Do you want the debate to end?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2012, 11:49 PM
RE: Do you want the debate to end?
Debate is good. Makes people ask questions, talk, engage. It's a healthy thing, so long as it's mature.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2012, 12:08 AM
I've always had more important matters to discuss. To me there's never been a debate, I just sometimes get pestered by people who think they know what's best for me.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post
21-04-2012, 02:28 AM
(20-04-2012 04:56 AM)ALovelyChickenMan Wrote:  Whether or not it will is a different question. The chances are that it won't but do you want it to end?

I ask because I remember watching the four horsemen a while ago and Christopher Hitchens said that he doesn't think the debate (about god and religion) will end nor does he want it to end. I can't remember his reasons for that statement however.

It also leads me to the question of the purpose of philosophy. Although I haven't studied a lot of philosophy I always wonder whether it is useless or not.

so would you want the debate to end?

No I don't want it to end. It's our right as americans to voice our opinions on whatever issues we see fit, as long as it's in a healthy, non threatening way. Debate is healthy. It is what fuels ideas and breakthroughs in anything from art to science in our society. If anybody wants to join the North Korean bandwagon and have your opinions told to you, jump in line....based on current trends, I'm sure we'll be sending rockets that way real soon...perhaps they'll be equipped for passengers Tongue

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
21-04-2012, 03:04 AM

Here's how it's going to go. The Christian Church will end as the pressures of atheism destroy it and the internal atheism of its adherents cause it to become more secular. I'm not sure what the marker will be that will signify the end of the Christian Church, but it's coming fairly soon. Eventually it will have the influence of the Masons or Shriners. It will be more of a civic organization. For a time atheism will have the greatest social control, but people are naturally spiritual and will seek the truth in that regard. About the same time, the scientific community, probably the cosmologists, mathematicians and quantum physicists, will begin to postulate a kind of non-religious intelligent "creative" force in the universe and this will spur many new religious cults, and from those cults a new major religion will probably form. This will be a very dangerous time for mankind, but it will give way to new forms of government and new ways of living life on earth.

The Church is dying. Science is dying, and so is atheism. The new debates will be between the rival cults.

I don't consider this a prophecy. I consider it kind of obvious from what I observe happening around me.
Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2012, 03:30 AM
How the hell is science dying? Scientists agree we barely know everything there is to know, it isn't a field that just ends it continues as there is so much more to learn.
21-04-2012, 04:57 AM
I would like to see the debate end with iran nuking the fuck out of israel and wiping them off the map. once god doesnt show up, they might realize they are not the chosen people and will realize there is no god.after 2 holocausts like that i will be laughing my ass off at all the religious nuts once again praying to god after it all happens.Idiots!!
21-04-2012, 05:34 AM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2012 04:11 PM by Adaptive.)
(21-04-2012 04:57 AM)satan69 Wrote:  I would like to see the debate end with iran nuking the fuck out of israel and wiping them off the map. once god doesnt show up, they might realize they are not the chosen people and will realize there is no god.after 2 holocausts like that i will be laughing my ass off at all the religious nuts once again praying to god after it all happens.Idiots!!
Yeah, because Iran doesn't have any religious nutsacks.

To the OP, yes, I do want the debate to end -- religion is fucking up people's mindset.
21-04-2012, 09:21 AM
(21-04-2012 03:04 AM)Egor Wrote:  The Church is dying. Science is dying, and so is atheism. The new debates will be between the rival cults.
There will always be believers because there is always someone willing to say "God did it," just will always be someone behind them saying "I don't believe that." So The Church will probably die just as many other religions have died before them, but it will be replaced by another and another ad infinitum. It's just a matter of the ratio of believers to nones.

Science doesn't die...I'm not even sure what to say about that, I assumed that was a given...

But I welcome the debate and would be sad to see it end. It's a great exercise in critical thinking and it is a very interesting question which yields many more.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2012, 10:14 AM
LOL at Egor. Your shrink must love his/her sessions with you.

The only way science dies is if religion outlaws it.
21-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Lol @Egor. Science as we know it will continue to happen throughout our universe until our universe dies. Even when our world is long gone, science will go on. Science isn't something people "do." Just because people stop studying science doesn't make it go away.

publius2k4

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
[Image: tumblr_lvj8iyIABB1r2fzujo1_500.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes publius2k4's post