Do you take vitamins and other supplements?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2013, 09:41 PM
RE: Do you take vitamins and other supplements?
Vitamins are helpful no question about it. However, nothing will ever beat direct consumption from the source if you are able. The problem with healthy people taking vitamins is the increased chances of overdosing. I know people that do vitamin C dosing and it sketches me out. They only do it when they think they are going to get sick though. You can eat oranges all day every day and you'll likely never overdose on vitamin C. This is because many vitamins, like C, are easily denatured. You cut that orange open and it has already lost vitamins.

Also, your body absorbs vitamins more efficiently when it comes naturally from food. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think the exact reasons are known. Learned it in my nutrition class.

Me personally? I take vitamins on days where my meals were lacking in the nutrition department.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2013, 09:46 PM
My meals are always lacking...

I used to take vitamins regularly...not crazy amounts just a basic multivitamin/mineral and calcium. I got out of the habit but am trying to get back into it again. As suggested by one of my doctors I am adding Vitamin E and B complex. I will take C for a short time if i am sick or around a lot of sick people (school - colds and crap like that).

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
15-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I hear it just makes expensive urine.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
16-07-2013, 07:52 AM
(15-07-2013 10:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I hear it just makes expensive urine.

Unless it is prescribed or recommended by a nutrition, it probably is.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
16-07-2013, 09:28 AM
(16-07-2013 07:52 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(15-07-2013 10:13 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  I hear it just makes expensive urine.

Unless it is prescribed or recommended by a nutrition, it probably is.

Very much so.

Protein supplements, in particular, generally contain far more than most humans could ever metabolize. Hardly seems worth the money for a mere piss-darkener.

A multivitamin to hedge your bets if your diet's lacking at the moment, that's reasonable. Much more than that almost certainly isn't.

... this is my signature!
30-07-2013, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2013 05:00 PM by mysterics.)
(18-06-2013 05:17 PM)viocjit Wrote:  Vitamins and supplements = pseudo-medicine.
It's not medicine, it's nourishment, good if you have poor appetite, have a great dislike or allergies of certain food.

I rarely take supplements, when I do it's because I'm unwell, almost always vitamin C or B complex, and if i've lost a fair bit of blood, iron.
If I've been vomiting I'll take glucose.
31-07-2013, 06:34 PM
As of right now I take Vega: http://myvega.com/product/vega-one-nutritional-shake/ and I occasionally drink a protein shake. If you are vegetarian, I recommend you take both.
21-08-2013, 06:37 AM
No, I always try to have well balanced diet. It is better we can take all the nourishment from our meals. I add more fruits, vegetables and meat to my meal.

Buy training vest for any age group.
24-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Mostly I think taking supplements is really just expensive piss. Unless, of course, it's been prescribed by a healthcare professional. I used to have a Vit D deficiency, so my Dr recommended I take a supplement until it was righted (and also told me to stand in the sun more). I took it when it was needed, and now that it's back up to normal I don't need it any more.

At them moment I take magnesium because I'm on medication that causes jaw clenching, and the magnesium helps relieve that. Again, advised by my doctor.

If you're going to be taking any sort of supplements I really do think you should talk to your Dr first. They will know about any contraindications, toxic dose, how much is wasted money etc.

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
24-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I take red wine often and single malt Irish whiskey occasionally. Do they count ?