RE: Do you think this is unethical?
Fucking Filox with the selective reading going on... Tongue

Y is being unethical.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2012, 07:22 AM
Hafnof, your points are good and valid, but they do not apply in this case, because here we have a site that pushes cookies into your computer and that is NOT ethical thing to do. I just installed Ghostery in my Opera and I have protected myself from assholes like that site X. Also, My Firefox has Do-Not-Track from AVG antivirus, so I am protected there as well. I can surf that page X normally, just by protecting myself. There is nothing unethical there.

HoC, no he is not, site X is being unethical, person Y is just protecting his privacy on Internet, something we all should be doing.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
18-06-2012, 07:33 AM
WTF Filox? The question wasn't about cookies but rather accessing another's intellectual property. Oh my Gwynnies, you silly geek. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
18-06-2012, 09:18 AM
No matter how it is set up to pay for the articles, it's requested that they are paid for. Even if one clears the cookies because they're one's personal cookies- go ahead and do that, because sure, you own them-, one should still pay for anything after the 10th article as requested.

Saying you don't have to is like saying you can take a photo, that I've watermarked and copyrighted for no reprints, and you printed it off for your own personal use to hang on your wall without permission, because hey, it showed up on *your* laptop screen.

Whether or not the article company is joining the masses to make money, that is the choice they've made and it's everyone else's choice if they'll support that by either abiding or not support by not participating at all.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
18-06-2012, 09:53 AM
(18-06-2012 12:50 AM)cufflink Wrote:  A related question is, what would you do if you were in Y's position? And did you have to think about your decision and weigh various factors, or was it immediately clear to you, i.e. a no-brainer?

To answer the second part of the question: I think a lot of people fall victim to the Ring of Gyges, and I really can't put myself above those people.

If it was in my self-interest to access articles, and that site was the only place available for the specific ones I desired, it wouldn't be a complete no-brainer, but I'd definitely delete the cookies to access the site.

I think the average person is willing to commit immoral acts in promotion of their own self-interests as long as the effect it has on others (e.g. the business not making money for their service) and the consequences/punishment on them isn't immediately/clearly known i.e. it's "out of sight out of mind".

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
18-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Hmmm... Consider

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
18-06-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't think Y is unethical; I think he's rationalizing and in doing so, he is indirectly supporting a revolution which decries the monetization of the interwebz.

Where the hell is my Che smiley? Libertad! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
18-06-2012, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012 06:57 PM by GirlyMan.)
(18-06-2012 10:39 AM)kim Wrote:  I don't think Y is unethical; I think he's rationalizing and in doing so, he is indirectly supporting a revolution which decries the monetization of the interwebz.

Where the hell is my Che smiley? Libertad! Smile

¡Viva la Revolución! [Image: cheguevara-smiley-face.gif]

No brainer. The New York Times, er I mean X, is the one behaving unethically. Firstly, they get plenty of revenue from selling ad space on their website, the more views they get, the more advertising revenue they receive. They are just trying to further maximize profits by milking the readers whose mere presence already determines their advertising revenue. That's just a dick move. Secondly, they are trying to surreptitiously monitor me in order to pull this dick move. Fuck that, I'd be a fool not to try and circumvent that bullshit. Finally, it's a very bad business plan because savvy readers will be turned off by dick moves and will likely just say "Fuck you New York Times (er, I mean X), you ain't nothing special, I can get the same information elsewhere from non-dicks." thus reducing their advertising revenue.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
18-06-2012, 09:22 PM
This is a silly dilemma. Just take Kant's logic into consideration-- "What if everyone did it?"

Yes, it is unethical.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
18-06-2012, 10:50 PM
No it's not.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson