Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2012, 11:01 AM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
I don't support the idea at all IF both theories are taught in the same class. creation belongs in religious or philosophical subjects. Evolution is for biology

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
Teach scientific facts. Mythology is always an option also, if people are interested in myths.

Something, Or Someone Is Really Out There!
05-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I believe we really should be teaching more philosophy and mythology in schools in America. It would greatly increase the ideas of types of thinking and protocols to critical thinking and logic that is absent in too many students.

In that regard I would put free reign to teach that people who may be the students families themselves believe in some of these thoughts and the idea of creation by God and teach the multiple ideas related to that concept, like the flying spaghetti monster of course.
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
(03-10-2011 04:26 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  Your opinions please.

No. One is Science and the other is woo woo.

As Mark Twain once said, "Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities. Truth isn't."
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
No! Not in public schools. Besides, it's unconstitutional (in the US) to teach "both".

It's even tricky dealing with it in subjects other than science, such as in debate or current events classes where it's theoretically a constitutional cultural studies topic. In schools and communities where opposition to evolution is strongest, I don't have any confidence at all that it won't become just a "cover" to spread creationist misinformation and dogma through other means.
07-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Definitely not. One is fact, the other is heavy speculation based on faith. If religion was the only thing taught in schools without fail, then science would have never provided us with electricity, laptops, tablets, cars, etc.

Perhaps there could be a Mythology class, which woold be optional, but anything other than that is detrimental to the development of children and students.
08-01-2012, 02:59 AM
We observe the evolutionary process, gathered millions upon millions of facts to back up the theory. Evolution has predictive and useful capabilities that we utilize every day in biology, in medicine and in so many other aspects of environmental science. Evolution explains what we observe. What does creation explain ? Please use and explain the creation method for determining anything in biology. Here - I dug up a bone in my back yard in Montana. Dear Creation people - using your method, tell me something about this bone. Or how about I go to a creation doctor and tell him I think I have some kind of viral infection. It feels like a cold, but I don't have any of the normal symptoms. Please use your creation science to figure out what I have, if it matches anything you've seen before, if it can be classified as a certain type of viral infection, what procedures and equipment would you use to determine if the public might be at risk ? Do you know the first thing about viruses at ALL ? Can you predict anything using this creation theory that they taught you in school ? - I believe the answer will be - Well NO !!!

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
08-01-2012, 04:06 PM
im new to the hole idea of atheism... im also new to the forum. i only wish to give my opinion on the subject of this particular forum. I have two teachers in my class. One of them is our teacher in RLE, witch is were norwegain youth learn about religions and ethics. She is also our teacher in science. At 9:30 she teach us how ``god`` created the entire universe. But, at 10:30, she teach us about the big bang and evolution. This leaves me ever so confused... Im only 14 and im already being thought two totally different things, from witch i have to take a stand, and choose a faith, or lack there of. If you have a simular experience, or you just want to give me your opinion, then please tell me.

Aslak 14 years old confused norwegian.
PS, im terribly sorry for the many typos. My english is a bit rusty...

Religion is a product of ignorance.
No offense.
09-01-2012, 12:15 AM
(05-01-2012 05:11 PM)TalladegaTom Wrote:  No. One is Science and the other is woo woo.

Been listening to a lot of Deepak Chopra lately? (Please tell me you haven't)

(06-01-2012 01:04 PM)Euripides Wrote:  No! Not in public schools. Besides, it's unconstitutional (in the US) to teach "both".

It's not unconstitutional at all. It's even making headway in the southern states. Some science classes now have to include a sticker inside their covers that state the evolution is just a theory. States that sound like this:

The trick is to take the religion out of it. It's not "Creationism," that's a crazy religious story. It's "Intelligent Design," a highly scientific and plausible theory.

I think we should go further. Let's teach Stork Theory alongside Human Reproduction and Alchemy with our Chemistry. Let the children decide for themselves which is correct.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
09-01-2012, 01:48 AM
That video makes me cringe so badly. I can't watch it anymore. You never think things like this can happen in the US, but then there it is and I don't feel safe anymore. Sad

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post