Do you think that aliens would bother to come to a highly superstitious planet?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2012, 05:28 PM
RE: Do you think that aliens would bother to come to a highly superstitious planet?
If they have mastered space travel then I imagine that there wouldnt be anything here that they actually need.... resources wise or otherwise.

If they had superior technology then I dont see why they would actually have to ever pronounce that they are here..... why would they??? What could we ever offer them???

I dont think spirituality on this planet would be considered any more important than anything else really.... it is simply a part of us, one factor in a infinite amount of others..... they will observe us in a way that we can never observe ourselves.

If they have discovered us.... then that means they will have probably discovered lots of other life on other planets.... this planets life compared to other planets life may be very very boring and in the grand scheme of things we would simply be a "classification" on a scale.

Another things is if they are studying this planet then we (as in humans) are simply a teeny weeny factor compared to everything else on earth, that is we may "rule" and make the most impact, however they have a multitude of other things to study like all other life be it plant or animal... they may be interested in the make up of the very planet itself as part of their studies..... im sure they wouldnt study just "us".... they would study everything.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2012, 02:12 PM
RE: Do you think that aliens would bother to come to a highly superstitious planet?
If I were an alien, and there was a planet that was colonized by squishy, bipedal creatures that did things like this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

And this:

And, most horrifyingly, this:

...I'd turn my spaceship around, put that fucker in hyperdrive and high-tail it in the other direction.

But, that's me. I can't speak for the entire alien race.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
30-09-2012, 04:08 PM
No, aliens probably would not come to a highly superstitious planet. Not publically, anyway. If they ever visited us or even visit us regularly and live among us as some people claim, then they must avoid governments and officials. No landing on the hoarfrost-covered lawn in front of Kremlin. Why? That's simple.

1) Firstly, the moment they show up, all governments would want their technologies, like a crowd of children screaming for candy. You can't give just one when the others want too. The others would turn on the one and on the aliens too. Ever heard of an apple of discord?

2) Secondly, it is easy for space visitors to be considered gods or angels. But the superstitious crowd is fickle, it may very easily change into false gods, fallen angels and dowright demons and devils.

3) Thirdly, the change in point 2 may very probably depend on (non)disclosure of the technologies mentioned in point 1.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
30-09-2012, 04:11 PM
(30-09-2012 04:08 PM)Luminon Wrote:  No, aliens probably would not come to a highly superstitious planet. Not publically, anyway. If they ever visited us or even visit us regularly and live among us as some people claim, then they must avoid governments and officials. No landing on the hoarfrost-covered lawn in front of Kremlin. Why? That's simple.

1) Firstly, the moment they show up, all governments would want their technologies, like a crowd of children screaming for candy. You can't give just one when the others want too. The others would turn on the one and on the aliens too. Ever heard of an apple of discord?

2) Secondly, it is easy for space visitors to be considered gods or angels. But the superstitious crowd is fickle, it may very easily change into false gods, fallen angels and dowright demons and devils.

3) Thirdly, the change in point 2 may very probably depend on (non)disclosure of the technologies mentioned in point 1.

They wouldn't share any technology until they were dealing with a body representing the planet.

They wouldn't give a shit about 2 or 3.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-09-2012, 04:43 PM
(30-09-2012 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  They wouldn't share any technology until they were dealing with a body representing the planet.

If you think so... Got any theory on the supposed alien space craft appearing on historical paintings? They probably cared so little, that they didn't even bother to turn on the invisible cloaking Wink

Let's get a little crazy. What if the countless UFOs on our contemporary skies are the space police officers, trying to catch the graffitti vandals damaging our crops? Looks like a patrol to me, with a colourful flashing beacon Tongue

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
30-09-2012, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 08:56 AM by Chas.)
(30-09-2012 04:43 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(30-09-2012 04:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  They wouldn't share any technology until they were dealing with a body representing the planet.

If you think so... Got any theory on the supposed alien space craft appearing on historical paintings? They probably cared so little, that they didn't even bother to turn on the invisible cloaking Wink

Let's get a little crazy. What if the countless UFOs on our contemporary skies are the space police officers, trying to catch the graffitti vandals damaging our crops? Looks like a patrol to me, with a colourful flashing beacon Tongue

Supposed.

