Do you think Christianity is all about making money?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Do you think Christianity is all about making money?
I mean think about it. They guilt you every Sunday and take your money. They have "faith healers" come and then they take your money. I watched a very interesting documentary on YouTube where they made a fake faith healer. They showed him tricks on how to perform fake miracles. One of the tricks was when someone had one leg shorter then the other they would just slide part of the shoe down! Then they would trick the victim into believing that they were healed. They also explained that adrenaline also worked.

So this documentary got me thinking. Are all those big evangelists out to get your money? It also makes me wonder if pastors are just in it for the money. It was a real eye opener. I'll have to find the documentary and post it here but I'm at work at the moment.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2016, 08:18 AM
RE: Do you think Christianity is all about making money?
Christianity itself may not be all about the money, but the Big Name evangelists and the phony healers are for certain. Most of my family are Christians, and they don't got no money nor are looking for it,
[+] 3 users Like DerFish's post
15-01-2016, 08:57 AM
I don't think that christianity is only about money. One should not forgot about power over minds of flock or political clout. However it can be argued that these are only means for aquisition of even more cash but I doubt it as wanting to control life of others isn't exactly unknown thing amongst humans.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
15-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Are ALL of them in it just for the money?

No. Some of them want money. Some of them want political power. Some of them want authority over other people. Some of them genuinely believe and are genuinely trying to forward the message. And some of them wrap all four of them up into the same package. (ie, "we want money and political power so that we can have authority over other people so as to spread our message to them.")

Are SOME of them in it just for the money? Definitely.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 5 users Like Reltzik's post
15-01-2016, 10:00 AM
No, it is all about controlling other people's behavior, especially in matters of reproduction and control of resources.

However, are televangelists all about the money? Yes. So are the high-up types in most cash-generating religions. But do also are the high-ups in any business, it comes along with the territory.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
15-01-2016, 11:45 AM
The troubling thing is, Christians have no way of telling frauds from the real deal because the exact same subjective methods they use to determine what is true will yield the exact same results when an evangelist is fraudulent.

Confirmation bias (Holy Ghost confirmation) will tell them Peter Popoff or Joel Osteen is the real deal, but when proof is given that they are frauds, they'll use post-hoc rationalizations to sweep it under the rug and pretend that their communication with the "Spirit" doesn't yield fundamental errors in their judgement.

To think that certain individuals interested in making money off of people that are willing to be duped wouldn't notice this is laughable. They know they got a cash cow waiting to be milked, and even if they are discovered to be frauds, the same group that made the evangelist rich in the first place, will be the same group to forgive or rationalize their blind stupidity.

I know of no other enterprise where this social dynamic between perp and victim can be maintained so effectively irregardless of evidence.

James Randi exposed Peter Popoff on the Johnny Carson show in front of the world, it provided a temporary inconvenience for Popoff, the SOB is still making money off of sick and old people on fixed incomes:

Exposed “healer” Popoff is back to take your money

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post
15-01-2016, 11:49 AM
It's a business that requires funds to continue.

I don't think the goal is money. I think the goal is power/control/influence. And power/control/influence can be made from...or can be used to acquire money.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
15-01-2016, 01:22 PM
It's a busness. And for the people at the top a very profitable business.

st peter's basilica
[Image: 4661791-saint-peter-s-basilica-interior.jpg]

Vatican City
[/img]
[Image: Vatican.jpg]

Joel Osteen Private Jet
[Image: _MG_4936%20copy_2048.jpg]

Inside Mormon Temple
[Image: jpeg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 4 users Like Commonsensei's post
15-01-2016, 01:34 PM
There's a reason why faith healers aren't employed at hospitals.

Just sayin'...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
15-01-2016, 06:04 PM
(15-01-2016 08:11 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I mean think about it. They guilt you every Sunday and take your money. They have "faith healers" come and then they take your money. I watched a very interesting documentary on YouTube where they made a fake faith healer. They showed him tricks on how to perform fake miracles. One of the tricks was when someone had one leg shorter then the other they would just slide part of the shoe down! Then they would trick the victim into believing that they were healed. They also explained that adrenaline also worked.

So this documentary got me thinking. Are all those big evangelists out to get your money? It also makes me wonder if pastors are just in it for the money. It was a real eye opener. I'll have to find the documentary and post it here but I'm at work at the moment.

Does a one legged duck swim in a circle?

Is the pope catholic?

Christianity was, is, and always will be all about money and power. Remove that and you're left with nothing...no churches, no advertising, no door knocking, no pleas, no faith, no Jeebus. Nothing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Mark Fulton's post