Do you still struggle sometimes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Re: Do you still struggle sometimes?
I never really "left" any kind of faith so I never had that experience.
When I was quite a bit younger I used to wonder what was wrong with me. Why I couldn't believe in something.....anything. but I've long since left those doubts behind me.

The Out Crowd.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: Do you still struggle sometimes?
I never went through much indoctrination, was never really religious, so I cannot share your fears and feelings, OP.

However, I think I can understand them.

When a person goes through indoctrination (which they can do at any time or age), the indoctrinators typically attempt to implant key features in your mind as a form of safeguard to prevent you from turning, you can hardly argue with your own mind and think yourself sane, right?

Eventually those fears and feelings will die out, so long as you pay them no heed, though since you turned, I doubt any level of indoctrination attempts short of Scientology level techniques, should have an effect on your mind, it knows and will be more resistant now than ever.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
18-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Hi Marmalade and welcome to the forum.

It took years for me to completely let go of some things - especially the fear of hell. Time will eventually remove those lingering doubts. In the meantime, read as much as you can about atheism and it will help you to become more and more comfortable with it. That might help expedite the matter for you.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
18-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Here's a mental exercise. Lay out all the major religions on a table. Look at all the different belief systems, rewards, punishments, etc.

Are you afraid of not reaching nirvana?
Are you afraid of Jahannam (Islam's hell)?
Are you hoping to understand dharma?

Probably not. You live your life completely oblivious to all these other belief systems that people consider truth. Why not add yours to the pile?

Letting go of religion doesn't mean you have to live a meaningless life (although hardcore theists will insist otherwise... but then, they have to or their belief system becomes meaningless itself). It means you're tossing out the bad explanation for everything, and seeking a better one.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
18-01-2013, 10:40 PM
I think what people miss is oftentimes the fellowship and social contacts that church/temple/whatever gave them. Also the fact that atheism is so looked down on especially in the US is hard for some folks to deal with. Magical thinking can be powerful because we are programmed to do some, and for some people it's scary to feel like we are alone or there's no celestial fallback and that we have to solve our own problems.

But in the end if you don't believe, you just don't believe. I struggled for a time, but then once I got it through my head that belief is not simply an act of will, that ends any struggle. My mind does not, cannot, believe in god or religion. It's just not an option for me. If you still struggle, read some Christian apologists and you will see what pathetic mental gymnastics they resort to. Once I read a few of those, I could not stomach it anymore.

So realize that you don't believe, that it's ok that you don't, that there is nothing wrong with you, and that questioning instead of blind obedience is the sign that you're thinking, which as adults we are supposed to do (so I hear!). Realize those things and you'll be just fine.

Godless in the Magnolia State
19-01-2013, 12:10 AM
I grapple with it -- received another long letter from a well - meaning family member that's had me wondering...then I was reminded of a few things here -- that dude lion irc's arrogance -- the way he deflects the questions he hasn't answers to and mocks -- and it reminded me why I became atheist to begin with. It wasn't so much about the bible but the theists who push their bibical agenda and make up "reasons" to believe. My whole thing is -- if the bibical record were so perfect and complete we wouldn't need hundreds of different versions of the bible and thousands of people to explain what it all means -- and most claim the other guy has it wrong.....

Then I had a friend of mine tell me that I helped them become atheist....

But that's another kettle of fish...

The sun rises in the West and the bird shits on the coffeetable.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-01-2013, 02:21 AM
(18-01-2013 07:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  Nope. Drinking Beverage
I was reading through all the heart-felt comments and came across Chas; saying exactly what I was thinking once again.

"HAH! Shit...fuckin' Chas."

My girl wondered what I was laughing at and who the hell Chas is. Laugh out load

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2013, 03:52 AM

(18-01-2013 06:11 AM)Marmalade Wrote:  I feel stupid for these rare sojourns into that old religious fall-back.

Has anyone else struggled with these kinds of thoughts after walking away from the faith? It's been about 6 years since I set foot in a church...and I was only a Christian for 5 years, and yet it still has this grip of guilt and fear on me that I can't shake 100%. Does it ever really go away?

Sorry my post is so long. It's one of those nights of ruthless introspection. LOL!

I was listening to a preacher on the way into work on the radio. He was saying that it was a horrible sin to say that God creates evil. His caller pointed out that it says in the Bible that God creates evil. The preacher tried to explain it away, but sounded very lame. He said God only allowed evil, but didn't create it. The caller said, but God controls everything, nothing happens outside the will of God. The preacher eventually terminated the call and went to a commercial. It was pathetic--because the caller was absolutely right.

Anyone with half a brain must reject traditional Catholic and Protestant Christianity. It simply does not work.

I suggest you start a prayer journal (because you obviously still believe in God). Talk to your Father--conversationally--and at the end of each entry sign it, "Your Daughter, so and so." That'll get your faith back. Then come be a Veridican and help us kick some atheist butt. Yes

Remember this, to really be an atheist, you have to be as close-minded, as ignorant, as magical-thinking as any Christian ever was. Black hole atheism cannot be the end of this for you. It just can't be. No
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2013, 03:54 AM
Magical thinking?

Says the one who believes in souls and a magical sky daddy and a hell which can never harm anybody.

Dodgy

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
19-01-2013, 03:56 AM
To the hateful bigot above FT's post.

Can you keep your venom for the ones that have actually had enough time to settle in and discover what a miserable, poisonous little man you are?

Though you did prove our points with your loathsome bilge.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post