Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2012, 01:20 AM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
Sure. I think that students should understand how various groups of people think and view the world , and of course creationism is something that's so everywhere that it's only right they understand it and have the right to form their own opinion about it and other things. However, that said, creationism is not exactly science and teaching it in science class seems ridiculous. It belongs in social studies class!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes AstralMystic's post
19-01-2012, 10:04 PM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
After I went through Christian school back in the day and then public school I'd say no. If you can't apply science to it then you are teaching a myth. Why teach people to be ignorant in school? Aren't we trying to get OUT of the dark ages??

If we're to teach creation in school then we may as well go back to teaching that the earth is flat.
20-01-2012, 04:43 AM
I used to be a flat No to this question, but if Creationists want it taught in Science class alongside Evolution then it has be examined openly and critically according to scientific method. Then I'm happy for it to be taught, because any evidence for creation will fail these tests because they are based on religious dogma.
Ultimately, the religious will see it as a victory, but kids aren't stupid, when they see creationism fail scientific methods there's nothing to believe anymore.
10-02-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't want my kids taught creationism in school. But, I would like for them to know what it is about so that they can understand the difference between the scientific and the mythical views. Sorry if this is off topic, (not very experienced with forums, and have no idea where to ask or look) but does anyone know a book for a middle/high school student that shows this difference? Would like to get my son something to read about it.

Ann
10-02-2012, 09:27 AM
I dont understand why some people think that we should adopt the British version of religion in schools. This is not England. Doing that here would be like pouring gasoline onto a fire.
10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
(10-02-2012 09:27 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I dont understand why some people think that we should adopt the British version of religion in schools. This is not England. Doing that here would be like pouring gasoline onto a fire.

What's the British version?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
11-02-2012, 01:14 AM
(03-10-2011 04:26 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  Your opinions please.

I'm fine with creationism being taught in public schools as long as it is kept in context for what it is, religion. Therefore teaching it in a class on comparitive religion would be fine, or even in a class on the history of science when discussing opposition to Darwin and his ideas, but I see no reason to waste time with it in science classes as it has no scientific basis.
[+] 1 user Likes Geode's post
14-02-2012, 07:42 PM
(10-02-2012 12:25 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 09:27 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I dont understand why some people think that we should adopt the British version of religion in schools. This is not England. Doing that here would be like pouring gasoline onto a fire.

What's the British version?
State funded religious schools that openly teaches hogwash.
14-02-2012, 07:49 PM
(14-02-2012 07:42 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  State funded religious schools that openly teaches hogwash.

There are only a few of them. We got it right for the most part.

State schools that teach evolution in science and creationism in R.E.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
15-02-2012, 08:28 PM
No. I can't stand the fact that people are protesting to teach their non-provable magic in a science class. Atheists don't go to churches and say priests have to teach evolution, so why can't it be the same vise versa. It's biased to treat religion on the same intellectual level as science. Evolution is not a theory. Creationism is not science. I don't get how in the 21st century we are still arguing fact vs. fiction. I don't mind creationism being taught in private schools, or churches. But I will not stay quiet if they try to teach it in public school. Maybe school boards are just scared.

School gets you an education, and religion wants to take it away.