Do you think there are advanced alien races out there similar to ours?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
RE: Do you think there are advanced alien races out there similar to ours?
(02-05-2012 04:17 PM)kim Wrote:  What? You never read Horton Hears A Who? Dodgy

How do we know bacteria isn't intelligent? There seems to be a lot of variety and each seem able to spread and multiply pretty good; looks like they want to survive. Just because we are unable to communicate with something, doesn't mean it's not a sentient being. Not that I'm advocating communicating with bacteria, but I often wonder what they must make of us. Shocking
_________
You know, there are times when I consider humans to be a virus. Not always, just sometimes... when they do stupid shit.
Shy

I agree too. Our perception is likely very limited - just our senses and our reasoning ability. I bet the world and universe are full of stuff or even beings we can't even perceive. We don't know shit.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
(03-05-2012 10:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-05-2012 04:17 PM)kim Wrote:  What? You never read Horton Hears A Who? Dodgy

How do we know bacteria isn't intelligent? There seems to be a lot of variety and each seem able to spread and multiply pretty good; looks like they want to survive. Just because we are unable to communicate with something, doesn't mean it's not a sentient being. Not that I'm advocating communicating with bacteria, but I often wonder what they must make of us. Shocking
_________
You know, there are times when I consider humans to be a virus. Not always, just sometimes... when they do stupid shit.
Shy

I agree too. Our perception is likely very limited - just our senses and our reasoning ability. I bet the world and universe are full of stuff or even beings we can't even perceive. We don't know shit.
If it turns out that all life is carbon based then I think there is plenty we could determine about extraterrestial life without having any contact with them.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
03-05-2012, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 05:37 PM by cufflink.)
There's a serious SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) conference being held next month in Santa Clara, California:

http://seticon.com/

For interested people in the area, it should be a great weekend. A lot of big names in SETI will be there, including Frank Drake of the famous Drake Equation (referenced earlier by Bucky).

List of speakers

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
04-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Of course, there must be.
I think it's probably almost a common thing. If you have a planet within the right area away from it's star, not to hot not to cold, I don't see any reason why life could not develop. After all, it pretty much did it twice on this planet (dinosaurs, mammals), more if you count all that sea crap before the dinosaurs.
Just weather they are intelligent or not remains to be seen. I have seen doco's on dinosaurs and they believe that the earth had much higher amounts of oxygen back then then it does now which allowed for the huge size where as after the meteor oxygen levels dropped and so smaller animals developed, us for example.
So things like oxygen levels, or gravity levels would effect greatly the creatures that evolve I should think.
And that would be just creatures with a bit of size to them, bacteria seems to be everywhere.
Some of Jupiter's moons for example may have bacteria of some form. Like said before, they found it on Mars.

The problem we have is we can/have been only able to see really big planets (like big big) in other galaxies, and even then only when they pass their star (small black dot would represent a planet), so we don't have any way of knowing exactly how many earth size planets within the right area of their stars are even out their. Unless that has changed in the last 2years..

What you also have to remember is that we have only been on this planet a fraction of its life time and so not only would you have to find the right planet under right circumstances that it could develop intelligent life (so it may have life, but more like dinosaurs then humans, and I don't think the dinosaurs built radio wave towers), but you have to get the right time in that planets life that that life is still around, then you have to be able to send a signal to that planet and that planet then has to be able to pick up on that signal. So I don't think we are going to be able to make contact with other life any time soon.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
04-05-2012, 04:07 AM
Whatever that is, extraterrestrial life is more likely than God, if you place probability of both of them. Nevertheless, to believe there is life out there without any evidence is a logical fallacy.

“Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.”
- Richard Dawkins
04-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Probability is the evidence.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
07-05-2012, 12:10 PM
(04-05-2012 04:07 AM)mikeschneider Wrote:  Whatever that is, extraterrestrial life is more likely than God, if you place probability of both of them. Nevertheless, to believe there is life out there without any evidence is a logical fallacy.
The probability of other life-forms greatly, and I mean GREATLY, outweighs the probability that they do not exist. This probability is so great, that it is good-enough evidence. It would be absolutely arrogant for you to believe otherwise.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
07-05-2012, 01:06 PM
What if every 50000 years a race of sythetic life know as the Reapers comes through wiping out all advanced civilizations?

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
The odds of earth being the only planet with life on it are utterly absurd...but we have no evidence to suggest otherwise right now...so we must suspend our judgement on this one.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
(07-05-2012 01:10 PM)reverendjeremiah Wrote:  The odds of earth being the only planet with life on it are utterly absurd...but we have no evidence to suggest otherwise right now...so we must suspend our judgement on this one.
I suppose the only evidence is philisophical. The odd thing is that if we never find life we will never know. As long as we haven't found life there will always be speculation that there is more out there.

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post