Do you walk the talk? If so how? if not, why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2011, 02:48 PM
RE: Do you walk the talk? If so how? if not, why?
Walking the talk for who??? Yourself or others......and which is more important.

I see people in life who seem to want to push there views on people......wether it be a religious one or anything else......why do these people do it???

Is it to re-affirm your own beliefs I wonder???

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. One of you said, "what do I care what other people believe?" I hear what you're saying, this is like when my mom taught me that someone should be able to do what they liked as long as it wasn't hurting someone. Well, there you go.

I heard Michael Shermer put it succinctly: beliefs have consequences.

If we elect a bunch of yahoos who deny cimate change because they are sure god will take care his special pets, then then their beliefs have moved into the zone of hurting others. As one example. Much of xtianity is love & be gentle & etc, & that's great when people run food banks & send backpacks to homeless children, but we all know the stupid spreads like that gallon jug of cheap pancake syrup that fell over in the trunk of the car. I don't care if people wear funny clothes, chant, have baffling rituals, but then they get to make laws based on these things.

I do think it's possible to have your view out there & still be moderately pleasant. I mean, being an activist doesn't require you to be obnoxious or abrasive.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
09-09-2011, 03:09 PM
There is a difference between not throwing your own beliefs in someone's face and standing idly while others throw their beliefs in yours. I don't wear my non-belief on my sleeve and don't go around knocking on doors and trying to de-convert people, but that does not mean I don't get involved when some crackpot runs for office on a "prayer" platform or wants to teach that the Flintstones don't belong on the Cartoon Network but should instead be on the History Channel.

If I understood the question, it was how much advertising do people do about their views on god on religion. At least, that is the one that I answered. If, however, you're asking if we are willing to sit in the back of the bus because of our atheism, that is a vastly different question and, from at least me, will get a very different response.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
09-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Yes, finally I am able to do that. Like you I stated a website (including a blog) slowly putting things linking to it on facebook, ( although I got rid of most of my fundie ex's family from it) , I am open at work, and with family about who I am and what I believe, without pushing what I think onto others. There are times when i cannot keep quite, others when its fine to. And its good. A number of old friends no longer talk to me, but I have new friends.

I want for myself what I want for every women, absolute equality. Agnes Macphail
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-09-2011, 05:22 PM
(08-09-2011 11:47 PM)EvilMomLady Wrote:  Where are you in your personal journey toward putting yourself out there? Do you think you could or should do more? What do you do now? Where are you on the subtle/obnoxious scale? Do you feel you are held back by potential damage if people know your views?

I'm "out". All of my friends and family are well-aware that I'm an atheist, and I advertise that regularly through a blog. I advertise this blog on Facebook to all of my Christian friends/family (of my 150 or so Facebook friends I have 2 non-Christian friends).

I am rather obnoxious, as they also know that I'll happily argue against their beliefs on any occasion. I'm not rude... I don't preach to someone who doesn't want to discuss religion. But if we're discussing politics, I'll happily discuss my point of view and why I hold it.

I think everyone should blog. It's free, it's easy, and it's only semi-public - if someone doesn't care to hear your views, they're free to avoid it by not visiting your page.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
10-09-2011, 01:28 AM

I am openly atheist and I am very proud when I have the opportunity to tell people this. I walk the talk to the best of my abilities with every chance I get. A friend of mine and I are putting together the Atheist Society of Memorial University to try and become more active and to supply logic and evidence, as opposed to offering blind faith. He and I also got Darwin fish tattoos, which we see as a form of brand to show our adamance. We hope to reach out to fellow atheist and to give them to courage to be as open and active as we try to be.
Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2011, 02:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2011 03:45 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(09-09-2011 02:09 AM)zaika Wrote:  I don't walk the talk because I'm not confident in what I believe. I *want* to walk the talk, though. I want to say all sorts of stuff to my religious friends and family who I feel are being harmed...but I refrain because I don't feel I know enough about my own beliefs to really say anything useful to them.

Plus, I'm terrified of getting into a heated discussion and not being able to hold my own. lol

Hey....I think what you say is great! You should be confident!

Here is the crux.....you will become what you make yourself.

The bible tells us we are weak and useless and sinners. What bullshit! Be proud and strong! No one can really hurt you if you respect yourself.