And you can't seriously be suggesting crop circles are of non-human origin.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
02-10-2012, 08:49 AM
What I dont understand is why they would travel billions of miles across the universe, just to pester some redneck with an anal fixation.

The secret to a happy life is lowering your expectations to the point where they are already met
[+] 1 user Likes PeterKA's post
02-10-2012, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 09:18 AM by Vosur.)
(30-09-2012 04:43 PM)Luminon Wrote:  

Oh Lumi, one day you may learn the fine arts of critical thinking. It appears that you still have no idea what a credible source is or how to question suspicious information.

That being said, what makes you think that these paintings are supposed to represent alien space craft?
03-10-2012, 01:44 PM
(02-10-2012 09:13 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Oh Lumi, one day you may learn the fine arts of critical thinking. It appears that you still have no idea what a credible source is or how to question suspicious information.
I can think critically, when with religious or new agey people. Then the critical thinking kicks in as a compensating reaction. But here I feel you guys might use some broader view on certain questions and general open-mindedness (or perhaps the ability of suspending judgement until you can actually say yes or not), so I can't help it, I instinctively try to add what's missing into the mix. Thank you for being a Dawkins-loving, Bible-bashing skeptic, so that I can be myself and don't have play this role, not here. (wow, this sounds deep, so in for some sarcasm)
Maybe you believe in vicarious sacrament Smile (scientists and journals doing the science for you) but it works for me also to go through observations and experiences personally and then make sense of them. Best of both worlds.

Hey, but I do think critically! When it comes to stuff that even skeptics tend to let slip by, like sociology and politics of science, questioning the economic principles and so on.

(02-10-2012 09:13 AM)Vosur Wrote:  That being said, what makes you think that these paintings are supposed to represent alien space craft?
I just make an assumption, basically. I saw some weird things in the sky several times. If some medieval painters saw them too, I wouldn't be surprised that they had put them into paintings. I heard this practice was quite widespread, smuggling in the little details.
Although I do not think these necessarily are from another solar system. I like what my sources suggest, that these are civilizations from neighbouring solid planets that primarily live on etheric levels of matter. That would neatly explain how did they get into solar system (they were already here), how did they overcome the light speed barrier (they didn't) and why aren't they curious about our planet, culture and politicians. (after so many years?) And maybe also why didn't they leave when they saw George Bush in the office, our solar system is their home, basically. The question is, if they still can be called aliens, then.

So this is my current working opinion. I don't say I'm 100% sure about it, I don't have to be, it's not that important in our situation. It just fits well together with some other information and experience I have. If I see some new facts, I'll have to discard this opinion and find some better one.

The Venus Project
03-10-2012, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2012 02:29 PM by Vosur.)
(03-10-2012 01:44 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I can think critically, when with religious or new agey people.
I can see that. Rolleyes

(03-10-2012 01:44 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Maybe you believe in vicarious sacrament Smile (scientists and journals doing the science for you) but it works for me also to go through observations and experiences personally and then make sense of them. Best of both worlds.
Please tell me more about how you dismiss the importance and validity of peer reviewed papers because they don't publish anything about your new age woo.

(03-10-2012 01:44 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I just make an assumption, basically. I saw some weird things in the sky several times. If some medieval painters saw them too, I wouldn't be surprised that they had put them into paintings. I heard this practice was quite widespread, smuggling in the little details.
Although I do not think these necessarily are from another solar system. I like what my sources suggest, that these are civilizations from neighbouring solid planets that primarily live on etheric levels of matter. That would neatly explain how did they get into solar system (they were already here), how did they overcome the light speed barrier (they didn't) and why aren't they curious about our planet, culture and politicians. (after so many years?) And maybe also why didn't they leave when they saw George Bush in the office, our solar system is their home, basically. The question is, if they still can be called aliens, then.

So this is my current working opinion. I don't say I'm 100% sure about it, I don't have to be, it's not that important in our situation. It just fits well together with some other information and experience I have. If I see some new facts, I'll have to discard this opinion and find some better one.
If you don't have any credible source for the suggestion that there are other intelligent life forms within our own solar system or for the existence of "etheric levels of matter" (whatever the fuck that's supposed to be), don't even bother.