Do you think there are advanced alien races out there similar to ours?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
RE: Do you think there are advanced alien races out there similar to ours?
(03-05-2012 11:04 AM)germanyt Wrote:  If it turns out that all life is carbon based then I think there is plenty we could determine about extraterrestial life without having any contact with them.

Suspect, at the very least, Silicon, (14) based organisms will be found. (Very similar to Carbon, chemically).

[Image: periodic%20table.png]

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 01:38 PM
KC and I discussed the possibility of Silicon based life before. Think we spent an hour or more just thinking of what they might look like. What types of organs and such they would have.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-05-2012, 01:46 PM
(07-05-2012 01:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  What if every 50000 years a race of sythetic life know as the Reapers comes through wiping out all advanced civilizations?
Ha - like Galactus? I love Silver Surfer. Heart

They might be known as the Reapers to us.. they might call themselves ...hmm... Scientists... or ooh; Gods... or ?

"Advanced" might be a relative term.

I don't think I would have much of a problem with "house cleaning" every 50,000 years. Might be good to get rid of some things, while a shame to get rid of others. But... starting over is starting over - from scratch.
Seems ok to me - not like I live long enough for it to piss me off. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
07-05-2012, 05:14 PM
(07-05-2012 01:38 PM)germanyt Wrote:  KC and I discussed the possibility of Silicon based life before. Think we spent an hour or more just thinking of what they might look like. What types of organs and such they would have.
That sounds like a retarded conversation.
07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
(07-05-2012 05:14 PM)jackashflash Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 01:38 PM)germanyt Wrote:  KC and I discussed the possibility of Silicon based life before. Think we spent an hour or more just thinking of what they might look like. What types of organs and such they would have.
That sounds like a retarded conversation.
Living outside the box brah.

What kind of person makes a comment like that? No

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
07-05-2012, 06:10 PM
(07-05-2012 05:35 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 05:14 PM)jackashflash Wrote:  That sounds like a retarded conversation.
Living outside the box brah.

What kind of person makes a comment like that? No
One that is smart enough to know that such a conversation is an utter waste of time.
07-05-2012, 06:44 PM
So says the......oh wait. Not my job.

Gt, proceed sir.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
My answer to the OP question: No, I don't.

The SETI delusion derives from the same defects in our "theory of mind" as:

Believing in gods.

Hunting for ghosts, like in those stupid cable TV shows.

Having "conversations" with the Siri app on your iPhone.

Letting the Turing Test fool you.

Thinking like Alex Jones.

In other words, we wrongly attribute "minds" to mindless things on many occasions, and SETI just shows more of the same. I mean, seriously, when you explain SETI as the idea that geeks analogous to our Carl Sagan live on exoplanets and would like to communicate with us through radio telescopes, it sounds ridiculous.
[+] 1 user Likes advancedatheist's post
07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
(07-05-2012 01:06 PM)germanyt Wrote:  What if every 50000 years a race of sythetic life know as the Reapers comes through wiping out all advanced civilizations?
Somebody plays a little too much Mass Effect.
Great game though.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
08-05-2012, 11:12 AM
(07-05-2012 09:30 PM)advancedatheist Wrote:  My answer to the OP question: No, I don't.

The SETI delusion derives from the same defects in our "theory of mind" as:

Believing in gods.

Hunting for ghosts, like in those stupid cable TV shows.

Having "conversations" with the Siri app on your iPhone.

Letting the Turing Test fool you.

Thinking like Alex Jones.

In other words, we wrongly attribute "minds" to mindless things on many occasions, and SETI just shows more of the same. I mean, seriously, when you explain SETI as the idea that geeks analogous to our Carl Sagan live on exoplanets and would like to communicate with us through radio telescopes, it sounds ridiculous.
Although I personally view the SETI project as practically futile, I commend their efforts. You also insinuate in your comment that SETI is searching for aliens that are trying to communicate with us. That is only a part of the effort. They are searching for any radio frequencies outside of our own. This might come from their technology and has nothing to do with communications. Although chances are very slim that another advanced race is using radio frequencies, we all know that when it comes to the Universe, even the most rare events are very common.

SETI also picks up astronomical phenomena like the big bang background noise so that's a side benefit. They contribute to science in other ways as well. Info on this is out there so a simple Google search should net results if you're so inclined.

If you equate the hunt for aliens to ghost hunting, I am of the opinion that you need to reexamine your understanding of Cosmology. To me, it's far more ridiculous to think that there are no other Carl Sagan level minds out there in the Universe. Hell, we could all be monkeys to other intelligent life like monkeys are to us.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes NoahsFarce's post