-2012 04:01 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  1) When someone reveals that they are a Christian (on the Internet or IRL), do you automatically feel intellectually superior?
I don't feel superior to anyone as long as they don't give me a very good reason to. Being religios, as is, does not qualify. Being religios and basing important things that you say and decide on, that will make me feel more rational and logic but still not superior.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2012, 04:58 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2012 05:00 PM by Erxomai.)
(11-04-2012 04:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's not about intelligence, per se. It is about clarity vs. delusion; I pity the deluded.

^^^This.
(11-04-2012 09:20 PM)Godless Wrote:  Seeing as how I used to be a literal creationist it's more then a little hard for me to feel superior so much as just feeling a little empathetic and not liking myself for it.

^^^This too.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
17-04-2012, 07:35 PM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2012 08:45 PM by Thomas.)
I don't feel intellectually superior. However, I do feel that I use a superior process for understanding the world.
My superoir position is in the fact that I am willing to consider that everything that I believe could be wrong.
The theist's inferior position is in the fact that he is not willling to consider that his beliefs could be wrong.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
17-04-2012, 07:38 PM
(17-04-2012 07:35 PM)Thomas Wrote:  I don't feel intellectually superior. However, I do feel that I use a superior process for understanding the world.
My superoir position is in the fact that I am willing to consider that everything that I believe could be wrong.
The theist's inferior positition is in the fact that he is not willling to consier that his beliefs could be wrong.
Good point. There is a part of me that wishes for all that Pie in the Sky, By and By crap. If it could be proven to me, I'd gladly go back. The same cannot be said for the dyed in the wool True Believer. Therefore, my willingness to be corrected when I am wrong does give me the edge.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post