Poll: Do you want an after life?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Do you want an afterlife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2011, 02:10 PM

RE: Do you want an afterlife?
(05-07-2011 07:50 PM)Skeluhtor Wrote:  Sorry if this was already brought up. It seems like an obvious big question for an atheist.

Although you are an altheist do you want/wish there was an afterlife?

Feel free to interject your fantasy afterlife. Although it may be hard to top 72 virgins.

73 virgins? That wasn't too hard Tongue

I would like an afterlife, it would be nice to not cease to exist when I die. This is one of the things I hate most about Christianity. At first I believed in heaven and as I started to doubt I eventually went from believing to desperately hoping. I think it took a while before I accepted that I did not believe God or heaven existed, that I acknowledged I was an atheist, and started to accept reality. But after thinking that you'll get to live forever it can be a really hard notion to let go of. I still sometimes find it depressing. I'm very glad that when I have kids, I'll be able to spare them that kind of confusion growing up.
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I don't want to have an afterlife. Knowing there isn't one lets you appreciate life more.
Also, eternity would get pretty damn boring.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2011, 03:56 PM
(10-07-2011 03:42 PM)oliethefolie Wrote:  I don't want to have an afterlife. Knowing there isn't one lets you appreciate life more.

Yup. I'd go so far as to say you are incapable of fully appreciating life while believing in an afterlife.

(10-07-2011 03:42 PM)oliethefolie Wrote:  Also, eternity would get pretty damn boring.

Pretty damn quick too.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
10-07-2011, 07:08 PM

(10-07-2011 03:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-07-2011 03:42 PM)oliethefolie Wrote:  Also, eternity would get pretty damn boring.

Pretty damn quick too.

I dont think it would get boring. Well imagining that I am a floating spirit with infinite mental capacity. Watching all the little nuances of life and the universe with infnite time to catch and analize every wonderous detail.

Think of the media especially TV shows. Everything is essentially the same thing over and over with a differant look. People still get excited and think its new.

As an immortal spirit you could float around watching life forms come and go and the drama's that played out until the end of time. Much like watching TV shows. I know they get boring too but alot of people keep coming back to TV.
10-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Or it would be like watching reruns of blossom for all eternity. Sign me up.

[Image: blossom.jpg]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-07-2011, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2011 08:16 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-07-2011 07:08 PM)Skeluhtor Wrote:  
(10-07-2011 03:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Pretty damn quick too.

I dont think it would get boring. Well imagining that I am a floating spirit with infinite mental capacity. Watching all the little nuances of life and the universe with infnite time to catch and analize every wonderous detail.

Think of the media especially TV shows. Everything is essentially the same thing over and over with a differant look. People still get excited and think its new.

As an immortal spirit you could float around watching life forms come and go and the drama's that played out until the end of time. Much like watching TV shows. I know they get boring too but alot of people keep coming back to TV.

Yeah, I'm bored just reading your description of why I wouldn't be bored.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-07-2011, 06:43 AM
I am missing something here, but it seems that we can choose our afterlife, we can choose a finite afterlife. After 100, or whatever number of, years we can terminate ourselves can cease to exist.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
11-07-2011, 08:19 AM

(11-07-2011 06:43 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  I am missing something here, but it seems that we can choose our afterlife, we can choose a finite afterlife. After 100, or whatever number of, years we can terminate ourselves can cease to exist.

Or just choose to have a finite mental capacity. Slowly after long periods of time you will forget old memories and replace them with new ones. Every 200 years or so you would be a new "person".
So judging by the polls the decissions seem to be split. This is pretty interesting. I wonder how this poll would fair in a christian forum. Obviously it would all be YES but it just shows that they probably arnt stepping back and looking at what an eternity in heaven could mean.

I mean stuck with your wife you married because you knocked her up in highschool for all eternity?
11-07-2011, 08:41 AM
(11-07-2011 08:19 AM)Skeluhtor Wrote:  I mean stuck with your wife you married because you knocked her up in highschool for all eternity?

Matthew 22:30, For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.

Good news, you get to leave that broad! But bad news if you want to spend eternity with her.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Naw, it's okay: you get to live in sin, even if you used to be a devout monogamist. And change partners, of course.... 'cose, if you think you'd get bored with her, imagine how she'd feel with you!

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.