Do you visit religious tourist attractions and how do you feel about them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Do you visit religious tourist attractions and how do you feel about them?
I'm really looking forward to going to Rome this April and I am sure at one point my family will want to see the Vatican. Now I hate the Catholic church, and I can see myself getting angry there knowing i'm at the home of the headquarters of an evil organisation. To look at all the wealth and beautiful buildings and knowing that the God they worship doesn't exist and seeing all the religious trinkets on sale will make me annoyed that humans can be so stupid. What attitude should I take when I visit the Vatican? I don't want to get angry I just want to accept its bullshit and enjoy the architecture.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheLogicalAthiest's post
21-03-2014, 04:28 PM
RE: Do you visit religious tourist attractions and how do you feel about them?
Do I visit religious tourist attractions? No. Not at all.

Assuming I did, I'd probably be there to laugh at it.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
21-03-2014, 04:46 PM
View it for the artistry, not for the purpose.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 9 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
21-03-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm too stupid to appreciate architecture,so there is no reason for me to go.
How i feel about it? Pay A lot of money to see a building. Since a kazillion people will be there at one time,it will be crowded and people from all over the world will be there ,you are increasing the chance you get a contagious dissease,and pottentially one that the local medical stuff knows nothing about b/c you got a dissease from like. Asia or shit. So you are paying monies to have a bigger chance of getting sick i guess

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
21-03-2014, 04:49 PM
I really like to visit temples and churches (catholic mainly), not theme parks and shit like that, I find the art and architecture beautiful, specially the catholic temples.
Just watch it like art in a museum, you'll find blight in any beautiful thing, so just admire the nice things without thinking so much. Leave the politics for the dinner talk Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 2 users Like nach_in's post
21-03-2014, 05:09 PM
I'd go because I'm a sucker for beautiful works whether it's a oil painting or it's some arch in a building. While I was there I might ponder if religion was needed or useful for prompting works of art and whatnot. So yeah, I'd go and just view it more like a museum than a religious place.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
21-03-2014, 05:32 PM
I always visit cathedrals and old churches whenever I travel abroad. I've been to the Vatican and I would highly recommend it for it's art and architecture. For me Michelangelo's Pietà is the most beautiful sculpture I've ever seen.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
21-03-2014, 05:44 PM
I'd like to visit Rome, but only for the original roman mythology.
BLESS LUPPITER!

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
21-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Yup. I like art and architecture and they are pretty bloody amazing for that. You will get robbed in Rome. Everyone does. If the pickpockets don't get you the 'donations' to get inside these buildings will surely lighten your wallet. They have grumpy looking Nuns and Priests everywhere keeping their beady eyes on who puts money in and if you don't....
21-03-2014, 11:24 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2014 07:30 PM by Anjele.)
I attended a church that was/is a tourist attraction. I can appreciate the beauty of the artwork without being really put off by the religious nature. I haven't been to any others but I think I would feel the same way.

http://www.xavierbasilica.com/minishowcase/index.php

Sadly, they show little of the carvings and the amazing paintings on the ceiling. It's a pretty amazing place. But it was just where we went to church. At least I had artwork to look at while ignoring the mass.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy