Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2012, 09:06 PM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
No.

If Intelligent design, or whatever they're calling it now, had some actual evidence other than "look at it! it MUST HAVE BEEN DESIGNED" then maybe. But it is not a legitimate scientific theory of life and must therefore not be included in classrooms. ESPECIALLY in public ones.

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2012, 08:11 AM
RE: Do you support the idea of teaching both Creation and Evolution theory in schools?
(03-10-2011 04:26 AM)JahFSM Wrote:  Your opinions please.

not on, but Hell no! leave learning creation in bible school. I want my daughter to truly learn about how the universe really works. I want her curiosity about the word to be answered with science ,facts, evidence and critical thinking, not "GOD DUN IT" As Hitchens said,an answer that answers everything ,answers nothing. My daughter has shown to have a much higher than average intellegance(I am not speaking as a pridefull parent, her techers have told me this since she was in preschool and hse has been placed in an advance learning 4th grade(doing 4th ,5th 6th grade work). she loves asking and answering questions,she loves reading.She wants to know how things work. God dun it will stifle her mind.

Give a man a fish ,you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish ,you feed him for a life time,give a man religion,he will die praying for a fish
Find all posts by this user
23-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Most certainly not! Creation as such can be only taught as a myth or a fable, if it really has to be mentioned. Preferably, it shouldn't be mentioned at all, but unfortunately, Christian lobby is strong, or so it seems. And 'it's-only-a-theory' argument that creationists are trying to validate is foolish anyways, so I see no reason whatsoever to learn faulty ideas as this one in schools. "Don't pray in my school, and I won't think in your church", stuff like that.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
28-02-2012, 01:11 AM
I think Intelligent Design should be taught in a History class, because sadly it is a part of our history. however, it should be expressly said that it is NOT fact.

Keep in mind people that intelligent design is not religion its a belief and in my opinion I want my son to learn about ALL beliefs and make his own decision then only learn one thing and be force fed it. Yes Evolution can be proven, and No Intelligent design cannot. However, that does not mean that it is an invalid belief to most of the world. I do not feel that we should ignore something so important to our history.

Also, keep in mind that christians arent the only people that believe in Creationism. and the OP asked "in schools" not "in science class", and Imo it's a very useful part of the middle ages (being that every single person believed it).

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
28-02-2012, 06:19 AM
(28-02-2012 01:11 AM)Likos02 Wrote:  I think Intelligent Design should be taught in a History class, because sadly it is a part of our history. however, it should be expressly said that it is NOT fact.

Keep in mind people that intelligent design is not religion its a belief and in my opinion I want my son to learn about ALL beliefs and make his own decision then only learn one thing and be force fed it. Yes Evolution can be proven, and No Intelligent design cannot. However, that does not mean that it is an invalid belief to most of the world. I do not feel that we should ignore something so important to our history.

Also, keep in mind that christians arent the only people that believe in Creationism. and the OP asked "in schools" not "in science class", and Imo it's a very useful part of the middle ages (being that every single person believed it).

well, then instead of history it should be taught as literature and not to be taking as actuall historical events.(and should be classified as b- literature at that because it does not flow very well and seems to change the story here and there, at points it tells 2 different stories of creation and even the story of jesus is inconsistent between luke and mathew I think?

Give a man a fish ,you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish ,you feed him for a life time,give a man religion,he will die praying for a fish
28-02-2012, 07:44 AM
I say yes. It should be taught as an example of what isn't science and why. Probably half a page should do. This reminds me of c0nc0rdance again (hey, I like his videos). There is a video where he is asking the Discovery Institute questions (he's a molecular biologist, so it's not always easy to follow). In the end, one of the panel gains his respect, the rest are morons in his eyes. So there are creationists that know what they are doing and are very smart. Doesn't excuse their ignoring the data, but shows that it's not simply pure ignoramouses.

A theist and an atheist go to heaven.
theist: "See! There is a heaven."
atheist: "So, you consider heaven a joke too?"
------
Defy gravity... stand up.
28-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Certainly not in a science class. Keep Creationism in a Mythology or Comparative Religion class I have not problem with it but they should teach all the others too!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
29-02-2012, 06:26 PM
(28-02-2012 01:11 AM)Likos02 Wrote:  I think Intelligent Design should be taught in a History class, because sadly it is a part of our history. however, it should be expressly said that it is NOT fact.

I feel it should only be mentioned but not studied. It would be reasonable to say that to teach someone something, it should be fact. It is counterproductive to spend taxpayer money to teach something that isn't fact. Creationism is taken from a book of religious beliefs and tall tales.
Like Dawkins said, evolution is actually intelligent design. Step by step.
Just my 1 cents.

CheersSmile

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
01-03-2012, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 09:29 PM by mysticjbyrd.)
(28-02-2012 07:44 AM)craniumonempty Wrote:  I say yes. It should be taught as an example of what isn't science and why. Probably half a page should do. This reminds me of c0nc0rdance again (hey, I like his videos). There is a video where he is asking the Discovery Institute questions (he's a molecular biologist, so it's not always easy to follow). In the end, one of the panel gains his respect, the rest are morons in his eyes. So there are creationists that know what they are doing and are very smart. Doesn't excuse their ignoring the data, but shows that it's not simply pure ignoramouses.

No its pure brainwashing, thats what religion is, thats how it thrives. One generation, convinces the next generation about their beliefs, and the cycle goes on and on for thousands of years.

It doesn't really matter how intelligent you are, you can be brainwashed just like everyone else.
02-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Is this over the top? I say hell yeah! THIS is so wrong! Slimy religion permeating the system. It is disgusting.
The ACLU thinks so too.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I heard there's two creation versions? smileXsmileXsmile 15 390 17-08-2014 07:35 AM
Last Post: jockmcdock
  Evidence Against (?) Evolution RedJamaX 8 516 12-07-2014 07:12 AM
Last Post: true scotsman
  9 Unscientific Excuses to Ignore Evolution. Metazoa Zeke 13 832 16-06-2014 04:03 PM
Last Post: dancefortwo
  Creation COSMOS. - Funny or Die, lol Bows and Arrows 13 609 07-05-2014 07:00 AM
Last Post: Bible Belt Brawler
  Scientist only want evolution to be true for money? Metazoa Zeke 34 741 23-03-2014 03:32 PM
Last Post: rampant.a.i.
  How to talk about evolution to a creationist Metazoa Zeke 2 300 16-03-2014 02:46 PM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  Evidence that prove creation,was originally said to never happen by creationist. Metazoa Zeke 14 328 07-03-2014 09:16 AM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou