Do you still struggle sometimes?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2013, 04:08 AM
RE: Do you still struggle sometimes?
(19-01-2013 03:52 AM)Egor Wrote:  Remember this, to really be an atheist, you have to be as close-minded, as ignorant, as magical-thinking as any Christian ever was. Black hole atheism cannot be the end of this for you. It just can't be. No
Except that each and everyone of us was born as an atheist.

It wasn't until much later in your life that you deluded yourself into believing that the religion you yourself created is the only true one. Drinking Beverage

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
19-01-2013, 04:28 AM

(19-01-2013 03:54 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Magical thinking?

Says the one who believes in souls and a magical sky daddy and a hell which can never harm anybody.

Dodgy

It's true that God is my only Father, but why do you always think He lives in the sky? Huh
Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2013, 04:35 AM

(19-01-2013 03:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  To the hateful bigot above FT's post.

Can you keep your venom for the ones that have actually had enough time to settle in and discover what a miserable, poisonous little man you are?

Though you did prove our points with your loathsome bilge.

As opposed to a negative, faithless, person such as yourself? Right? Why are the hell-bound drain circlers always trying to take down as many with them as they can?
19-01-2013, 04:39 AM
(19-01-2013 04:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  

Says the one who believes in souls and a magical sky daddy and a hell which can never harm anybody.

Dodgy

It's true that God is my only Father, but why do you always think He lives in the sky? Huh
Are you saying you congealed in a gutter or something? Or are you saying your mother was impregnated by the Sky Daddy? If so, for shame on her; by biblical law, we must stone her to death.

I'll bring the stones, big enough to hurt, but not to immediately kill.

I could have sworn that the bibal describes world in three layers; Hell, Earth and Heaven, in order of hight.

And that Isaiah says that heaven is above earth, and in a primitive culture where the ignorant belief that the earth was flat, that implies the sky. He certainly wasn't talking about the Ozone layer.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
19-01-2013, 04:40 AM

(19-01-2013 04:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Except that each and everyone of us was born as an atheist.

It wasn't until much later in your life that you deluded yourself into believing that the religion you yourself created is the only true one. Drinking Beverage

Do you have any idea how stupid that response is? That's like saying a dog is an atheist.

I don't care how you try to classify yourself so you don't have to make the impossible argument for atheism, the term "atheist" means only one thing: You don't believe God exists.

Babies have no opinion. Dogs have no opinion. Caterpillars have no opinion. That's not atheism--that's just a lack of awareness.
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
19-01-2013, 04:44 AM
(19-01-2013 04:35 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(19-01-2013 03:56 AM)Vera Wrote:  To the hateful bigot above FT's post.

Can you keep your venom for the ones that have actually had enough time to settle in and discover what a miserable, poisonous little man you are?

Though you did prove our points with your loathsome bilge.

As opposed to a negative, dead end, death-dealing, faithless, amoral, cretin like yourself? Right? The hell-bound drain circlers are always trying to take down as many with them as they can. Isn't that right?
I don't give a fuck what a deranged, hateful and deeply disturbed individual does or thinks (though this word is not really applicable in your case), I'm just asking you to keep the bullshit that fills your fear-infested little world to your own flip-flopping threads and not prey on people who come here asking for real help at a moment of weakness. Your pathetic little "advice" may work on a Xian forum, but it is absolutely out of place here.

And a side note, as you seem truly desperate to have everyone believe the idiocy you're spouting - even if the whole world should agree with you, that won't make it any more true. There is no god and certainly not your ridiculous Jesus-joke and when you die, that'd be the absolute and irrevocable end of you and your precious, little, ego-tormented self.

If you're incapable of accepting this, you'll just go on being just as miserable and hate-filled as you are right now. And I couldn't care less. Just don't spit your venom at those who are braver, smarter, more honest and immensely less egotistical than yourself.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
19-01-2013, 04:55 AM
(19-01-2013 04:40 AM)Egor Wrote:  Do you have any idea how stupid that response is? That's like saying a dog is an atheist.

I don't care how you try to classify yourself so you don't have to make the impossible argument for atheism, the term "atheist" means only one thing: You don't believe God exists.

