Do you think Christianity is all about making money?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2016, 05:30 AM
RE: Do you think Christianity is all about making money?
(24-01-2016 04:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I think the preisthood (and its modern variants) has long been about men finding ways to avoid doing actual work.

But they're doing actual work just not one that is admirable or productive. Their work is to lie and constant lying isn't easy task.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2016, 08:49 AM
(24-01-2016 05:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 04:44 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  I think the preisthood (and its modern variants) has long been about men finding ways to avoid doing actual work.

But they're doing actual work just not one that is admirable or productive. Their work is to lie and constant lying isn't easy task.

It also doesn't require much physical effort. A stupid priest wouldn't be successful, a lazy one would if he was clever enough. I knew guys in the Navy who worked very hard at not working. I loved messing with their plans.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
24-01-2016, 08:58 AM
(24-01-2016 08:49 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  It also doesn't require much physical effort.

It does not but it is work all the same. Not every job is about physical effort.

(24-01-2016 08:49 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  A stupid priest wouldn't be successful, a lazy one would if he was clever enough. I knew guys in the Navy who worked very hard at not working. I loved messing with their plans.

I think that even stupid priest could be succesful, only his parishioners must be in the same intelectual league.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-01-2016, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2016 11:42 AM by Tomasia.)
(15-01-2016 08:11 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I mean think about it. They guilt you every Sunday and take your money. They have "faith healers" come and then they take your money. I watched a very interesting documentary on YouTube where they made a fake faith healer. They showed him tricks on how to perform fake miracles. One of the tricks was when someone had one leg shorter then the other they would just slide part of the shoe down! Then they would trick the victim into believing that they were healed. They also explained that adrenaline also worked.

So this documentary got me thinking. Are all those big evangelists out to get your money? It also makes me wonder if pastors are just in it for the money. It was a real eye opener. I'll have to find the documentary and post it here but I'm at work at the moment.

Well, that's a weird way to draw one huge generalization of a religion of close to 2 billion people. Are their folks who seek to become preachers to exploit a few dollars out the flock, for personal wealth? Sure. Just like there's plenty of "civil rights" leaders who profited considerably, who took bribes, etc... and exploited their well meaning movements for personal gain. Are there plenty of preachers who joined the ministry because they truly believe in it? Of course, are they better representative of most preachers, I think so. A profession in ministry, doesn't tend to be a particularly profitable career for most folks. It makes as much sense as going into teaching for money.

You should perhaps go meet some preachers at your local church, or the folks who are currently studying to be ministers themselves, to recognize your own prejudices, rather than drawing from televangelist, and the sort of pastors that grab headlines.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-01-2016, 10:02 AM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2016 08:05 PM by Aliza.)
(24-01-2016 03:49 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 04:16 PM)Aliza Wrote:  "A Christian gives money to their church and a Jew gives money directly to people in need..."
Really?
Does "the synagogue" keep a record of moneys given to the needy?

Nobody monitors anyone else to make sure that a Jew is fulfilling their charity obligations. That's just not how Judaism works. I have never been asked who I support, or how much I provide. I would consider it to be a gross invasion of privacy if someone felt that they were entitled to know. I have no idea if my neighbors are actually giving the full amount to charity or not. It's none of my business. It's really never discussed. We know what we're supposed to do, and that's it. We either do it, or we don't.

As far as giving money to the synagogue and then having the synagogue distribute funds to people in need, I have never seen anything like this happen. A synagogue's primary job is not to support the needy; it's to provide a service to the community. Community members utilize and pay for those services much like any other business. There is a board of directors made up of community members who set the budget, determine membership dues and ensure that expenses stay on track. If there is a surplus in funds from one year, I would expect that those funds will be used the next year and not handed out to community members as charity.

(24-01-2016 03:49 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Do "people in need" include atheists, Christians and Muslims?

“People in need” refers to all humans. I would imagine that most charity money is given to professionally run charities, but people are also known to hand cash directly over to people in need. As far as charity handouts go, Jewish charities service all people regardless of religion, and this can be verified by viewing policies that are published on the charity's website.

(24-01-2016 03:49 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  What funds are sent to the synagogue by the typical Jew?

Pulling mainly from my own personal experience, I’ve typically seen membership fees that are around $500 USD/year for a single, and around $1,500 USD/year for a family. Rates are determined by the shul’s expenses, so if the community likes a posh building with lots of services, then that will be reflected in the price.

I think it's worth noting (because this tends to be a point of contention that the Jewish community deals with from Christians), it is not compulsory to pay the fee to attend regular services, though we’ve seen through practice that most people will pay the fee. High Holiday services do require a fee for non-members because the synagogue has incurred extra expenses in anticipation of the higher turnout. In contrast to this, Chabad houses tend to free or very low cost and are prepared to accommodate drop-ins.

Just to give you an example of how Jewish charity is structured… let’s suppose a family has a household income of $100,000 USD/year.

Off the bat, $10,000 is earmarked for charity. Of this only $1,500 goes to the synagogue membership to cover operating expenses. This leaves $8,500 to be given to any individual, charity or cause that the family deems appropriate, and broken up in any way that they decide. Food and blankets may be purchased and handed out directly to people in need. A person might decide that a poor family’s child should have a better education, so they cover tuition. Someone may believe that a part of this money should go to cover animal welfare programs. -Or the money may be given directly to an individual or to a charity that provides health, human, or educational services.

