Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
Yes they should both be taught in school, but in different classes. Creation myths should be taught as part of religious education. Religion should be taught in school because, like it or not, the majority of people in the world are in fact religious and their lives are influenced by religion, and their choices are influenced by religion, religion has been, and still is a huge factor in society, in history, and therefore should be part of a well rounded education. Let us not be like the creationists who think if they close their eyes and wish really hard that evolution would just go away, it magically will.

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2011, 04:49 PM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
(03-10-2011 04:46 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Again, why?

There is not a single reason to ever teach religious nonsense to kids.
Maybe, a religion class in college....ok

I meant teach it in religious education as a myth, in the same way as Zeus.

And as far as the whole 'evolution in church' thing goes I wasn't actually advocating some sort of deal, I just think it would be amusing to see their reactions and hear their excuses.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
To answer the OP...

HAHAHAHAHA

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
03-10-2011, 04:56 PM
(03-10-2011 04:49 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(03-10-2011 04:46 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  Again, why?

There is not a single reason to ever teach religious nonsense to kids.
Maybe, a religion class in college....ok

I meant teach it in religious education as a myth, in the same way as Zeus.

And as far as the whole 'evolution in church' thing goes I wasn't actually advocating some sort of deal, I just think it would be amusing to see their reactions and hear their excuses.

I knew what you meant, but still, I am against that as well.
What value is there to teaching them this? Its not useful information.

And a teacher in a class that is not under any sort of regulation or standards can teach just about whatever she/he wants. An unbiased atmosphere seems like wishful thinking.
03-10-2011, 05:01 PM
(03-10-2011 04:56 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I knew what you meant, but still, I am against that as well.

And a teacher in a class that is not under any sort of regulation or standards can teach just about whatever she/he wants. An unbiased atmosphere seems like wishful thinking.

I agree with sy2502. Most of the world is religious and so it is relevant to a childs life to know about religion, whether we like it or not.

Anyways I think it could actually be beneficial for a child. Let's face it, they gonna run into a brain washing fundie sooner or later so it's best to give them an unbiased account first so they are better prepared it and can see it for the shit it is without someone ramming it down their throats. It's like teaching kids about drugs, it's better they go into the world knowing the dangers and knowing the facts than going into the world totally ignorant and experimenting for themselves.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
03-10-2011, 05:04 PM
The problem being, where do you find unbiased teachers?

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
03-10-2011, 05:07 PM
(03-10-2011 05:04 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  The problem being, where do you find unbiased teachers?

I live in the UK, our teachers are pretty unbiased. Can see the problem for you Americans though.

Best
Worst
03-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Someone should spend more time reading the posts they reply to. I stated it should be taught as an optional class called mythology. You know what mythology is right? Anyways it's important to remember what we used to believe so that we don't repeat mistakes.
P.s. Calm down you are amongst friendly people.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
(03-10-2011 05:04 PM)UnderTheMicroscope Wrote:  The problem being, where do you find unbiased teachers?
They just need to stick to the topic, then bias won't figure into it.
03-10-2011, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2011 05:50 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(03-10-2011 05:22 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Someone should spend more time reading the posts they reply to. I stated it should be taught as an optional class called mythology. You know what mythology is right? Anyways it's important to remember what we used to believe so that we don't repeat mistakes.
Yah I know what it is, worthless information.

Have you seen how much homework kids get today? Why would you force them to endure through something so worthless? Just on the off chance that it may help them from being indoctrinated in the future?

Repeating history is one of the worst cliche argument in history.

All children are born non-religious.
If no one tells them about it, they will never know anything about it.

(03-10-2011 05:01 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(03-10-2011 04:56 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  I knew what you meant, but still, I am against that as well.

I agree with sy2502. Most of the world is religious and so it is relevant to a childs life to know about religion, whether we like it or not.

Anyways I think it could actually be beneficial for a child. Let's face it, they gonna run into a brain washing fundie sooner or later so it's best to give them an unbiased account first so they are better prepared it and can see it for the shit it is without someone ramming it down their throats. It's like teaching kids about drugs, it's better they go into the world knowing the dangers and knowing the facts than going into the world totally ignorant and experimenting for themselves.

That is interesting. Assuming that a religion class could be taught without bias, then I am still unsure it would get the results you want. I still have doubts as to whether it would actually help prevent them from being indoctrinated.

If it could accomplish that goal, I would be for it, at least for a couple generations. But, at some point it would still lose that purpose.
However, that is a big IF.

But wouldnt something like a philosophy and logical reasoning class be far more valuable?
They learn something useful, and develop actual tools to decipher and detect BS.