Do you think this is unethical?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-08-2012, 11:19 AM
RE: Do you think this is unethical?
(04-08-2012 10:12 AM)Humakt Wrote:  I get your not advocating theft, but just felt that your point on legality isnt right.

You might be right but I tend to doubt it. To be illegal it needs to be a crime, and you need to violate a law. I'm trying to think of how you could be charged for deleting cookies on your own machine, then returning to a previously visited public website. That's why I think it's an ethics issue and not a legal issue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jeff's post
04-08-2012, 11:33 AM
(04-08-2012 10:12 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 08:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Owners of intellectual property, the law, and the courts don't agree with you.

I just finished filing a software patent. Do you honestly think it is OK for you to download a copy of my software and use it for free just because you find a way to do so? Or download and use my copyrighted photographs?

I am saying that in technicality, you are not stealing anything. You are not robbing anything from anyone.

Yes, you are. It's called intellectual property.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-08-2012, 12:42 PM
(04-08-2012 11:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 10:12 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am saying that in technicality, you are not stealing anything. You are not robbing anything from anyone.

Yes, you are. It's called intellectual property.
Is borrowing a game from a friend also stealing? Consider
04-08-2012, 01:42 PM
(04-08-2012 12:42 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 11:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, you are. It's called intellectual property.
Is borrowing a game from a friend also stealing? Consider

No, that comes under the 'fair use' exclusion.

04-08-2012, 02:43 PM
(04-08-2012 11:19 AM)Jeff Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 10:12 AM)Humakt Wrote:  I get your not advocating theft, but just felt that your point on legality isnt right.

You might be right but I tend to doubt it. To be illegal it needs to be a crime, and you need to violate a law. I'm trying to think of how you could be charged for deleting cookies on your own machine, then returning to a previously visited public website. That's why I think it's an ethics issue and not a legal issue.

I dont claim to know the specifics of the law, but I agree you are not breaking the law by deleting cookies on your own machine, if they have a legal claim to the content of their publication, they have a basis in law to charge for that content. If you then take that content you are transgressing that right. The cookie issue is neiher here or there. They offer 10 free views, if they can show youve viewed 11+ times, they can show that youve taken that which does not belong to you.

The fact that the legal case would be to difficult to prosecute, isnt the issue. The issue is it belongs to them, if you take what is theres its not ethical, so yes it does come down to ethics rather than law, because the legal issue is to fiddily to bother with. The ethics are clear as day though. They own it, if you take it thats unethical by its very nature. You dont need it proved or even argued, if you take that which is not yours but someone elses you are in the wrong, simples.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
04-08-2012, 03:29 PM
(04-08-2012 02:43 PM)Humakt Wrote:  You dont need it proved or even argued, if you take that which is not yours but someone elses you are in the wrong, simples.

If I have lots of resources and there are starving people on my doorstep and one steals from me, is he wrong? Am *I* not rather wrong? Sorry for the over the top illustration...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-08-2012, 03:30 PM
(04-08-2012 03:29 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 02:43 PM)Humakt Wrote:  You dont need it proved or even argued, if you take that which is not yours but someone elses you are in the wrong, simples.

If I have lots of resources and there are starving people on my doorstep and one steals from me, is he wrong? Am *I* not rather wrong? Sorry for the over the top illustration...

So you believe the ends justify the means?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
04-08-2012, 04:22 PM
(04-08-2012 03:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So you believe the ends justify the means?

I believe that "stealing is wrong" is too strong a statement... under the right circumstances.

On the other hand when I'm cackling on top of my throne of skulls I do sometimes allow myself to think that the ends justify the means...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
04-08-2012, 04:26 PM
(04-08-2012 04:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  

I believe that "stealing is wrong" is too strong a statement... under the right circumstances.

On the other hand when I'm cackling on top of my throne of skulls I do sometimes allow myself to think that the ends justify the means...

Who defines the right circumstances?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
04-08-2012, 04:28 PM
(04-08-2012 04:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  

Well, duh. The view from the top of the throne of skulls is always like that.Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post