Poll: Do you want an after life?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Do you want an afterlife?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2011, 03:38 PM

RE: Do you want an afterlife?
hi,

Well I think the afterlife thing only helps those who are suffering now and need to believe it gets better but I think it kinda gets us lazy because inconciently we believe that its okey not making much efforts in this life since we will have some kinda chance later on by just being nice now....i dont know if m expressing myself right......Its too easy promissing things afterlife and keeping everyone on the downlow in this life .... I think its just a manipulation ..
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2011, 06:52 PM

(11-07-2011 03:38 PM)nina.naila88 Wrote:  hi,

Well I think the afterlife thing only helps those who are suffering now and need to believe it gets better but I think it kinda gets us lazy because inconciently we believe that its okey not making much efforts in this life since we will have some kinda chance later on by just being nice now....i dont know if m expressing myself right......Its too easy promissing things afterlife and keeping everyone on the downlow in this life .... I think its just a manipulation ..

You're expressing yourself quite clearly, and I completely agree with you. Thinking one has all the time in the world makes it easy to get complacent and lazy. You lose motivation to get things done, and miss out on a lot. Considering there is no afterlife, this can be a harmful belief. Although I don't think a lot of theists take it seriously, it's there as a comfort but as far as influencing their behavior I don't think it's that pervasive.
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
(11-07-2011 03:38 PM)nina.naila88 Wrote:  ... but I think it kinda gets us lazy because inconciently we believe that its okey not making much efforts in this life since we will have some kinda chance later on by just being nice now ...

Yeah, that.

(11-07-2011 03:38 PM)nina.naila88 Wrote:  ....i dont know if m expressing myself right......

Made perfect sense to me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Good question and one we all think about.
As I see it the probabilities are extinction, more of the same or better via reincarnation ,the continuation of which would always be questionable.
Extinction has some appeal as I love a deep sleep but the down side is obvious.
In terms of the reincarnation proposition "we" isn't really we in normal terms but carrier of the monad or soul, so meeting one's beloved in any particular 'life' is highly questionable but not without a plus. Christianity originally taught reincarnation but the notion was seen as opposing the idea of being saved by grace so was crushed.
As for me , I've had a really good share of psychological, dysfunctional family type hassels and maybe religion and atheism helped me in becoming reasonably 'normal'.
I do not dogmatically oppose notions relating to the supernatural; what I do oppose is people who think they know everything about the cosmos in both directions..
When the going gets tough the tough get going~~yeah I haven't become too pissed off not to want an afterlife and thats not to say there is one. Rolleyes Mr Woof
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply