Do you think this is unethical?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2012, 09:55 PM
RE: Do you think this is unethical?
Sure, it's stealing. So is downloading copyrighted materials without paying for them. It's the same thing.
Is it unethical? Well maybe a little, but as far as ethical foibles go, its's pretty miniscule.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2012, 08:26 PM
(23-06-2012 09:55 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Sure, it's stealing.

If you don't notice it's missing, how is it stealing?

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
24-06-2012, 09:33 PM
(24-06-2012 08:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 09:55 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Sure, it's stealing.

If you don't notice it's missing, how is it stealing?
Taking something from another that you were not entitled to is not stealing if they don't notice? Interesting ethics:
--So it's ok to take possessions from the home of a patient in hospice care because they'll never notice?
--Breaking into another person's wireless internet connection to steal internet is ok so long as they don't notice?
--Forgery is ok, so long as you're good enough not to get caught?
25-06-2012, 03:45 AM
Wait BryanS, did you even read the rest of these posts? It is illegal for any web page to push their tracking cookies in my computer, I can do whatever I want with my computer and the cookies they put in, so it is not stealing, it is very bad security and completely legal way of avoiding their "security".

To bypass their whole security about 10 articles per month, all you need to do is clean your cookies. How is that stealing, please explain.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-06-2012, 03:58 AM
It's stealing. It's unethical.
Enjoy until their tard Web-programmer can fix it, and it might not be wise to let them know at all, cause they might go over their records and see that the cookie was generated on your computer 2342 times a day.....

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
25-06-2012, 03:12 PM
(25-06-2012 03:58 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  It's stealing. It's unethical.
Would you care to elaborate? Why is it stealing? The website owner does not suffer any kind of loss because you clean your cookies.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
25-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Why is stealing unethical?

Ownership is a strange idea anyway...
25-06-2012, 05:21 PM
(25-06-2012 03:45 AM)Filox Wrote:  Wait BryanS, did you even read the rest of these posts? It is illegal for any web page to push their tracking cookies in my computer, I can do whatever I want with my computer and the cookies they put in, so it is not stealing, it is very bad security and completely legal way of avoiding their "security".

To bypass their whole security about 10 articles per month, all you need to do is clean your cookies. How is that stealing, please explain.

Cookies are illegal? Besides you, who says that? What law? I read the OP and skimmed some of the rest--the cookies thing seemed like a tangent/distraction. But having paid a bit more attention to those posts, I can see why you don't like the idea of a cooking being used due to privacy concerns. I take privacy issues seriously, but also seriously, you don't have to accept cookies either. You can use browsers that allow you to disable or pick and chose which cookies are accepted. So I wouldn't just claim you are getting cookie-abused Smile

Printing things on paper is legal too. But printing your own tickets to attend an event without paying for it would be stealing. Just because it is easy to steal some things doesn't make it not stealing. Most sites that have limited views per month before requiring a subscription also have terms of service you are agreeing to. Just because someone refuses to read or acknowledge them doesn't mean those terms don't exist.
25-06-2012, 05:24 PM
(25-06-2012 03:14 PM)morondog Wrote:  Why is stealing unethical?

Ownership is a strange idea anyway...
Ethics and law are, to borrow a phrase, two NOMAs (Non Overlapping Magisteria Smile )
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
25-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Newspapers are going broke left and right. They employ people who need to make a living - they don't work for free just to amuse you.

If you don't care if these articles continue to exist, go ahead and clear your cookies.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man