Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-01-2012, 08:08 PM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
(10-01-2012 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 03:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 02:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 01:08 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Instead of Chas' terse and deadly technique, I'll try a more humane and surrepetitious approach. Let's see who gets the point across first.

Deadly?

You never noticed that sometimes the guy you were talking to stopped replying? That was YOU Chas, you murdering bastard. Making his brain have a seizure by apply too much logic in a single dose.

If it killed his ability to spout nonsense, then my work was done.Big Grin

I do believe, however, that my worst fault as a writer is my terseness.Dodgy

Seems like you could have admitted that with less words.

Have you ever thought of registering your Martial Reasoning as a lethal weapon?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2012, 08:32 PM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
(10-01-2012 08:08 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 03:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 03:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 02:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-01-2012 01:08 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Instead of Chas' terse and deadly technique, I'll try a more humane and surrepetitious approach. Let's see who gets the point across first.

Deadly?

You never noticed that sometimes the guy you were talking to stopped replying? That was YOU Chas, you murdering bastard. Making his brain have a seizure by apply too much logic in a single dose.

If it killed his ability to spout nonsense, then my work was done.Big Grin

I do believe, however, that my worst fault as a writer is my terseness.Dodgy

Seems like you could have admitted that with less words.

Have you ever thought of registering your Martial Reasoning as a lethal weapon?
No, but I'm careful not to talk to myself.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Just wondering why the creationists don't want alchemy taught along side chemistry.
Stork theory along side biology.
Do not pray in schools and do not think in churches.
11-01-2012, 04:18 PM
(11-01-2012 03:32 PM)TheAtheist Wrote:  Just wondering why the creationists don't want alchemy taught along side chemistry.
Stork theory along side biology.
Do not pray in schools and do not think in churches.

Because chemistry doesn't scare the bejeezus out of them.

14-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Creationism has no foundation other than the myths that support it, nothing reality based, it's not even close to being scientific, at best it's pseudo-science.... and that's stretching it... at least big foot has hunters after it and is a bit more plausible...slightly...
17-01-2012, 05:58 PM
I actually wrote about creationism in my WIP diploma work. I suggest teaching creationism in schools along with evolution!!!

(pause for a shock)
Yes, with all the creationist arguments!

The passage has actually to do with spicing up the biology curriculum to make it stir the students' attention. Creationist arguments must be taught and then
disproven (ridiculed) by scientific facts of genetics and biology. This is how the kids will both learn and have fun.
Biology and genetics would be rather boring for laymen, without creationist craziness and great educators like Dawkins, who smack them down with style.
And I quote James Randi in the work also.

[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post
17-01-2012, 06:15 PM
(17-01-2012 05:58 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I actually wrote about creationism in my WIP diploma work. I suggest teaching creationism in schools along with evolution!!!

(pause for a shock)
Yes, with all the creationist arguments!

The passage has actually to do with spicing up the biology curriculum to make it stir the students' attention. Creationist arguments must be taught and then
disproven (ridiculed) by scientific facts of genetics and biology. This is how the kids will both learn and have fun.
Biology and genetics would be rather boring for laymen, without creationist craziness and great educators like Dawkins, who smack them down with style.
And I quote James Randi in the work also.

I admire the motivation, but as it's not science, it doesn't belong in science class.

This kind of discussion belongs in a course on critical thinking, or as an aside to teaching the scientific method.
But don't give creationism the honor of center stage, the target to be knocked down.
Mention it along with phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, alchemy, astrology, etc.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-01-2012, 03:02 AM
(17-01-2012 06:15 PM)Chas Wrote:  I admire the motivation, but as it's not science, it doesn't belong in science class.

This kind of discussion belongs in a course on critical thinking, or as an aside to teaching the scientific method.
But don't give creationism the honor of center stage, the target to be knocked down.
Mention it along with phlogiston, the luminiferous ether, alchemy, astrology, etc.
Well, maybe it will sound strange to you, but I've never had a class of science or a course of critical thinking. Not on elementary or high school. There was physics, biology and chemistry. There were laboratory works from each. But it was mostly about the dry facts (and wet jars of tapeworm) and writing down the laboratory protocol in a correct format.

I'll give you another example. We also of course had the class of language and literature. But the teacher taught us a lot, because he actually knew something about famous people from our history. He knew about their scandalous love affairs and illicit activities and rare or embarrassing diseases they had. And he shared them with us.

I live in a country where there is no religious power in politics, religion was restricted to people's private life. The result is, science gets boring and skeptics lose contact with people and their needs. They sit in the media councils and bash their pet peeves like alternative medicine, but ignore all other bullshit that harms our society, like widespread corruption on highest political levels. Unlike Americans, my nation is a bunch of pussies. We can learn the dry facts of science and make medical discoveries, all right. But that has nothing to do with critical thinking. Bullshit is everywhere, in politics, economy, daily life. We need the controversy, we need to get agitated, both mentally and physically.

[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
18-01-2012, 07:38 AM
I didn't say that such courses were common, but they do exist and need to be part of the public school curriculum. For instance, it is common to have General Science taught in middle school in the U.S. That is an excellent place to teach and discuss the scientific method, critical thinking, philosophy of science, history of science, and so on. But this could also be done under the aegis of the social studies curriculum.
It also changes the nature of the general science class dramatically.

18-01-2012, 10:47 AM
I think that in order to please the religious nutjobs, creationism should be taught in public schools. Students should see creationism as an asterisk in human history. The subject should be included as a mythology and what we "used to believe" in the same way that students today still learn that at one time the Earth was believed to be flat. I could just imagine the school board meetings of them [creationists] protesting saying that they need their beliefs taught in schools. I would just love to see their faces when the school boards would agree to include creationism [*Premature cheers from religious organizations] from the perspective that it is not a science and that it is what people used to prescribe to [*religious organizations mouth's drop to the floor in shock]... XD!
[+] 2 users Like 89ace's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I heard there's two creation versions? smileXsmileXsmile 4 100 Yesterday 04:18 PM
Last Post: smileXsmileXsmile
  Evidence Against (?) Evolution RedJamaX 8 462 12-07-2014 07:12 AM
Last Post: true scotsman
  9 Unscientific Excuses to Ignore Evolution. Metazoa Zeke 13 702 16-06-2014 04:03 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Creation COSMOS. - Funny or Die, lol Bows and Arrows 13 574 07-05-2014 07:00 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  Scientist only want evolution to be true for money? Metazoa Zeke 34 729 23-03-2014 03:32 PM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.
  How to talk about evolution to a creationist Metazoa Zeke 2 275 16-03-2014 02:46 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  Evidence that prove creation,was originally said to never happen by creationist. Metazoa Zeke 14 308 07-03-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou