Poll: Do you want an after life?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Do you want an afterlife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Do you want an afterlife?
Sorry if this was already brought up. It seems like an obvious big question for an atheist.

Although you are an altheist do you want/wish there was an afterlife?

Feel free to interject your fantasy afterlife. Although it may be hard to top 72 virgins.
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 08:04 PM
RE: Do you want an afterlife?
Truly, I don't see the point, what use would I give to this eternal life? if there is no risk to die, why would I care for... anything?

It would be the borest thing to do.

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 08:08 PM
(05-07-2011 08:04 PM)Maumin Wrote:  Truly, I don't see the point, what use would I give to this eternal life? if there is no risk to die, why would I care for... anything?

Sorry? So the fact that you are going to die is the reason you enjoy a good conversation? Video games? Music? Art? Sex? Cars? Food? Adventure?

The OP's topic wasn't limited to anything, so to incline there would be boredom would be at your own willingness to have it in your afterlife.
05-07-2011, 08:22 PM
(05-07-2011 08:08 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  
(05-07-2011 08:04 PM)Maumin Wrote:  Truly, I don't see the point, what use would I give to this eternal life? if there is no risk to die, why would I care for... anything?

Sorry? So the fact that you are going to die is the reason you enjoy a good conversation? Video games? Music? Art? Sex? Cars? Food? Adventure?

The OP's topic wasn't limited to anything, so to incline there would be boredom would be at your own willingness to have it in your afterlife.

I don't enjoy those things only because I'll die someday, but if I'm aware that no matter what I do, I'd just keep on "living" that I would not enjoy.

Let me give you an example: I love buji jumping, and part of the excitement of jumping is the knowledge that the damn rope might brake. If I'd jump without fear of anything, it would not be fun because you take away the risk.

By the time you stop ready this, you'll realze what a waste of time it has been Big Grin
05-07-2011, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2011 08:32 PM by NotSoVacuous.)
(05-07-2011 08:22 PM)Maumin Wrote:  I don't enjoy those things only because I'll die someday, but if I'm aware that no matter what I do, I'd just keep on "living" that I would not enjoy.

Let me give you an example: I love buji jumping, and part of the excitement of jumping is the knowledge that the damn rope might brake. If I'd jump without fear of anything, it would not be fun because you take away the risk.

I really thought the joy was in the falling part. Must just be me. But you are assuming that this afterlife would be bound to the emotions you feel here. Who is to say you wouldn't enjoy it in a different way?

To say your emotions of boredom would travel with you in an afterlife would also assume the emotions of being sad, angry, and tired would be attributed also. I think the point of an afterlife wouldn't permit these inconveniences.
05-07-2011, 08:44 PM
If I could interject any afterlife I want, then sure. I could view and watch over the world as the human race grows, skip around in time and place, and when eternity begins to stretch on and on, I could terminate myself. In reality, if I could interject any afterlife, I could interject an afterlife where I am god, and people... If you vote for me as god, I promise I will reverse many of the faulty polices of my predecessors and usher in a new age of peace.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
05-07-2011, 08:50 PM
(05-07-2011 08:28 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I really thought the joy was in the falling part. Must just be me. But you are assuming that this afterlife would be bound to the emotions you feel here. Who is to say you wouldn't enjoy it in a different way?

To say your emotions of boredom would travel with you in an afterlife would also assume the emotions of being sad, angry, and tired would be attributed also. I think the point of an afterlife wouldn't permit these inconveniences.

First, falling gives the joy, yeah, but why? because there is a deep fear to death while falling, hence, no death risk = no joy. That's how I see it.

Second, let's give it a shot to the "no inconveniences" idea. With an infinite amount of time in a given afterlife + no bad emotions, what would you do? no reason to improve on science, because there is no point, also no reason to be happy cause there is no sadness, so why to wish for an afterlife?

05-07-2011, 09:01 PM
(05-07-2011 08:50 PM)Maumin Wrote:  First, falling gives the joy, yeah, but why? because there is a deep fear to death while falling, hence, no death risk = no joy. That's how I see it.

Second, let's give it a shot to the "no inconveniences" idea. With an infinite amount of time in a given afterlife + no bad emotions, what would you do? no reason to improve on science, because there is no point, also no reason to be happy cause there is no sadness, so why to wish for an afterlife?

The joy of bungee jumping I think is subjective, we will leave it at that.

Second, you are making this afterlife out to be like there is a choice to not enjoy what you are forced to enjoy. Really don't think you would have a say in it. Besides, if you did, it would be like your life now, ( or what I would hope to presume it is like ) you try to do what ever makes you most happy. Why couldn't this be an infinite status.

To comment on:
Quote: also no reason to be happy cause there is no sadness

Really, you are placing human emotion in a place that hypothetically doesn't have to pertain to it.

I will have to say, you were terrible at make-believe as a child weren't you.
05-07-2011, 09:04 PM
(05-07-2011 08:28 PM)NotSoVacuous Wrote:  I really thought the joy was in the falling part. Must just be me. But you are assuming that this afterlife would be bound to the emotions you feel here. Who is to say you wouldn't enjoy it in a different way?

Would it be possible to exist without negative emotions? I don't think it would. If you are in the afterlife and you can see the whole world and you see some close to you suffering then how would it be possible to not feel any form of negative emotion? The only way to remove all negative emotions would be to remove all positive ones as well. If this was the case then what is the point of an afterlife? No happiness, no enjoyment, no relationships of any kind with others, just a kind of numbness as you sit through existence and it lasts forever. If that is the case I would take non-existence any day.

Also the basic feasibility of an afterlife would be impractical. What would happen to babies? Would they live out existence in perpetual infancy or would they be as they would have been if they had had the chance to grow up and, if so, how would that work with their family as they would essentially be meeting a stranger? How about the very old? Would they be wandering around heaven with walking sticks and zimmer frames or would they appear as they were when they were younger?

I would only consider the idea of whether I would want an afterlife if someone could suggest adequate solutions to these, and other, problems.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
05-07-2011, 10:44 PM
If we were to imagine that time in this after life was infinite, as are the options. I still would want no part. Honestly the only way it could work is if the afterlife creator in question made it so I could only enjoy happiness and excitement. Because if I could feel boredom and disappointment I would be bound to do so in a world with no consequence. Thus any joy I would receive from the limitless number of events in said afterlife would not be my own and I'd rather just not bother.
However this all falls under the if the afterlife is a continuous stream of time where we are always aware of the process of events, as opposed to maybe an afterlife where you are constantly reborn as someone new to view this world in a different light, to experience things in an altered way without any foreknowledge of tour previous existence. There are far too many possibilities an so again no matter the way an afterlife would work I think I'd rather opt out, unless of course I could partake a trial period.
Of course it would probably end up being as crappy and half assed as Netflix. I mean fright night as a new arrival? And no fight club? What's up Netflix you suck!

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user