Do you think this is unethical?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
RE: Do you think this is unethical?
(04-08-2012 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 07:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Completely off-track. The open source community agrees at the outset that the work is freely shared. Prior agreement.

If the open source stuff is better, use it. Stealing someone's proprietary software is illegal.

I beg to differ, brotherman, it was you that went off-track when you intimated that viewing copyrighted material without the author's permission was akin to plagiarism. It clearly is not.

It clearly is. It is the illegal misappropriation of someone else's intellectual property.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2012, 12:21 PM
(04-08-2012 08:49 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 05:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  Wrong. Just plain wrong. You are stealing intellectual property. It's like plagiarism. Is plagiarism OK?

It is not like plagiarism at all. And no, of course it isn't. Again, you are under the assumption that I think piracy is acceptable.

No, I am not assuming that. I am trying to understand what part of misappropriation of intellectual property you are defending.

05-08-2012, 06:29 PM
(05-08-2012 12:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I beg to differ, brotherman, it was you that went off-track when you intimated that viewing copyrighted material without the author's permission was akin to plagiarism. It clearly is not.

It clearly is. It is the illegal misappropriation of someone else's intellectual property.

Nope. Copyright protection is time limited and subject to fair use exemptions. Plagiarism is timeless. Careers are ruined by plagiarism, careers are not ruined by not letting the NY Times save cookies on my fucking personal computer.

This is not my signature.
Find all posts by this user
05-08-2012, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2012 08:01 PM by Chas.)
(05-08-2012 06:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 12:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  It clearly is. It is the illegal misappropriation of someone else's intellectual property.

Nope. Copyright protection is time limited and subject to fair use exemptions. Plagiarism is timeless. Careers are ruined by plagiarism, careers are not ruined by not letting the NY Times save cookies on my fucking personal computer.

Plagiarism is like a smash and grab robbery.

You can erase all the cookies you want, but downloading after that is stealing.

05-08-2012, 08:09 PM
(05-08-2012 07:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 06:29 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nope. Copyright protection is time limited and subject to fair use exemptions. Plagiarism is timeless. Careers are ruined by plagiarism, careers are not ruined by not letting the NY Times save cookies on my fucking personal computer.

Plagiarism is like a smash and grab robbery.

You can erase all the cookies you want, but downloading after that is stealing.

I don't allow the cookies in the first place and I don't go out of my way to count them, so I got no fucking clue when I turn criminal. Dude, it's my fucking house. They are trying to establish their presence in my house by shitting cookies in my fucking living room for looking at their content? Not gonna happen.

05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Do you think this is unethical?
Man, I wish someone would shit freshly baked chocolate chip cookies in my living room.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
(04-08-2012 04:31 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-08-2012 04:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Who defines the right circumstances?

Me. Big Grin

It's wrong when anyone else does it.

Consider the moaning that goes on at the moment about how some people are filthy rich and others are dirt poor. Picture a situation where a small elite group controls the vast majority of the resources, and doesn't want to share. Now at some point in the past somehow some concept of ownership was defined which says "if that guy controls some resources then using them without his permission is stealing and therefore wrong"...

Now the small elite group can just use the fact that they own these resources to keep the larger poor group under their control.

If one of the poor, under these circumstances, steals, can you still sya that it is wrong?

You have just given the recipe for revolution.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-08-2012, 11:38 PM
This is like the fight that left the bar into the street, went down the road to the park and into the river.

It's simply called "monitizing" a service. It's what Google does and Facebook is moving to. If you want to work around it you are stealing. If I left my phone lying on a public park bench do you have the right to just pich it up and use it, take it home? It was on a public bench.

1. There is no free lunch.
2. Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean that it's fair use.
3. Remember Napster?

If people can't own what they produce they will not produce. The entire system will collapse. Even Plato knew this and described it in his Republic.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 2 users Like Thomas's post
06-08-2012, 06:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2012 06:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(05-08-2012 11:38 PM)Thomas Wrote:  This is like the fight that left the bar into the street, went down the road to the park and into the river.

It's simply called "monitizing" a service. It's what Google does and Facebook is moving to. If you want to work around it you are stealing.

Bullshit, I disable cookies out of principle to protect my own privacy and my machinery from maliciousness. If that interferes with your attempt to "monetize" my behavior too fucking bad. No skin off my scrotum and I don't see a damn thing unethical about it. Kinda like saying putting a "No Soliciting" sign on my front door is unethical because the door-to-door salesman are deprived of the opportunity to rip me off.

06-08-2012, 07:51 PM
(06-08-2012 06:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(05-08-2012 11:38 PM)Thomas Wrote:  This is like the fight that left the bar into the street, went down the road to the park and into the river.

It's simply called "monitizing" a service. It's what Google does and Facebook is moving to. If you want to work around it you are stealing.

Bullshit, I disable cookies out of principle to protect my own privacy and my machinery from maliciousness. If that interferes with your attempt to "monetize" my behavior too fucking bad. No skin off my scrotum and I don't see a damn thing unethical about it. Kinda like saying putting a "No Soliciting" sign on my front door is unethical because the door-to-door salesman are deprived of the opportunity to rip me off.

No, it's like stealing his sample case then slamming the door in his face.