Do you visit religious tourist attractions and how do you feel about them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2014, 11:47 PM
RE: Do you visit religious tourist attractions and how do you feel about them?
I'd love to see the Vatican. Sistine Chapel and all that shit...

I'd also love to see Florence, Tuscany, Venice..

I think of all those places the same way. History, art.

I stayed in a hotel in Salzburg that was built in the 1400s. I still find that amazing.

Think of it as history and just enjoy it.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-03-2014, 11:51 PM
I'd like to establish my true egailatarian democracy.
I'd call my civilization "Neo-Rome"
I'd fund architecture so people like you guys will visit my secular tourist attractions.
(I'd also like to genetically modify cats so they have a chemical re@ction in their brain to always follow you. Also solve simple math and create agriculture.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
22-03-2014, 01:20 AM
I once visited the Vatican and was overwhelmed by the scale and intensity of the place. The endless corridors and impressive artwork were magnificent, yet I was put off by the gaudiness, and saddened by the thought that much of the money that paid for the splendor had either been stolen or siphoned from the public using trickery and violence. The enormous edifice was built on the blood and charred bones of millions of innocent people. It’s a gory display of ill-earned wealth.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
22-03-2014, 07:33 AM
I took my parents to see the Sheikh Zayed Mosque when they visited, it is an amazing building with some beautiful, subtle features. Unfortunately, the thing i remember most is the touted giant chandelier which is the ultimate in gaudy tack.

The guides gave a very slick explanation of some islamic culture and answered tourist questions well. I thought it was an interesting day out.

Women have to wear an abaya which gives the tourists a giggle and apparently you're not allowed to make it sexy, Rihanna.

When we visited Canterbury cathedral, my father in law checked I was alright going into a church. I said it was just an interesting building to me but if I was mystically repelled from it I would reconsider.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
23-03-2014, 09:12 AM
I did some very brief touring around Spain recently. Once you've seen three or four cathedrals there isn't much reason to visit more unless you have some specific connection to the new place you're going to see. I observed a few on Sundays and had some ambivalence towards seeing the obviously reduced congregation sizes to the heyday of the buildings and the ageing of the congregations.

Being raised protestant there was a lot I didn't understand about the way these places operate, such as finding all of the little "chapels" along the sides of the cathedrals set up to some saint or another for parishioners to pray at and spend more money enriching.

Working my way through the Prado gallery was also an interesting experience. They had a fairly large wing dedicated to religious art through the middle ages, which at first I enjoyed but by the end I found tedious and exhausting. There was this constant focus on the corrupting effects of this or that and the hell that awaits you if you succumb. Thinking of this being all the art generations of people ever saw was a pretty disturbing idea to me.

I had no (ir)religious objection to visiting these places, and if anything it reaffirmed in my mind that these voices of the past are destined to forever remain there and their institutions to crumble and be replaced with better structures.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-03-2014, 09:34 AM
You should visit. There are some great works of art and architecture there. You can and should enjoy and appreciate the accomplishments of the human beings who created these things, even it was for; or in the name of; religion. You can avoid directly supporting the church by not buying anything while inside the Vatican.
23-03-2014, 09:43 AM
The Sistine Chapel is the last thing you're gonna see. They walk you for what feels like miles before you get there. Try to enjoy everything on the way, though. I was so focused on Sistine Chapel it was frustrating to see signs saying it was just around the corner for 30 corners Dodgy but there are some really nice tapestries on the way and of course a bunch of other sculptures. (Unless I'm confusing it with another museum) Donatello's David is there and so is the Laocoön (my favorite statue of all time!)

David
[Image: Florence_-_David_by_Donatello.jpg]

Laocoön

[Image: Laocoon_Pio-Clementino_Inv1059-1064-1067.jpg]

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
23-03-2014, 04:45 PM
Driving back from New Orleans now. Visited the cemeteries an st Patrick's. Very nice. The art and architecture was amazing.
23-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Sometimes it helps to try to think thru how the artist did it. What tools were needed? How many people it took to build? Thinking thru the logistics can help separate the art from the politics. Look at the project from the artists point of view.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
23-03-2014, 06:06 PM
I have not traveled since my de-conversion, but I would will go to churches next time I travel. The art and architecture are worth it. Would you also consider skipping out on checking out the pagen temples In Rome? If you do go the the vatican bring a mirror to look at the ceiling. It will save your neck. like so

[Image: file.php?id=38357]