Do you think Christianity is all about making money?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 07:00 PM
RE: Do you think Christianity is all about making money?
Every religion begins with this basic premise.

One guy says to another guy:

"Hey, buddy. God told me to tell you that he wants you to do what I say because God speaks through me.

Oh, and God also said that you should give me some money so I can tell everyone else."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
15-01-2016, 07:35 PM
It's about gaining power over people as well.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
15-01-2016, 07:44 PM
https://youtu.be/iuP5uOI7Xwc

That is the documentary I watched on youtube. Enjoy it! I know I did. Smile Post your comments too! I'd love to hear what you think of it.
16-01-2016, 09:10 AM
(15-01-2016 07:35 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  It's about gaining power over people as well.

I think that's what all religion is. A power trip.
[+] 3 users Like musicharmony87's post
16-01-2016, 09:22 AM
(15-01-2016 08:11 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I mean think about it. They guilt you every Sunday and take your money. They have "faith healers" come and then they take your money. I watched a very interesting documentary on YouTube where they made a fake faith healer. They showed him tricks on how to perform fake miracles. One of the tricks was when someone had one leg shorter then the other they would just slide part of the shoe down! Then they would trick the victim into believing that they were healed. They also explained that adrenaline also worked.

So this documentary got me thinking. Are all those big evangelists out to get your money? It also makes me wonder if pastors are just in it for the money. It was a real eye opener. I'll have to find the documentary and post it here but I'm at work at the moment.

That and controlling people. Did you ever think how rich you could be if you were dishonest and wrote books on apologetics for the millions of deluded people out there who are just waiting to be told what to believe.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
16-01-2016, 11:41 AM
(15-01-2016 07:44 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  https://youtu.be/iuP5uOI7Xwc

That is the documentary I watched on youtube. Enjoy it! I know I did. Smile Post your comments too! I'd love to hear what you think of it.

Watched it...that guy was a pretty good speaker considering the short time. Amazing how gullible people can be if they want to believe something, and the lengths the preachers will go for some cash.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
16-01-2016, 08:17 PM
(16-01-2016 11:41 AM)Imathinker Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 07:44 PM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  https://youtu.be/iuP5uOI7Xwc

Watched it...that guy was a pretty good speaker considering the short time. Amazing how gullible people can be if they want to believe something, and the lengths the preachers will go for some cash.

Yeah people can be pretty gullible. Have you seen the YouTube videos on Benny Hinn exposed? It's kind of the same thing. They keep the real sick people away and choose people who aren't really sick just to fool everyone. That's where this question came in. It got me wondering if religion is all but a scam for a quick buck.
17-01-2016, 04:16 PM
My understanding is that the 10% that the churches use today for the amount that church goers are supposed to tithe to the church actually stems from Rabbinic tradition. –Okay, so they hate Rabbinic teachings that disprove their concept of messiah, but they happily keep the traditions that make them money.

Charity, as described in Jewish law, is supposed to go to the Levite to support the people performing temple service and also to provide a sort of welfare system to those who are in need. As it was taught to me, in the era of the Temple, if anyone needed protection or care, they’d go to live in the city of Levites and they’d be provided for.

After the destruction of the temple and the subsequent scattering of the Jews, the accepted system was to just hand money to people in need. In the modern day era, in addition to handing over food, clothing, money and other necessary items to those in need, we also send money to charities providing health, human or educational services –the total value of which should be a minimum of 10% of all income, but must never exceed 20%.

Interestingly, in spite of having what I understand is the same foundation for the practice of tithing, Jewish and Christian modes of carrying this out have evolved differently. A Christian gives money to their church and a Jew gives money directly to people in need or indirectly through various charities. The synagogue establishes a set budget that the community approves and each family pays a share of the expenses. No extra funds need to be sent to the synagogue.
24-01-2016, 03:49 AM
(17-01-2016 04:16 PM)Aliza Wrote:  My understanding is that the 10% that the churches use today for the amount that church goers are supposed to tithe to the church actually stems from Rabbinic tradition. –Okay, so they hate Rabbinic teachings that disprove their concept of messiah, but they happily keep the traditions that make them money.

Charity, as described in Jewish law, is supposed to go to the Levite to support the people performing temple service and also to provide a sort of welfare system to those who are in need. As it was taught to me, in the era of the Temple, if anyone needed protection or care, they’d go to live in the city of Levites and they’d be provided for.

After the destruction of the temple and the subsequent scattering of the Jews, the accepted system was to just hand money to people in need. In the modern day era, in addition to handing over food, clothing, money and other necessary items to those in need, we also send money to charities providing health, human or educational services –the total value of which should be a minimum of 10% of all income, but must never exceed 20%.

Interestingly, in spite of having what I understand is the same foundation for the practice of tithing, Jewish and Christian modes of carrying this out have evolved differently. A Christian gives money to their church and a Jew gives money directly to people in need or indirectly through various charities. The synagogue establishes a set budget that the community approves and each family pays a share of the expenses. No extra funds need to be sent to the synagogue.

"A Christian gives money to their church and a Jew gives money directly to people in need..."

Really?

Does "the synagogue" keep a record of moneys given to the needy?

Do "people in need" include atheists, Christians and Muslims?

What funds are sent to the synagogue by the typical Jew?

These are genuine questions I would like to hear answers to.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
24-01-2016, 04:44 AM
I think the preisthood (and its modern variants) has long been about men finding ways to avoid doing actual work.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post