Do you think that religion is starting to be discussed more or less?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Do you think that religion is starting to be discussed more or less?
This question obviously depends on where you live or who you live with.

If yes- How so? Is this a negative or a positive?
If no- ^ same as the above.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 06:15 PM
RE: Do you think that religion is starting to be discussed more or less?
Well,more people try to debate me since more people know i'm an atheist,but in the recent months i didnt have the will to do so and i've been avoiding them. I also stopped debating the nutcracks at ray comfort's page.
I think the increase of people who want to debate me is generally positive,but not now while i need time to sort my life out and reboot. My absence on ray comfort's page is both good and bad. Good because it has saved me a lot of frustration and facepalms,but bad because i lost touch with quite a few special people there,who i value just as much as TTA .

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
17-02-2014, 06:20 PM
(17-02-2014 06:15 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I think the increase of people who want to debate me is generally positive

Because they are listening to your point of view?
17-02-2014, 06:30 PM
It is more debated because there are more atheists and they are more open because of the dawkins books etc.
And it is good because religion collapses more easily when it is not isolated.
17-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Yes. More.
New Atheism has sparked a massive resurgence in apologetics.
I think the huge numbers of people buying books about New Atheism err... I mean non-stamp collecting are predominantly theists. Ohmy

Thanks Mr Hitchens/Dawkins/Harris....
17-02-2014, 06:33 PM
(17-02-2014 06:31 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Yes. More.
New Atheism has sparked a massive resurgence in apologetics.
I think the huge numbers of people buying books about New Atheism err... I mean non-stamp collecting are predominantly theists. Ohmy

Thanks Mr Hitchens/Dawkins/Harris....

Yeah those authors make Lion running scared for his SUPERSTITION MUAHAHA! Shy
17-02-2014, 07:07 PM
(17-02-2014 06:20 PM)thedudette Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:15 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  I think the increase of people who want to debate me is generally positive

Because they are listening to your point of view?

no,because i like debating about religion in general .
It's good because it helps develop my speech. I've always had trouble making arguments on the spot(just talking with people made me stutter,huge silences,ect), and since i started debating it helped a lot. I stutter way less and there aint huge gaps of silence when i talk. It also helps me to remember information that would otherwise be lost and forgotten,and to know where my understanding of things is lacking.
I don't actually think most of them are listening to my arguments. Or atleast,they listen to it to respond,but they don't really procces and analize the arguments i make. Most of the time they are just too devensive about their position to actually think about the arguments.
You haven't answered your questions(well,i also didnt answer your question i guess). Do you think it gets discussed more and more,and if so or not so,do you think it is a neg or a plus?

17-02-2014, 07:22 PM
(17-02-2014 07:07 PM)Lightvader Wrote:  
(17-02-2014 06:20 PM)thedudette Wrote:  Because they are listening to your point of view?

no,because i like debating about religion in general .
It's good because it helps develop my speech. I've always had trouble making arguments on the spot(just talking with people made me stutter,huge silences,ect), and since i started debating it helped a lot. I stutter way less and there aint huge gaps of silence when i talk. It also helps me to remember information that would otherwise be lost and forgotten,and to know where my understanding of things is lacking.
I don't actually think most of them are listening to my arguments. Or atleast,they listen to it to respond,but they don't really procces and analize the arguments i make. Most of the time they are just too devensive about their position to actually think about the arguments.
You haven't answered your questions(well,i also didnt answer your question i guess). Do you think it gets discussed more and more,and if so or not so,do you think it is a neg or a plus?

I think I lack the eloquence to debate, but practice makes perfect I suppose.

I do think it's being talked about more but I am spilt on whether or not it's a good thing. On one hand the neutral religious people are hearing more of the secular side and are starting to question their belief system...but I doubt the religious extremists sit idle and watch their tenets collapse... Those who do take their religion to heart will probably corrupt the more docile individuals in society.

XD so yeah, I'm torn Smile
17-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Ok now to answer the question:
i do think religion gets discussed more and more,and that is thanks to the internet wich is a great source of information for anyone willing to learn and wich also provides a platform to debate about these things without fear of consequences like shunning,alienating friends ,etc.
I think it is a good thing,because just as you pointed out,the religiously moderates get a chance to hear about the other side and gets to see we are not the sinfull baby-eating monsters as religion depicts us,and they also get to see the poor and horrible things the religious extremists do in order to win religion back.

17-02-2014, 07:41 PM
More by less people.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".