Do you still go to church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2015, 07:46 AM
RE: Do you still go to church?
I was raised catholic and had to attend until confirmation after which I was told it would be up to me. I only remember being in an actual church thrice since then... the first was a funeral, the second a wedding, and the third was fairly recently for a debate between the local evangelical and Richard Carrier.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
13-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Do you still go to church?
(13-12-2015 07:24 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It's been 12 years. I went inside for my mom's funeral......

Other than that -- it's been 30 some years since I attended a service..

I'm sorry about your loss. I too know what it's like to lose a mother.
13-12-2015, 12:32 PM
I never went regularly. I did go a few times as a child with friends when I spent the night on Sat night and we would get up and go to church the next day. Then I learned to ask to go home before the trip to church.

My aunt took me a few time to the UU church but they didn't like me questioning the bible stories they taught in Sunday school so they asked her not to bring me back until I could behave. Laugh out load Seriously, that's true. She was agnostic anyway so we didn't go back.

I've been to a couple of weddings (never been to a funeral at a church) but other than that I'd say I've been to church maybe a dozen times in my life. I have thought about going to the UU church to have access to some sense of community but though the UU churches here in Oklahoma are very progressive and not at all like "god church" I just haven't worked up the nerve to go. Probably won't either.

I have no need for anything religious but I miss the community of belonging to an atheist group. Our groups here are little more than pub crawls and fight clubs. It got old fast. I want something more community service orientated so we can improve the image of atheism in our community.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
13-12-2015, 07:24 PM
The last time I was in a church my sisters and I were I think 8,9 & 10 yrs. old. We got tired of the next door neighbor telling us we were going to burn in hell because we didn't go to her church (religion wasn't a topic of conversation in our house). We decided to go to her church to see what it was all about. Turns out it was a pentecostal church and when people fell to the floor and started writhing around yelling, "He's in me! He's in me!", my older sister started cracking up, my younger sister started crying and I just sat there dumbfounded. Later that day, back home, the neighbor and her teen-aged daughter were in the daughter's bedroom across the driveway from us having a conversation about who at the present time was being screwed by the pastor in the pews after hours. Being the brats that we were, we spent a few days running around outside where they could see and hear us yelling, "He's in me! He's in me!" Fun times.
[+] 3 users Like Lulu344's post
13-12-2015, 09:09 PM
I still went up until just a few months ago. Back during this past Summer my brother (who I'm living with) confronted me about my "spiritual life" and I admitted to being an atheist. Since my parents already knew about my beliefs to an extent (I'm not sure they know I'm a total non-believer now) I lost almost all motivation to go at that point. I tried to keep going, partly to appease my family and partly to avoid alerting the few people that still talked to me at church and causing them to start reaching out, but that was not enough to get me out of bed on Sunday mornings and eventually I realized months had passed and I hadn't gone. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to go to the Christmas service coming up or not.

If I'm not busy, I still tune in to the stream that my church puts out for every service, just to see what the pastor is preaching about and if it's anything interesting or crazy.
[+] 1 user Likes Dex's post
13-12-2015, 09:56 PM
Fuck no. I've got things to do.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
13-12-2015, 11:16 PM
I'm going to go through Christmas. I mostly cringe through the service and point out to my brother all the inconvenient facts they neglect to mention. It was seriously depressing to see all my younger cousins being indoctrinated at thangsgiving though. That was tough.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
14-12-2015, 10:36 AM
No.

Hell, no.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
14-12-2015, 12:14 PM
In my case, I don't think you realize what you are asking. As always, I only have the Mormon angle on things. Their meetings aren't like any other kind of church I have ever seen or heard of.

They are three hours long and scream "cult" louder than you can imagine. I could go back, if I was interested in an absolute assault on my mind from every angle of stupid possible. Talk about needing a god damn trigger warning.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
14-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Never.