Do you want the debate to end?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2012, 04:56 AM
Do you want the debate to end?
Whether or not it will is a different question. The chances are that it won't but do you want it to end?

I ask because I remember watching the four horsemen a while ago and Christopher Hitchens said that he doesn't think the debate (about god and religion) will end nor does he want it to end. I can't remember his reasons for that statement however.

It also leads me to the question of the purpose of philosophy. Although I haven't studied a lot of philosophy I always wonder whether it is useless or not.

so would you want the debate to end?

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2012, 05:03 AM
RE: Do you want the debate to end?
Yes. It would be great if it ended. It pisses me off so much.

[Image: opforum1.png]
20-04-2012, 05:16 AM
No. Not till (someone not me said) the last king has been strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
20-04-2012, 05:35 AM
It depends entirely on which side of the debate wins. Personally, I think there are far more important things to debate than whether God exists or not. I find it is mainly the theistic side that are holding back those discussions though.
20-04-2012, 05:36 AM
Yes, it would be great if the debate could end in a way that a theist person stops believing in God, or, that I have won and the other person accepts my side of the story as the One side.

Hitchens have said this because he was aware that he will never "win" a debate with a theist, because, have you ever been able to do it?

There you go.

His statement represents his down-to-the-ground views, a realistic one.

In all the other cases, where you are not in an atheist-theist debate, debates end all the time, where either you accept the other side, or the other side accepts your view...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
20-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Don't need no brains to debate religion, therefore it'll never end. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
20-04-2012, 06:57 AM
I'm always well up for a rant when it comes to god, but tbf it's such bullshit I'm loosing interest in even trying to prove a point.

We've all made the transition to the 21st century and enlightenment, let's leave god and his people to their own thing, bumming in heaven.

God? Laughat
20-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Yes I would like the debate to end.

I am fine with either way being true as long as we are certain we have reached the right conclusion. If there is a god, then let it be proven and lets have it actually define for us its intentions and its expectations. lets strip all the fake prophets and clergy from their power and let god do the talking.

If there isn't a god which is what i am confident is the true answer then lets get rid of the waste, bias and ignorance that religion promulgates.

Then lets move on and advance our species along with increased respect for the world around us.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
20-04-2012, 11:21 PM
I don't think so... While I find it rather pointless and time-wasting, I'm great at debates, and I really enjoy them. Religion is the only thing people around me know. I can't debate with them on the existence of the Higgs boson, because they'd probably think "Higgs boson" is some sort of Greek warrior around here. Rolleyes
20-04-2012, 11:46 PM
The debate is over where I'm sitting. Some people are just slow at catching up. Give them time...

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post