Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2011, 06:02 PM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
(05-10-2011 02:20 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  
(04-10-2011 11:00 AM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(04-10-2011 10:40 AM)defacto7 Wrote:  
(03-10-2011 09:06 AM)lucradis Wrote:  Yes. Every aspect of religion should be taught as an optional course in all schools. As mythology. Not as fact.

I would go even a step further and say it should be required to be taught in schools as fiction and myth with no argument whatsoever. There is too much false information going around as scientific spread by zealots of ignorance and kids are vulnerable to it. Let's face it, children are the only crowd that is vulnerable to that kind of misinformation. That kind of crap should be crushed from the git go with a vaccination of reality.

Dream on......

64% of Americans actually believes the creation myth.
60% of Americans actually believe the Noahs arc myth.

They think these things actually happened!!!

Heck, just watch Faux News if you want to see some adult brain washing. Kids are not the only gullible ones floating around.

Those are old numbers it's now like 45% who believe in the creation myth, I'm not sure about the Noah's Arc thing though... but yeah it's dropping dramatically every year. Probably because... *gasp* it's not taught in schools anymore.

Anyways... I don't like those statistics because it doesn't account for the slightly less crazy idea that god 'helped' shape the world with theistic evolution.

So just pulling this out of my ass, but I think a lot more people believe in that one, versus the YEC kinda folks.

After seeing the headlines, only 40% believe in creationism! I admit I was a bit shocked, and I thought we were making progress.

Then I looked at the findings,
http://www.gallup.com/poll/145286/four-a...onism.aspx

40% believe in creationism
38% believe in Intelligent design (God helped evolution of humans)

Those 2 numbers fluctuate slightly, but the sum has remained nearly constant for 28 years. Creationism is on a downturn, but intelligent design is on an upturn. Heck if anything, this is worse than the 60% statistic, which was apparently just wrong.

I am not even sure I can call that meaningful progress tbh.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2011, 11:28 PM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
I would support the idea, "IF" creationism was taught as the fraud that it really is and the creationalist were exposed as the liars that they truly are.

Teaching creationism in school will be fine once there is a stack of verifiable evidence to support it that outweighs and overthrows evolution, continental drift, all knowledge of volcanos, astronomy, astro-physics, genetics, biology, geology, to name a few. It will also need proof that the world is flat, there is a firmament between the low waters and the high waters, that Noah's flood actually happened, that you can see the whole world from the top of a mountain, that stars are about the size of marbles, that you can enter heaven from a building only as tall as one can be made from stone by iron age men, to name a few of the claims made in the bible.

Until all this come to pass, creationism needs to be kept out of schools so it doesn't destroy the future of education.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
06-10-2011, 04:06 AM
I would leave the religions to churches and religion class, in no way would I mention that on biology class, not as true or false, not a word of it in biology, history or geography, those are science classes, religion has no place there, any kind of religion, even myths.

Do you know why so many people believe in ID? Because of ignorance, not because they are stupid, they were made stupid, they were not born stupid. Well some have, but not most of them. It is hard to understand the biological part of evolution and it is very hard to grasp the "millions of years" timeline, since our own life span is so short. That is why education is so important, it is crucial for our survival, if we let Creationists teach the children these BS's, in a couple of generations we would have no more scientists or doctors, where would that leave us? Back to the dark ages and leaches, when Church was the only power and One Church Has Ruled Them All...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-10-2011, 12:06 PM
(03-10-2011 04:26 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  Your opinions please.
HELL no.

I could see a 6 week elective giving an overview of mythology thru time, with xtianity lumped in there as just one more set of myths. As someone else said, perhaps seeing the long record of odd stories would encourage critical thinking & level xtian beliefs out with those of Freya & Thor. I know I was fascinated by myths when I was a kid.

But the ID people - their whole point is to teach there is an xtian explanation. They say ID, but they NEVER mean it was intelligently designed by (fill in ancient pagan god here.) They mean...GOD.

On an unrelated note, why did the options for bold, italic, & underline disappear when I'm writing?

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
06-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I tried to read what you said Evil, but nothing was bold or underlined. You should really work on that. Just kidding.

I don't think that there should even be a question of creationism and all the lovely little bible stories being taught as the fables they are, it's important not only as a leveling feature but more importantly as a learning tool. We should never restrict our learning, not even about myths when they could help us to avoid repeating our delusions.
Again I say it should never be a mandatory course, but it should be offered. If it isn't taught in schools as myth, some people might get the wrong idea and think it's the true story. It might have already happened. BOO.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2011, 01:21 AM
Wink RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
I read everything, aye. Thanks guys. XD

I asked this cause some weird sht happened at my school.

Back then they were teaching both Intelligent Design and Evolution at the same level.
Since it is a Catholic School they expected that the students would do better in their Spirituality Class than in Science, but they were horribly wrong. Every Spirituality Class the teachers had to answer the questions students had like "Why do I find evolution more convincing? :\" and other Evolution stuff. The teachers couldnt handle the cornucopiae of questions they cannot answer so they replaced Evolution with the Big Bang and other theories about the universe but this time they said not to take the Big Bang, etc. seriously because our one true creator is god, and if they question their Spiritual sht they get a whole week with our Guidance Councilor teaching them stuff about god. Everything came from god. Baah baah baah. Sheeple. Last year they taught us like 1 week of Evolution without any quizzes, homeworks, seatworks, etc. and then it was back to Genetics the whole quarter.

I'm writing for the school paper so i thought i should address this.

Sht :|.

Honesty is not doing what is right because you fear that there is someone watching over you, Honesty is doing what is right even when there is no one looking
09-10-2011, 04:33 PM
You are writing for the school paper? Well that is great and yes, you should address this. You got a lot of answers here, use some of that knowledge and write something smart.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
11-10-2011, 07:15 AM

ONLY as long as they ALSO get to teach, in science class, the Scientology Origins of man kind too. :-)

All Hail Lord Xenu!

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
28-11-2011, 02:34 PM
(03-10-2011 04:26 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  Your opinions please.

Sure.
I'll let them teach this type of creation in science class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAOepIU6...ure=colike

About the first synthetic life made.

They can also teach "intelligent design", as long as it is about the history of the human species and their purposeful domestication of plant and animal species on this planet, because this we actually have evidence for.

Science is completely open minded to anything...you just need to provide a little evidence.
28-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Absolutely not. Creationism has no place in the secular class room. I'm very thankful that I wasn't taught this in any of my public schools growing up. I'm also thankful I didn't go to any private schools.

Pseudoscience does not belong in the science class.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]