Do you volunteer? If so, where?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Do you volunteer? If so, where?
I know many here used to volunteer thru their former churches. I was raised a heathen, so our "volunteer" time was more one on one helping those that we came across, neighbors, friends, etc.

There are so many good causes that need help and I was just wondering what the TTA community members do. While we still help one on one with people we come across I am wanting to get my children involved in something more organized.

I have been feeling the need to help with dogs but can't take a new furry friend into our home at the moment but have found an organization that builds fences for dogs so they can be untethered/unchained. And I've heard about the problem that black dogs rarely get adopted, part of the problem is that it's hard to get a good photograph of a black dog, so people don't see their cuteness. (Please don't turn this into a black dog racism thread).

I just want to know what you do to help your community.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
20-01-2014, 10:52 AM
RE: Do you volunteer? If so, where?
I work with shut-ins and battered women.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 4 users Like WitchSabrina's post
20-01-2014, 10:54 AM
I volunteer at the library twice a week, usually helping the little people find books. They like to chatter away at me and I listen with polite interest. Sometimes they draw me pictures, and I sit with them during story time. I find it sweet that they all refer to me as "Miss Lainy"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
20-01-2014, 12:25 PM
(20-01-2014 10:45 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ...
I just want to know what you do to help your community.

I sponsor a community of fallen women.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
20-01-2014, 12:42 PM
I did go to help at a dog shelter. They catched dogs of the street,neutered(?) them,vaccinated and wormed (?) them,and sold them 50 buck a dog

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
[+] 3 users Like Lightvader's post
20-01-2014, 12:43 PM
My wife and I run a giant dog breed rescue (St Bernards, Mastiffs, Great Danes, etc.) 1-3 dogs live with us at all times it seems. 24 hours a day, every day. We had no idea it would consume us so wholly when we incorporated.

I am also known as a local Habitat for Humanity volunteer/leader. Interestingly enough, HFH truly is an ecumenical organization. Despite being a Christian-based organization, I don't feel much pressure. They do pray often, but I don't. I got to hold hands in a prayer circle once, but I still didn't pray.

I've met quite a few lapsed christians and skeptics among the volunteer ranks and the employees.
[+] 3 users Like Regular_Joe's post
20-01-2014, 12:45 PM
(20-01-2014 12:43 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  My wife and I run a giant dog breed rescue (St Bernards, Mastiffs, Great Danes, etc.) 1-3 dogs live with us at all times it seems. 24 hours a day, every day. We had no idea it would consume us so wholly when we incorporated.

I am also known as a local Habitat for Humanity volunteer/leader. Interestingly enough, HFH truly is an ecumenical organization. Despite being a Christian-based organization, I don't feel much pressure. They do pray often, but I don't. I got to hold hands in a prayer circle once, but I still didn't pray.

I've met quite a few lapsed christians and skeptics among the volunteer ranks and the employees.

That's a large commitment.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
20-01-2014, 12:59 PM
If I may... This is Hope and Grace:

[Image: th_HopeandGrace_zps512eef98.jpg]
[+] 8 users Like Regular_Joe's post
20-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Great Dane Rescue of the Carolina's is near me, when I drive by it's like a herd of cattle running thru their field, lol.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
20-01-2014, 01:05 PM
We partner with the Great Dane Rescue of the Commonwealth (Virginia)...

After years of doing this, the Danes have become my favorite of the Giants. They are the least aggressive, most compliant, best lap dogs of them all. LOL
[+] 6 users Like Regular_Joe's post