Do you take vitamins and other supplements?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Do you take vitamins and other supplements?
If so what do you take or do you just try to eat really healthy or do you just not give a shit? I have to admit that I take a few things. I take vitamin D and calcium since I live just above the 45th and don't get much sun. I take resveratrol the red wine extract plus some omega 3 oils. I also take Type II Undenatured Collagen for arthritis which has some clinical double blind testing results showing it does work. Not many people know about this supplement. Maybe it's all placebo effect. I donno. Perhaps I'm just hedging my bets and hoping they actually have health benifits. I'm female in my 50's and quite active.

I've only done online research on these supplements looking at the Mayo Clinic and Sloan-Kettering web sites.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2013, 03:23 PM
RE: Do you take vitamins and other supplements?
I take 1500mg calcium per day, and 50,000 IU Vit D weekly, as ordered by my doctors. I have osteoporosis (and vit D deficiency) from corticosteroids and my bone density is really bad for a person of my age, though it's improved 6% in the past 2 years (but it is still bad). I also take folic acid because methotrexate, a chemotherapy drug I take for my skin conditions, causes folic acid deficiency. I take other B vitamins because the endocrinologist told me that they might help with my energy level.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I take a liquid B vitamin complex every other day - it has folic acid and a few other things that can't hurt. I'm pretty much a vegetarian so, I make sure to supplement for electrolytes and amino acids; all the cool brains have that stuff. I also take a few root compounds and herbs that stimulate hormonal stuff. I seem to be doing ok and don't think I'll go with hormone replacement; just not comfortable with overloading on something when I don't think I've been adversely affected.

I might look into that resveratrol but uh... I think I'd rather just have a glass of wine instead of a pill. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I take D and calcium too, and my D reading blood test rose from 80 to 113.
Also on a liver tab (Swisse) and my alcohol related liver enzyme has dropped from 51 to 45 (prolly because I have stopped drinkingTongue)
18-06-2013, 04:44 PM
I take vitamin B supplements for metabolism, hair, skin, etc. I'm not really active and could care less about what I eat, but I occasionally drink a big glass of orange juice mixed with vitamin C and drink bottled water on a daily basis instead of sodas.
18-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Vitamins and supplements = pseudo-medicine.

They are like the pseudo-sciences :
I will explain this with the parapsychology.

1.Telekinesy is not real because the illusionists use spoons make with an aliage who is a blend with nickel and titanium.(Guess which ?). Therefore you can easily manipulate the spoon.

2.Telepathy is not real :
A.When you see someone and that you think "I thought to him(her) yesterday" this is a coincidence.
B.When you think to someone and suddenly the phone ring.
This is a coincidence.
C.If telepathy is real , can you explain to me when you think to a person this is not still like A and B ?

3.If vitamins and placebo help you I think that this is a placebo effect.
18-06-2013, 05:39 PM
I have a pretty varied diet so I don't take vitamins unless I'm sick with a cold or flu and then I mix 2000mg Vitamin D soluble tablets with 2 crushed cloves of garlic in water on a daily basis until I feel better Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
18-06-2013, 06:05 PM
(18-06-2013 05:17 PM)viocjit Wrote:  3.If vitamins and placebo help you I think that this is a placebo effect.

What about instances where you get blood tests, are told you have a deficiency, and then take vits/supplements, get another blood test, and are told you don't have a deficiency anymore?

I have dental problems brought on by vitamin deficiency.

What about people who got scurvy on boats in the past, and then ate some citrus fruit, and were better? The scurvy was all in their mind, I guess.

Certainly, there are some supplements that make outrageous claims on the bottle, but that doesn't mean no supplements have any benefits. The human body actually needs certain vitamins and minerals, and if it doesn't have them, it can have very real, measurable effects.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
18-06-2013, 07:42 PM
I've taken vitamin C a few times. Turned my pee a very unnatural orange. Creepy.

I don't take any supplements. That being said, I'm not against taking vitamins if you aren't getting them in sufficient amounts with your regular diet. Of course, supplements would only be a quick fix, intended to help as the overall picture is corrected. (ie. correcting ones diet so all their nutritional needs are being met with the food they eat.)

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-06-2013, 08:26 PM
^Usually, yes, but in cases like myself, I am on meds that prevent me from absorbing adequate amounts of calcium, no matter how many calcium rich foods I eat. And that's why I consider supplements to be important.

I also have some of those little Vit C drink mix packets, but mainly because I like how they taste. I also like those little Vit C tablets, I used to eat them like candy when I was a kid.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post