Have a read about my personal struggle in my next post.

Hi....I'll tell you what I'm about.

I've spent all my spare time in the last 6 years studying the history and times of the bible, and I've written a book about what I've learnt.

My idea is to "deconstruct" Christianity by exposing the lies and immorality in the bible. I have discovered some fascinating history, and I'm hoping that people will read my book and, for the first time ever, understand what Christianity is all about.

I have a website, http://www.markfulton.org , and the book, called "Get Over Christianity by Understanding It" is currently getting its second copy edit at "create space", an arm of Amazon.

I want to make some videos for youtube, and I want to get on "TED".

I will tell you that all of this has been a long, lonely journey, and quite exhausting. It has cost me a few relationships. The world of publicity is a major hurdle. I have no idea whether my writing will be good enough to appeal to people. I'm well aware the whole thing may not take off, and many people will heap shit on me, but I'm still going full steam ahead. I feel passionate that I have something to say.

Starcrash, I have read some of your blogs and they are great. I will try to make you a friend on facebook. If anyone out there wants to be my friend on facebook well I'm on there.

Any feedback, positive or negative, on my website would be appreciated.

Evilmumlady, thanks for putting up this thread. If we're not going to be like the "Judean People's Front" LOL we need to put our ideas into action.
(09-09-2011 02:48 PM)bemore Wrote:  Walking the talk for who??? Yourself or others......and which is more important.

I see people in life who seem to want to push there views on people......wether it be a religious one or anything else......why do these people do it???

Is it to re-affirm your own beliefs I wonder???

I think the door knocking religious evangelists are guilty of trying to reaffirm their own beliefs and /or increasing the power and wealth of their church. That, in my opinion, is immoral, because the proselytising is promoted as being beneficial for the victim, whereas that is not the real game.

As a pro active atheist, I am hoping to help educate my fellow man with the aim being to make the world a better place. I don't think I have a burning need to prove to myself or anyone else that I am "right", although I must admit it is very satisfying when someone looks me in the eye and says "I get that". That is a very different agenda to talking someone into joining a cult.
13-09-2011, 01:44 PM
(12-09-2011 02:56 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I have a website, http://www.markfulton.org , and the book, called "Get Over Christianity by Understanding It" is currently getting its second copy edit at "create space", an arm of Amazon.

I want to make some videos for youtube, and I want to get on "TED".

Starcrash, I have read some of your blogs and they are great. I will try to make you a friend on facebook. If anyone out there wants to be my friend on facebook well I'm on there.

Who knew? There's no index for atheist blogs as far as I know. I visited your site, and I've enjoyed your thoughts. I'll be sure to check in regularly.

If you want to befriend me on Facebook, my real name is Supernova Kasprzak. I shouldn't be hard to find, as I'm pretty damn sure no one else has my name.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
15-09-2011, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2011 02:03 AM by Mark Fulton.)
Re "I don't have either the time or the knowledge necessary to answer all the questions and arguments that have been raised."

That's bullshit Theo and you know it. Your know your arguments are weak and you're not man enough to admit it. You have the time to post over 1200 comments on the Christian forum, some of them over a page long, yet claim you're too busy or too stupid to answer mine. You won't answer this question, but don't you ever get sick of dodging questions and avoiding reality?
(10-09-2011 01:28 AM)Andrew Collins Wrote:  I am openly atheist and I am very proud when I have the opportunity to tell people this. I walk the talk to the best of my abilities with every chance I get. A friend of mine and I are putting together the Atheist Society of Memorial University to try and become more active and to supply logic and evidence, as opposed to offering blind faith. He and I also got Darwin fish tattoos, which we see as a form of brand to show our adamance. We hope to reach out to fellow atheist and to give them to courage to be as open and active as we try to be.

Good on you! Do you have a website yet?
15-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Interesting discussion. However I think the core question is, as always, what do you do? All of us who are atheists are pretty familiar with the arguments and facts, pro and con. But what then do you do? If you believe that religious belief, particularly organized religion, is a serious detriment to society (see Christian politicians, etc.) then I submit you should act. How you act is up to you. If you believe in live and let live, then don't act.
But, as was pointed out, actions have consequences. And that is the struggle - what consequences can you accept? That's my personal challenge.