Do you volunteer? If so, where?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2014, 01:42 PM
RE: Do you volunteer? If so, where?
(20-01-2014 01:05 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  We partner with the Great Dane Rescue of the Commonwealth (Virginia)...

After years of doing this, the Danes have become my favorite of the Giants. They are the least aggressive, most compliant, best lap dogs of them all. LOL

LOL apparently you haven't any Newfs.

[Image: bella-12-05.jpg]

[Image: bacchella-adriano-brown-newfoundland-dog-running.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
20-01-2014, 02:03 PM
I work closely with several cancer organizations. I provide free marijuana for compassionate care. I also work with an AIDS charity doing the same for people with AIDS that suffer from Wasting Syndrome.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 6 users Like Stark Raving's post
20-01-2014, 02:41 PM
(20-01-2014 01:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(20-01-2014 01:05 PM)Regular_Joe Wrote:  We partner with the Great Dane Rescue of the Commonwealth (Virginia)...

After years of doing this, the Danes have become my favorite of the Giants. They are the least aggressive, most compliant, best lap dogs of them all. LOL

No. Fortunately, either the community is so small we never get called for one of there's some magic surrounding Newfie owners. I've met quite a few, and gotta give credit where credit is due, they're beautiful and the ones I've met have been terrific.
[+] 2 users Like Regular_Joe's post
20-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Dog Rescue.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
20-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I used to deliver meals on wheels.

Most recently I've been making meals for a family that's going through a hard time. Sad

I also drove a neighbor to chemo appointments and cleaned her home, while her partner worked -- it was the very least I could do.

I used to volunteer a bit at my kid's school too -- but he put the kibosh on that. Lol.

I'm still active in the PTA.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-01-2014, 05:46 PM
(20-01-2014 01:42 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  

There's one across the street and I swear every time I see it I think it's a bear. Scares me to death. LOL

Hubby and I tend to be a half-way house for dogs in transit. We never sought to do this - it just happens. We've been foster parents for dogs for over 20 yrs.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
20-01-2014, 06:32 PM
(20-01-2014 10:45 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I know many here used to volunteer thru their former churches. I was raised a heathen, so our "volunteer" time was more one on one helping those that we came across, neighbors, friends, etc.

There are so many good causes that need help and I was just wondering what the TTA community members do. While we still help one on one with people we come across I am wanting to get my children involved in something more organized.

I have been feeling the need to help with dogs but can't take a new furry friend into our home at the moment but have found an organization that builds fences for dogs so they can be untethered/unchained. And I've heard about the problem that black dogs rarely get adopted, part of the problem is that it's hard to get a good photograph of a black dog, so people don't see their cuteness. (Please don't turn this into a black dog racism thread).

I just want to know what you do to help your community.

I used to volunteer with St. John's Ambulance. Technically I am still a member, however I have not attended any meetings or training sessions in about two years now due to study and desire for free time, so I am no longer up to scratch training wise and wouldn't be able to sign up for duties (in a duty, volunteers from the Adult and Cadet groups attend public and private events to provide medical aid to those in attendance), even if I particularly wanted too.
All up, including time I spent before I was a member helping my father probably amounts to above 400 hours in volunteer work. I even assisted (marginally, but my father loves to play it up like I actually did something helpful) in saving a man's life once.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
20-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Do you volunteer? If so, where?

I do, and I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. Tongue
Two places. One is religiously affiliated. They know I'm a "skeptic", but it's never an issue.
I wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-01-2014, 02:33 AM
I volunteer at a science museum. Previously I was a volunteer at a hospital and nursing home.
[+] 1 user Likes Dena's post