Do you visit religious tourist attractions and how do you feel about them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2014, 06:07 PM
RE: Do you visit religious tourist attractions and how do you feel about them?
I want to visit a masque. I always wondered how muslims do it.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2014, 10:24 AM
(23-03-2014 06:07 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I want to visit a masque. I always wondered how muslims do it.

Maybe they "do it" in a masque, but usually they pray in a mosque.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 1 user Likes Colourcraze's post
24-03-2014, 11:52 AM
I want to see the pyramids and I don't believe in their gods, so sure, if it interests me, I'll take a walk through it. During a trip to Greece and Turkey I visited churches and Greek / Roman ruins. Some of it is quite interesting in the history of humankind. My suggestion is not to get yourself all worked up about it and enjoy the magnificence, imagine the times as they were and perhaps you'll be a better person afterwards for having had the experience.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
24-03-2014, 02:46 PM
(24-03-2014 11:52 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I want to see the pyramids and I don't believe in their gods, so sure, if it interests me, I'll take a walk through it. During a trip to Greece and Turkey I visited churches and Greek / Roman ruins. Some of it is quite interesting in the history of humankind. My suggestion is not to get yourself all worked up about it and enjoy the magnificence, imagine the times as they were and perhaps you'll be a better person afterwards for having had the experience.

Did you go to the Virgin Mary's house near Ephesus? That is the weirdest place ever. There was a young Nun kind of guarding it and she looked bloody unhappy bordering on angry. You'd think that would be a primo job for a Nun. Mind you of someone made me stand in an empty dirt hut all day I would be pretty pissed as well.
24-03-2014, 05:11 PM
(24-03-2014 10:24 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(23-03-2014 06:07 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  I want to visit a masque. I always wondered how muslims do it.

Maybe they "do it" in a masque, but usually they pray in a mosque.

Blink Okay. That explains the 72 virgins.Confused

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] ♪僕は恐怖の一定した状態に住んで、不幸、逃すもう?僕は、それはもう痛いときも気づかないと
24-03-2014, 05:13 PM
If I have to pay money to visit, no way.
24-03-2014, 07:09 PM
I have visited numerous religious tourist attractions my family made me go to. Sometimes, it's fun to look at the sites, with a mind not brain-washed, and see how unique and liberated you are compared to the people drooling all over cobble stones.

If you go to a site of religious significance to religious people, you'll come across a community of people. They are warm to each other and freely express their beliefs, which might cause you to become uncomfortable as you might feel increasingly isolated as time goes by, knowing you are very, very different from these people (this depends on the type of person you are, however. Some people don't mind).

Remember as you go to the Vatican that you are going as an outside observer, seeing into the poisoned mind ready to dissect it. Take it as a learning experience, because it is. I speak for myself when I say this, but personally after visiting all that my religious family held sentimental, I walked away with my atheism significantly stronger. I was able to connect; to relate to them and why they felt this way because I previously did so myself. I could picture from an aeroplane perspective me, sort of watching myself watching these people. I'm not one of them however, which made me feel really incredibly special. I am free from the chains these tricked people foolishly embrace delightfully to be sub-subservient to a slave master! I also empathized with the people, to a certain degree just seeing them praying desperately for something to be fulfilled that was obviously impossible made me understand more of their hopelessness. Them having to resort to such obviously hopeless ways because of how they had no control of the situation they were dealing with and praying at their site was something to really see. So basically I felt isolated from their community, though at the same time I felt unique and liberated.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
24-03-2014, 08:11 PM
(24-03-2014 02:46 PM)Pippen Wrote:  
(24-03-2014 11:52 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I want to see the pyramids and I don't believe in their gods, so sure, if it interests me, I'll take a walk through it. During a trip to Greece and Turkey I visited churches and Greek / Roman ruins. Some of it is quite interesting in the history of humankind. My suggestion is not to get yourself all worked up about it and enjoy the magnificence, imagine the times as they were and perhaps you'll be a better person afterwards for having had the experience.

Did you go to the Virgin Mary's house near Ephesus? That is the weirdest place ever. There was a young Nun kind of guarding it and she looked bloody unhappy bordering on angry. You'd think that would be a primo job for a Nun. Mind you of someone made me stand in an empty dirt hut all day I would be pretty pissed as well.
Yeah we saw that. That was a bit of a dud but it was on the tour group's itinerary.

Hagia Sophia was very cool.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
24-03-2014, 08:37 PM
(21-03-2014 04:17 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I'm really looking forward to going to Rome this April and I am sure at one point my family will want to see the Vatican. Now I hate the Catholic church, and I can see myself getting angry there knowing i'm at the home of the headquarters of an evil organisation. To look at all the wealth and beautiful buildings and knowing that the God they worship doesn't exist and seeing all the religious trinkets on sale will make me annoyed that humans can be so stupid. What attitude should I take when I visit the Vatican? I don't want to get angry I just want to accept its bullshit and enjoy the architecture.

I've been to the Vatican a couple times. Try to get into a tour that goes into the Library and the archives. There's a lot of cool stuff there. I saw the "Bull" that excommunicated Henry the VIII. The first time I was there I was with my Gramps, and I was pretty young. The last time I was there I asked a few "embarrassing" questions. I pointed to the spot in the Sistine ceiling where Michelangelo has a dude "mooning" the church. They said "we need to move along now". Tongue There are some other REALLY interesting places / museums in Rome though .. and some amazing restaurants. You could spend a year in Rome's museums, and never enter a church. But a lot of the great art happens to be in them. I like the Roman mosaics. They are cool. They drive like maniacs in Rome. I liked Florence a lot more. Go biking on the Amalfi coast. That was THE best.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
24-03-2014, 10:14 PM
(24-03-2014 08:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(21-03-2014 04:17 PM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  I'm really looking forward to going to Rome this April and I am sure at one point my family will want to see the Vatican. Now I hate the Catholic church, and I can see myself getting angry there knowing i'm at the home of the headquarters of an evil organisation. To look at all the wealth and beautiful buildings and knowing that the God they worship doesn't exist and seeing all the religious trinkets on sale will make me annoyed that humans can be so stupid. What attitude should I take when I visit the Vatican? I don't want to get angry I just want to accept its bullshit and enjoy the architecture.

I've been to the Vatican a couple times. Try to get into a tour that goes into the Library and the archives. There's a lot of cool stuff there. I saw the "Bull" that excommunicated Henry the VIII. The first time I was there I was with my Gramps, and I was pretty young. The last time I was there I asked a few "embarrassing" questions. I pointed to the spot in the Sistine ceiling where Michelangelo has a dude "mooning" the church. They said "we need to move along now". Tongue There are some other REALLY interesting places / museums in Rome though .. and some amazing restaurants. You could spend a year in Rome's museums, and never enter a church. But a lot of the great art happens to be in them. I like the Roman mosaics. They are cool. They drive like maniacs in Rome. I liked Florence a lot more. Go biking on the Amalfi coast. That was THE best.

Next time, point this one out too.

[Image: Michelangelo-Sistine-Chapel-Adam-Brain-.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]