(24-01-2016 03:49 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  These are genuine questions I would like to hear answers to.

What I have described above is how I have been taught to handle charity. While I’m the furthest thing from a proper Rabbi, I hope I’ve been able to answer your questions to your satisfaction. Smile

Edit: Reorganized and trimmed down for clarity.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
24-01-2016, 11:35 AM
(24-01-2016 09:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 08:11 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  I mean think about it. They guilt you every Sunday and take your money. They have "faith healers" come and then they take your money. I watched a very interesting documentary on YouTube where they made a fake faith healer. They showed him tricks on how to perform fake miracles. One of the tricks was when someone had one leg shorter then the other they would just slide part of the shoe down! Then they would trick the victim into believing that they were healed. They also explained that adrenaline also worked.

So this documentary got me thinking. Are all those big evangelists out to get your money? It also makes me wonder if pastors are just in it for the money. It was a real eye opener. I'll have to find the documentary and post it here but I'm at work at the moment.

Well, that's a weird way to draw one huge generalization of a religion of close to 2 billion people. Are their folks who seek to become preachers to exploit a few dollars out the flock, for personal wealth? Sure. Just like their plenty of "civil rights" leaders who profited considerably, who took bribes, etc... and exploited their well meaning movements for personal gain. Are their plenty of preachers who joined the ministry because they truly believe in it? Of course, are they better representative of most preachers, I think so. A profession in ministry, doesn't tend to be a particularly profitable career for most folks. It makes as much sense as going into teaching for money.

You should perhaps go meet some preachers at your local church, or the folks who are currently studying to be ministers themselves, to recognize your own prejudices, rather than drawing from televangelist, and the sort of pastors that grab headlines.
Close to 2 billion? Christianity has already 2.4 billion baptized people. Islam has 1.6 billion people.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
24-01-2016, 11:43 AM
(24-01-2016 11:35 AM)Leo Wrote:  Close to 2 billion? Christianity has already 2.4 billion baptized people. Islam has 1.6 billion people.

Sorry, a little over 2 billion.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
24-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Of course it's about the money.

Destiny's empire worth $20m

Destiny Church's shower of cash

Destiny's $6 million windfall

I'd be willing to bet that a big reason why many poor people stay poor is that they give generously to their church of choice.
24-01-2016, 12:40 PM
I think it's all about deluding yourself you can survive your own death out of dread of your inevitable return to the abyss. That's what I think.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-01-2016, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2016 01:36 PM by Tomasia.)
(24-01-2016 12:36 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I'd be willing to bet that a big reason why many poor people stay poor is that they give generously to their church of choice.

lol, do you constantly pull shit out your ass?

Do poor people give a significant percentage of their income to churches?

You do realize that now a days if you're poor and uneducated you're less likely to go church than if you're not. Even though the poor identify as more religious.

"In the early part of the last century, Putnam says, lower income families were equally or more likely than wealthy families to be members of religious institutions. By the 1970's, that had started to change, and children of parents with the lowest education levels were slightly less likely to attend religious services compared to the children of more educated parents.

Now that has more than doubled: teenage children of the least educated adults today spend about a third less time in religious services than the children of parents with college and graduate degrees, according to Putnam's analysis of several major national public opinion surveys.

The gap in attendance, scholars say, is not about a decline of religious belief. Research has found that belief in God or the power of prayer may actually be lower among people of higher educational status. The disparity emerges in which children actually show up in churches, temples and mosques."

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/in-plain-...ch-n325796

And there a variety of studies indicating that church attendance, tends be a associated with a variety of health indicators, including higher income.

"A number of researchers have found striking correlations between religion and various measures of well being. For example, religious participation is correlated with lower levels of deviant behavior and better health. And, attending religious services weekly, rather than not at all, has the same effect on individuals' reported happiness as moving from the bottom to the top quartile of the income distribution."

http://www.nber.org/digest/oct05/w11377.html

"While religious service attendance has decreased for all white Americans since the early 1970s, the rate of decline has been more than twice as high for less educated, lower and lower-middle class whites compared to more educated and presumably more affluent whites, according to a study presented Saturday at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association in Las Vegas.
“My assumption going into this research was that middle America was more religious and conservative in general than more educated America,” study author Brad Wilcox told msnbc.com. “But what is surprising about this is that when it comes to religion as well as marriage, we find that the college educated are more conventional in their lifestyle than middle Americans.”

In the last four decades, monthly (or more) participation in religious services dropped from 50 percent of moderately educated (high school and perhaps some college) whites to 37 percent, according to the study, “No Money, No Honey, No Church: The Deinstitutionalization of Religious Life Among the White Working Class.” Attendance by the least educated (high school dropouts) dropped from 38 percent to 23 percent, by sociologists Wilcox, of the University of Virginia and Andrew Cherlin of Johns Hopkins University found.

Church attendance by higher-income whites with at least a bachelor’s degree barely dipped, from 50 percent to 46 percent."