Poll: Do you want an after life?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Do you want an afterlife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2011, 04:42 AM
RE: Do you want an afterlife?
Maybe yes, but I'm all ready if there is none. My fantasy afterlife? A place where I can do scientific experiments the whole day, with books everywhere to refer and read. I can create my new world with science, fulfilling my childhood fantasy and dreams. For those curious, that's how my username came about, from a childhood fantasy land which I still hold dearly to me. That's the weird thing with humans, sometimes we just want to escape the horrors of the real world, we create our own fantasy or believe in someone's fantasy, like (you know who these people are). I'm the former Big Grin

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 06:45 AM

Time would still be relevent but an eternal afterlife would change everything in ways we may not even be able to imagine. Going on what others have said the idea seems to be based on a "spirit" form that can float around the universe and maybe through time. I would also like to add the rule that you only have what knowledge you started with. We should probably also add a rule that the "spirit" minds capacity is also infinite.

To answer the emotions question. I think its simpler for us to think of it in terms of living human emotion. I would imagine in this case that you would start out with this living human emotion but over time they may dull or change into new emotions. If you where overlooking a loved one and saw them harmed/hurt you may initially be upset until you realized that event will be insignifigant in an infinite lifespan. That leads to a baby dieing.

In this fantasy I imagine a baby would grow and learn from the point which it died. Although our physical bodies wouldnt be there our mind would have to be for it to exist anyway.

So back on the inifinite evolution and emotions. Imagine your ups and owns of emotion in your living life. Some days are good and some not so good. Some months are good, some years, some decades. I imagine bad emotion would be there although having inifinity to ponder why things upset you would be a remedy. While having inifnity to figure out what excites you would also amplify that emotion. So with inifinite time we could see larger fluxuation's in emotional seasons. Such as that millenia was a good one, and so on.

In an infinate timeline theoretically shouldnt anything possible, be possible? Keep in mind your existance is pretty much relative to our own mind.
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2011 04:58 PM by Peterkin.)
Well, sure. I don't believe i'll get one; nor do i think the dead people i know are still hanging around.
That doesn't stop me imagining heaven: It's a cultural concept that we all grew up with, that has been present, more and less consciously, in our language and literature, social life, entertainment, moral instruction and dreams.

A fantasy game i have is a version of heaven that we furnish ourselves. Collect and retain whatever you would hate to lose. A perfect sunset, a funny joke, a flowering acacia, a sprightly tune, first prize in Gr 4 spelling, the smell of baking bread... all the best stuff you experienced on earth. When we die, we bring as much luggage as we've been able to collect and keep fresh in memory - and we add it to what's already there. Heaven consists of what all the people who ever lived considered worth keeping forever. It's fun to imagine sampling all those experiences. Not boring.

What this is, really, an exercise in mindfulness. Since you can't take it with you, savour it now.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
07-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Be careful what you wish for. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-07-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't know, it would be cool to float around through the cosmos as energy...sentient energy.

My husband always had these unique thoughts about souls and such. He says the reason there we have feelings such as isolation, loneliness, and not fitting in is because we are isolated from the collective, a place where all life energy comes from. The reason we seek companionship with other living things is because they have a piece of the collective inside of them, and it makes us feel happier. We imbibe a small amount of other's energy, so those that we love never really leave us anyways.

Upon death we go back to the collective and get recycled and put back into new energy across the universe.

Sappy and unrealistic, but a nice thought, no?

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes monkeyshine89's post
07-07-2011, 09:19 PM
(07-07-2011 08:59 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I don't know, it would be cool to float around through the cosmos as energy...sentient energy.

My husband always had these unique thoughts about souls and such. He says the reason there we have feelings such as isolation, loneliness, and not fitting in is because we are isolated from the collective, a place where all life energy comes from. The reason we seek companionship with other living things is because they have a piece of the collective inside of them, and it makes us feel happier. We imbibe a small amount of other's energy, so those that we love never really leave us anyways.

Upon death we go back to the collective and get recycled and put back into new energy across the universe.

Yes and no. I mean, if we are souls who are seeking and yearning to be reunited with all other souls, but constantly being ripped from them, with just enough time together to remind us of that there is a better a place out there. Creating an eternal cycle of sadness and loneliness interspersed with a tantalizing amount of peace and tranquility... Just saying.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
08-07-2011, 05:11 PM
(07-07-2011 08:59 PM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  I don't know, it would be cool to float around through the cosmos as energy...sentient energy.

It's sweet but if we did have souls, would they been just bursts of energy and matter? Not truly ghosts but just energy. I would like to be buried under a fruit tree and when someone eats one of my fruit, I am going to have sign pop out saying' You just consumed a part of my soul, now I am going to posses you b!tch!!! Tongue

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
08-07-2011, 05:50 PM

I learned this when I used to be a Jew. God made a perfect world and a horrible world. All souls would be transfered to the horrible world we call Earth. There, they would be faced with challenges to prove that if they were good enough for Heaven. Apparently Heaven is a place for non stop joy, and it is the best feeling in the world, while Hell is the worst place, where you get tortured forever.
To answer you question, I do not want there to be an afterlife. In Judaism there is over 600 rules to follow, and if you don't, you burn in Hell. It is very easy to go to Hell in my former religion, and it is not worth the risk. If I gave you coin, and I told you that if it lands on heads, you will go to paradise, but if it lands on tails, you are tortured for ever, would you flip it? I choose no.
Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2011, 02:16 AM
Do I want a aferlife? No.

"The bible has been shown to be logically, historically, philosophically, sociologically, scientifically and even morally dead wrong about´╗┐ everything back to front" - Aron Ra
[+] 2 users Like Danny's post
10-07-2011, 01:23 PM
The way I see it, since we know time is relative to space and since we know that the "universe" is actually more than just our experience of time and space, then the idea of "eternal" is meaningless. Time as we understand it began with the big bang and will end with the eventual heat-death/big-crunch/whatever happens when the universe and our experience of space-time comes to its eventual end. Therefore even if there is an afterlife in which our soul (whatever that means) goes on after death, it can't last longer than time itself.

I'd like to see how time ends, so yes, I'd like to have an afterlife.