Do you think Christianity is all about making money?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2016, 01:33 PM
RE: Do you think Christianity is all about making money?
Answering the OP.
Yes it is about power and wealth. Always was, always will be.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
24-01-2016, 01:48 PM
(24-01-2016 01:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Answering the OP.
Yes it is about power and wealth. Always was, always will be.

The snake oil most (but not all) seem to be selling is some bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity. They should be summarily executed to see if any survive their own death.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-01-2016, 03:30 PM
Money is for amateurs! Its all about power

[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
24-01-2016, 04:17 PM
(24-01-2016 03:30 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Money is for amateurs! Its all about power

Eusebius did well under Constantine. As did the Greek Priests under their masters. Hell look at Halliburton under Bush.
Being close to power has its advantages.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
24-01-2016, 07:34 PM
my grandmother went to church for many years and must have gave them a shitload of money, because months after her death my sister (who lives in the house now) received prepaid envelopes from the church for her donations. needless to say my sister was not happy about it, and sent them a letter basically saying that the church would never see another dollar from her since she was fuckin dead. oh and when my grandmother asked for her pastor to come see her on her death bed he never replied back. years of faithfully going to church and giving them her money and he couldnt even do that. what a heartless shit hole. i hope he dies of penis cancer.
24-01-2016, 08:57 PM
(24-01-2016 09:01 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Well, that's a weird way to draw one huge generalization of a religion of close to 2 billion people. Are their folks who seek to become preachers to exploit a few dollars out the flock, for personal wealth? Sure. Just like there's plenty of "civil rights" leaders who profited considerably, who took bribes, etc... and exploited their well meaning movements for personal gain. Are there plenty of preachers who joined the ministry because they truly believe in it? Of course, are they better representative of most preachers, I think so. A profession in ministry, doesn't tend to be a particularly profitable career for most folks. It makes as much sense as going into teaching for money.

You should perhaps go meet some preachers at your local church, or the folks who are currently studying to be ministers themselves, to recognize your own prejudices, rather than drawing from televangelist, and the sort of pastors that grab headlines.

There are 2 billion priests? No. There's over a billion suckers/ignorant fools, and those getting their money and controlling them.

That's religion.

Banjo.
25-01-2016, 07:10 AM
(24-01-2016 08:57 PM)Banjo Wrote:  There are 2 billion priests? No. There's over a billion suckers/ignorant fools.

Says the fool.

Quote: and those getting their money and controlling them.

That's religion.

Only a fool imagines the motivation of perhaps a few million preachers and pastors are the same. That imagine that folks like MLK, and Creflo Dollar are driven by the same motivation. That folks like Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Desmond Tutu, Oscar Romero, joined the ministry for the pursuit of wealth.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-01-2016, 09:21 AM
(15-01-2016 08:18 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Christianity itself may not be all about the money, but the Big Name evangelists and the phony healers are for certain. Most of my family are Christians, and they don't got no money nor are looking for it,

This 100%.

If the topic is mega-church TV evangelists, then yes, it is all a con. A con that works amazingly well.

If the topic is Christianity as an entire religion, then no. I would guess that well under 10% of Christians are employing their religion as some sort of con. The reasons why people are religious are too many and varied to simply lump all Christians into one group. Statistically speaking, I'd guess the two biggest factors are:
  • Childhood indoctrination (what got me), and
  • The person "felt" something "undeniable" or "had an experience"
The last is entirely subjective, but if they interpret their experience as "god", then it tends to be a very powerful motivating force for years or decades.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
25-01-2016, 09:25 AM
(25-01-2016 09:21 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 08:18 AM)DerFish Wrote:  Christianity itself may not be all about the money, but the Big Name evangelists and the phony healers are for certain. Most of my family are Christians, and they don't got no money nor are looking for it,

This 100%.

If the topic is mega-church TV evangelists, then yes, it is all a con. A con that works amazingly well.

If the topic is Christianity as an entire religion, then no. I would guess that well under 10% of Christians are employing their religion as some sort of con. The reasons why people are religious are too many and varied to simply lump all Christians into one group. Statistically speaking, I'd guess the two biggest factors are:
  • Childhood indoctrination (what got me), and
  • The person "felt" something "undeniable" or "had an experience"
The last is entirely subjective, but if they interpret their experience as "god", then it tends to be a very powerful motivating force for years or decades.

You forgot "fear of death and the unknown".

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
25-01-2016, 09:27 AM
i wish i had it in me to be a pathological liar. being a priest/pastor only requires that you stand and talk about a bunch of bullshit that you didnt even have to think up yourself. easy money! a sweet gig for a lazy person like myself. and the more charasmatic you are the more money you can get. unfortunately i actually have morals.