Do you think Christianity is all about making money?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2016, 09:15 PM
RE: Do you think Christianity is all about making money?
(25-01-2016 06:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 03:29 PM)Aliza Wrote:  We are absolutely known for our charity. Smile We're also known as a whole for being a self-sustained community that contributes more than we utilize in resources. We make up less than 1/2 of 1% of the world's population and generate WAY more than our fair share to social service programs.

26 Billion Bucks

JTA Survey

I believe it's the Talmud that details minimum and maximum amounts for charity. 10% is the minimum, and the expected amount. If a person is very wealthy, they may give up to a 20% maximum of income. It is against Jewish law to give more than this amount.

Interesting. Thanks.

I guess the Jews do owe the rest of the world a few favours for giving us Christianity and Islam. Big Grin Imagine what a nice place our world would be without those two.Tongue

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

No, no, no, Mark! We didn't give it! It was stolen from us!

IT WAS STOLEN! -And they don't even pay us royalties on the book!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
26-01-2016, 03:12 AM
(25-01-2016 09:15 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 06:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Interesting. Thanks.

I guess the Jews do owe the rest of the world a few favours for giving us Christianity and Islam. Big Grin Imagine what a nice place our world would be without those two.Tongue

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

True Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
26-01-2016, 03:32 AM

You could take it back along with followers of these faiths Smile.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
26-01-2016, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2016 03:42 AM by Mark Fulton.)

I must admit I have a small soft spot for the Jews. They don't overtly hassle anyone any more, other than their own kids. That doesn't mean they're not totally deluded and in many respects barking mad. Despite that many of them are really smart and funny and real. They value intellectualism (although not in regards to their own religion) and that is admirable. I've just learned that many of them are very generous.

It's a shame Christians and Islamists can't be more like the Jews. Some Christians are halfway there and most Muslims are not. It seems that the longer a religion has been in existence the more smart and real its participants become. Consider Mormonism and Scientology and you'll get what I mean.
26-01-2016, 03:50 AM
(26-01-2016 03:32 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 09:15 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

Yep.

Imagine a world with no Judaism, no Christianity and no Islam.

Take it one step further...no countries and no racism.

Then get rid of the other toxic big corporations... for eg. no macdonalds, no kfc.

Then make advertising illegal.

Then eliminate illegal drug usage.

What a wonderful world that would be!
26-01-2016, 04:19 AM
(26-01-2016 03:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Imagine a world with no Judaism, no Christianity and no Islam.

I would not be sad it these religions were to disappear.

(26-01-2016 03:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Take it one step further...no countries and no racism.

Then get rid of the other toxic big corporations... for eg. no macdonalds, no kfc.

Did I detect sarcasm?

(26-01-2016 03:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Then eliminate illegal drug usage.

Eliminate illegal drug usage? Sure, by legalizing drugs. Then indeed it would be wonderful world free of clowns hiding need of controlling others behind false concern for them.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-01-2016, 07:42 AM
(26-01-2016 03:32 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 09:15 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

We don't want them. We'll take the book back, but we don't want the followers. There's a reason we don't proselytize. Smile We'd much rather that they join your team.
26-01-2016, 08:40 AM
(26-01-2016 07:42 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(26-01-2016 03:32 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  You could take it back along with followers of these faiths Smile.

We don't want them. We'll take the book back, but we don't want the followers. There's a reason we don't proselytize. Smile We'd much rather that they join your team.

I'm not surprised that you don't want them back. As for the book help yourself Smile.

As for joing our team I doubt that it will happen.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
26-01-2016, 09:08 AM
(25-01-2016 03:42 PM)Stevil Wrote:  The churches often demand 10%, many do a shaming if people don't give.

Poor people need their money, they can't afford to give up 10%. They need to save for their future.

I can only imagine how poor I would be if I had to give up 10% of my earnings every year. Then calculate the extra compound interest on Morgage that I would have had to pay.

You based this on what, some headline you read in news? Do you know anyone personally who was shamed for not contributing 10%?

What percentage of churches do you believe shame members who don't contribute 10%, let alone their poor members? One survey of respondents who claims to give 10% of their income to charity, showed that when looked at their taxes, that only 3% of these responders gave more than 5% to charity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-brig...46516.html

Tithes is also at all time low, where the average tithe is about 2%.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/tithin...ppy-58237/

Whats ironic about individuals such as yourself and many other atheists, who speak so strongly in support of evidence and rationalism, routinely pass off easily debunkable BS. Rather than taking two seconds to verify if your purely antidotal claims are supported by the data, you chose the lazy mans route and prefer to pass along whatever anti-religious prejudices caught your fancy hoping no one calls you out on it.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-01-2016, 10:40 AM
(26-01-2016 03:50 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(26-01-2016 03:32 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  You could take it back along with followers of these faiths Smile.

Yep.

Imagine a world with no Judaism, no Christianity and no Islam.

Take it one step further...no countries and no racism.

Then eliminate illegal drug usage.

We could be rid of illegal drug use so easily - decriminalize it. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post