Babies have no opinion. Dogs have no opinion. Caterpillars have no opinion. That's not atheism--that's just a lack of awareness.
You've been here over a year and yet you still don't know with which definition of "atheism" we are working with (atheism = lack of belief in gods)? That's quite impressive.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
19-01-2013, 07:37 AM
(18-01-2013 06:11 AM)Marmalade Wrote:  Hi everyone, I'm new, so if there's already a thread about this, I apologize. Smile

I just want to put this out there - do you still ever struggle with leaving your faith?

I converted to Christianity fairly late in life - at the age of 28, but I took to it wholeheartedly. I became one of those annoying converts who was zealous and eager to please Jesus. I was in a worship band, went to retreats, and attended various church events 4 times a week. We're talking Christianity from Concentrate. Wink

That lasted 5 years.

Fast forward to now. I was a closet atheist for about 2 or 3 years, and I never really started calling myself an atheist out loud until about a year ago. I'm now pretty solid in my unbelief - 99% of the time - but every now and then I run into one of those rare believers who are able to get under my skin.

Sometimes they're benign and kind:

"It's no coincidence we met...Jesus wants you to come back to the fold, and he's using me to do it."

"God has been talking to me about you, and you have NO idea how much he loves you. I know you'll come back."

"Your problem is that you think too much!"

Sometimes, they say appalling things to me that I wouldn't say to my worst enemy:

"Your cat died because God is trying to give you a wake-up call to go back to church." (My cat was 13...kind of an average lifespan for a cat, I think).

"That medical condition you have? Yeah, that's God's JUDGMENT. You'd better stop this rebellion or IT WILL NOT GO WELL WITH YOU. God will escalate the bad stuff in order to bring you back! Look what he did to Job, and he was faithful!"

The mean, manipulative comments tend to mess me up for several days until my rational mind kicks in again and says something like, "What kind of abusive asshole IS this God if he'd systematically ruin your life just to make you believe in him?! That's not a loving God, that's a wife beater!"

Despite the fact that I've steeped my mind in science and reason, I sometimes still struggle. I don't tell anyone about it, because I don't want people to think I'm stupid or insane...but every now and then, when I'm awake and alone with my thoughts, I sometimes feel the urge to pray - just to see if God will answer me THIS time. Just one little sign.

I feel stupid for these rare sojourns into that old religious fall-back.

Has anyone else struggled with these kinds of thoughts after walking away from the faith? It's been about 6 years since I set foot in a church...and I was only a Christian for 5 years, and yet it still has this grip of guilt and fear on me that I can't shake 100%. Does it ever really go away?

Sorry my post is so long. It's one of those nights of ruthless introspection. LOL!

I have been an atheist since about the age of 10. I am 33, almost 34 now. It has been a very long time. I started a few years ago finding the arguments you talk about very funny. I understand how certain women can feel so low about themselves that they end up with a husband that beats them. I don't agree with it, but I do understand. The religious people that worship a dick and make excuses for it, I tend to find funny. Those arguments sometimes set me off and I start laughing. I know it is mean. I just can't help it. It also helps open them up to talking and listening to what I have to say. The last time this happened, I was busy so I did not get to talk about it. The time before that I know I shook their belief at least a little.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
19-01-2013, 07:52 AM
(19-01-2013 04:28 AM)Egor Wrote:  

Dodgy

I thought about giving you a like for this comment. Then I figured out that you still don't understand that your idea of god is all in your head. Oh and by the way, he/she/it does not live at all. Figments of your imagination die with you.
[+] 2 users Like Birdguy1979's post
19-01-2013, 08:19 AM
(19-01-2013 04:40 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(19-01-2013 04:08 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Except that each and everyone of us was born as an atheist.

Do you have any idea how stupid that response is? That's like saying a dog is an atheist.

You actually managed to pull a like out of me. You are quite correct that it is a lack of awareness in babies. You must spoonfeed that bullshit into them at a young age. You can't believe in something that you are not aware of. If you let a baby grow up without feeding them the bullshit and only teach them things that have been proven and can be tested, they will find religion funny.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post