Do you think everyone should be allowed to have kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2014, 11:00 PM
RE: Do you think everyone should be allowed to have kids?
I'd like to see a abstract psychological test for people to have kids. Like, the fucking matrix.
Maybe people with high IQ/parenting rate (a rate of how well their previous kids did in school and in life, because IQs have to be developed by stimulating the brain correctly, and they are not completely hereditary) should be bred with a high hereditary health and non-defected parent, and the child should be raised by the former. Not forced bred, or forced to have kids, but they should have suitors or if like a dating site becomes infrastructure in society, they should be recommended, if they have a low parenting rate, a conditioning class should be recommended for good parenting. If they have low health, they should be send to a mandatory reconditionign class. Each couple should have atleast one high parenting rate and health. (That means if one person in the couple has both, it is valid.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
06-04-2014, 01:01 AM
(05-04-2014 07:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 06:49 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Do I think everyone should be aloud? No.
Do I think it's realistic to put rules in place to prevent people from having children? No. Not in a western society where human rights are a thing anyway.

If you were to implement this what happens if someone has a child who isn't suppose too? Nothing good can come out of punishing that person. It harms them and it harms that baby.
You could argue that punishment will prevent people who aren't aloud to have babies from having babies, but it wont. This isn't like weed where some people agree it should be banned and other agree it shouldn't be. That you can get away with banning. Having babies is something everyone agrees people have the right to do and so you're gonna get blatant ignoring of any rules you put in place and huge protests.

The only viable way to do this would be some sort of extreme authoritarian government with police state like crack down on public disobedience for which having babies would be the least of your concerns.

China's on child policy is a real-world case. Results and consequences are documented and can be studied.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy
http://www.smh.com.au/world/chinese-pare...zqouh.html

Tip of iceberg.

And look at China. Authoritarian state with a history of poor human rights.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
06-04-2014, 01:19 AM
I do not think every person should procreate. I use as an example myself. I grew up alone with no close relationships. As a result I feel I am a little egocentric. I focused on learning to become a professional musician. I had two happy relationships with amazing women. However I noticed they were lonely while I practised all the time or went away on tour. As time passed we all realized that this was a problem. Each relationship ended sadly but we remain best of friends.
My own family was dangerous in the extreme and in the back of my mind I have worried I would be neglectful due to my selfishness.

So no. Not every person should have kids. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-04-2014, 03:46 PM
I don't think everyone should, but there isn't any feasible way to prevent the least qualified of us from reproducing.
[+] 1 user Likes Juv's post
06-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Visit camden nj or some parts of philly and you will say hell no, make them all sterile

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
06-04-2014, 05:38 PM
I would have to say yes. Stupid parents are the price we pay for a semblance of freedom.

Besides, the internet seems to be doing a good job of undermining the influence of parents.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
06-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Do I think everyone should be allowed to have kids? No.

Do I think there is an easy way to determine who should/should not have kids? No.

Do I think there would be an honest way to enforce this without the possibility of corruption or misuse of the power? No.

I suppose to me this means we just have to try and improve our child protective services. Stories like the one Losty talked about should never happen No my heart breaks for those kids, and my deepest respect goes to honest foster parents who want to help kids regardless of the monetary assistance they receive.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
07-04-2014, 01:24 AM
The U.S. has practiced eugenics programs through sterilization in the past, targeting the mentally and physically challenged, criminals, Latinos and other immigrant groups--all poor. The consequences were always devastating.

The largest target group will be women, especially poor, uneducated women and single moms. The fathers will hardly figure in here as it will be rationalized that the majority of caregiving is done by women, and it is.

In the end, I believe what we would have is another way to control women's reproductive rights, and eventually go back to using her morality to judge fit parenting.

Also, no one, no one at all, has the ability to make such judgments. We would have to come up with an actively involved God for that.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
07-04-2014, 04:27 AM
I think that when a woman is pregnant,she (and optionally her husband) should take a cursus on how to properly treat your baby and a cursus in economy

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
08-04-2014, 01:56 PM
(05-04-2014 01:38 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 01:21 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  I have this cousin "K"
K has 2 kids "L"-girl and "O"-boy.
When O was about 8 months he went to a well check with his pediatrician and the doctor called children services because he was so tiny and so skinny the doctor could not believe he was 8 months old. Children services had several meeting with K telling her how and how often to feed O, but he still wasn't growing or gaining weight. Finally a woman from children services brought K a can of formula, went over the instructions on how to make it, and told her she would be back in 2 days to check on O and the formula should be gone by then. When the woman returned 2 days later the can if formula sat on the counter where she left it, unopened. O was removed from K's care and placed in a foster home. K was then ordered to have routine visits from children services in order to keep her daughter L. All was well for a few months, L was three she was big enough to feed herself (sadly). Until one day L had huge shoe shaped bruise on her back. K insisted that is was her boyfriend and not her who kicked L. So they let her keep L and scheduled her to start doing drug tests. K failed her first drug test. By this time my aunt had finally gotten baby O out of foster care and living with her so L went to live with my aunt too. K was livid. How dare they take her only means to child support and food stamps? How date they remove her little money makers? Who would buy her drugs now??
Ever since then it's been a back and forth game K gets therapy passes a few blood tests and take O and L back. K fails drug tests or one of the kids gets a bruise back to my aunt again.
O is now 5 and L is 8, what kind of life is this for children?
This is what I mean about stricter. One time only second chance maybe depending on why they were removed, but just giving them back over and over is unacceptable.

Over here we have an organization called Social Services. They handle everything from care for the elderly to dealing with child abuse.

They've come under a lot of flak recently because of the string of child deaths due to severe neglect and/or abuse, where Social Services failed to act.

In this country I think its more a case of bureaucracy and red tape preventing them from doing their jobs, rather than a lack of strictness.

But then again, there have been several incidences where "opportunities to intervene were missed or ignored"... So it could also just be plain incompetence.

They always say the same thing, that "lessons must be learned"... But every year there's another case every bit as shocking as the last.

I might add a few more thoughts to your list of reasons why DCS or CPS fails at times: a) it's orgnized and run by humans, and humans are fallible; and b) a potentially unknown number of "fraudulent" claims that may turn out to be a pissed off acquaintence/relative/co-parent. I can only offer anecdotal evidence of the latter, but I can say that in my "professional" capacity (disclaimer: I am a secretary in a psychology practice, not anywhere near a true professional) I see a fair amount of the latter.

I think this is a philosophical question to which there is no right answer. Children don't deserve to suffer the accidents of their birth any more than adults deserve to have their right to procreate squashed by a government trying to be benevolent. I personally believe that as a species, we need to come to grips with the fact that bad stuff happens, often to good or innocent people. We can't avoid that. All we can do is the best that we can do, and be careful that we don't eviscerate one person while we're trying to save another.